Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrent
I'm looking at getting a 1/70 Saturn 1B and was wondering what the general consensus is on these two kits. Which has better detail, ease of construction, quality of materials, etc...

Obviously, the Apogee kit is substantially more expensive, which is fine if the quality of the kit is that much better. I've read, for example, that many people don't care for the Semroc Apollo capsule and order the Apogee one to use in its place.

Thanks,
Don

As you've mentioned, you can take the SEMROC kit and add the Apogee capsule kit to it for a detailed display. That's what was done with the Apollo 7 project kits, both to make the build easier and to make the details better.

With just a bit of extra internal structure for the very scale-sized LES supports, you can use the Apogee capsule on a flight model. Best of both worlds.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 12-05-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Didn't read what I read...
Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
There are peel-away screens/covers for that.

I was thinking about protecting the entire device from sanding dust, glue and paint spills, etc.

Unlike a computer, it is easy to work the controls of an e-reader through the bag.

Bill
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrent
I'm looking at getting a 1/70 Saturn 1B and was wondering what the general consensus is on these two kits. Which has better detail, ease of construction, quality of materials, etc...

Obviously, the Apogee kit is substantially more expensive, which is fine if the quality of the kit is that much better. I've read, for example, that many people don't care for the Semroc Apollo capsule and order the Apogee one to use in its place.

Thanks,
Don

I've heard the same thing too. I bought the SEMROC Saturn 1B for the price and also the detail the kit offers of the build up fins. I haven't got around to building it yet, but hopefully soon? In the book "Seize the Sky" by Mario Perdue he suggests getting the Semroc kit. He said that no other kits quite compares...BTW- it's a great book if you don't have it?

Dan
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Maker of Shiny things

Default Semroc 1b

I have said this before , and I will say this again IMHO , the Semroc 1b ( for the price ) is the best kit ever built , of any media or subject . I did out of sheer lazyness put the Apogee capsule on it , and i do fly it with the tower on

I built mine with the 4 18's in it
I have flown it on 2 c6-3 , and 2c6-5's as well as 4 c6-3's

I t flys just fine on that load , granted I do stuff I think a 30 inch or so chute in it , so even with the low apogee it can still result in a walk .

I am considering buying another , just to have it in my stash
Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150
I have said this before , and I will say this again IMHO , the Semroc 1b ( for the price ) is the best kit ever built , of any media or subject . I did out of sheer lazyness put the Apogee capsule on it , and i do fly it with the tower on

I built mine with the 4 18's in it
I have flown it on 2 c6-3 , and 2c6-5's as well as 4 c6-3's

I t flys just fine on that load , granted I do stuff I think a 30 inch or so chute in it , so even with the low apogee it can still result in a walk .

I am considering buying another , just to have it in my stash

I think that 32" Dynastar plastic chute would be a good choice
Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Maker of Shiny things

Default ib

I stuff some nomex down the tube and use my biggest thin mil chute in it . I like it to land nice and gentle ( also I have my kid run to retrive it)
If i recall i think i used wadding as well , its not like the thing gets flown that often. If i ever build another I will fill the bottom with 18mm motors (8?)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150
If i ever build another I will fill the bottom with 18mm motors (8?)

The inboard engines are so close together on the real thing that the flame looks like it was from a single large engine. I would think a central 24mm mount surrounded by four 13mm mounts would be the best for visual effect as well and not requiring way too much nose weight. Four A3T motors around a single D12 or even an E9 would make for a great liftoff picture.

Bill
Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The inboard engines are so close together on the real thing that the flame looks like it was from a single large engine. I would think a central 24mm mount surrounded by four 13mm mounts would be the best for visual effect as well and not requiring way too much nose weight. Four A3T motors around a single D12 or even an E9 would make for a great liftoff picture.

Bill

What about a 24mm central mount surrounded by four 18mm motors...that would be cool too...
Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
What about a 24mm central mount surrounded by four 18mm motors...that would be cool too...

Yes, and you will have a greater choice of motors, but you need more nose weight.

Bill
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Yes, and you will have a greater choice of motors, but you need more nose weight.

Bill

seems like it offers a lot of engine options