Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Zep - interesting that yours has the 4 fins as well, later issue.

My original two both had 3 fins, and our club members had 5 or 6 of these, ALL three finned, Estes nosecones, some streamers ( gasp ) , some white silk surplus chutes... seems Al used what he had on hand at times, at least for recovery devices and such.

Will dig out and scan some old pics when I can ( soon, promise ) .

Sean ! - not seen you around in ages, hope all is well, missed my fellow hpr historian . drop me a line sometime.

Stefan - any pics ?

I am especially interested in the American Dream - I have one started ( clone ) from photo sizing, would ove to have plans or measurments from an original - few of our club guys had em, both long gone . always liked that one, ever since I saw Chuck flying the prototype at a WUBBA launch .

good stuff, keep em coming - and MORE pics

~ AL

ps: someone had sent American Dream pics a while back, either here or on Old rockets, and I seem to have lost em in a crash ( most survived backed up, but some lost ..... anyone ?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Master Modeler

Pictures of my AAA Nike Ram are unlikely. I did not have it very long.

I'm sure there are plenty of pictures of my AAA American Dream, but they'd be prints. I'd have to dig them out and scan them in.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

please do ( dig em out and scan em ) if you can ... most of mine are prints as well, in the process of going through a few old albums now.

Zep - is your Nike Ram decals ? or custom painted ?

Never saw one with decals, or included the Enerjet logo, mine came with a couple of fibreboard stencils ( still have them ) ... one for ' Nike Ram " , other for " United States " .

New Nike Ram 2 in the que, vintage tubing, original AAA Pnc-80RW ( cut off cone with his coupler glued in to make the shoulder larger, same OD as Estes, thicker INWARDLY, hence Estes cones too tight to eject.

~ AL
Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Zep - is your Nike Ram decals ? or custom painted ?

They are decals that came with the kit. The reflective wrap in the middle came from an R/C shop. My kit came toward twilight of AAA, probably around 1992.

I talked with Al again in 1996 when I was looking for decals for my 1/2 scale Aerobee Hi. He sent me some decals from his kit for me to scale up. At the time, all I had related to rocketry was r.m.r. Even if YORS and JimZ existed, I would have never been able to find decal scans with my super slow dial-up. Al and his wife seemed really nice. There was always a hand written note in every order I made.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Master Modeler

Has anyone heard from Andrake any time lately?

At the very least, he's an incredible source of rocketry history. He talked with everyone.

I met him just once, at the last Pearl River convention, I learned lots of cool stuff. Like the anecdote about the sensor on the Mini Max hydraulic press.

And, yes, really nice guy. He called me up to gently chastise me for the motors I picked for my first order. ("F7? No, you don't want those for your Nike Ram.")
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Hey Steve,

I forget: Which one of us was laid up?

S.

I had total knee replacement April 2008 so I guess it was my turn that time

That's when I bought the parts from Madcow Rocketry and we compared notes on the Nike-Ram 2 original that I have compared to your "H" version. My buddy still has my original and up until a few years ago was flying it regularly at club launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Steve,

Your nose cone is different from mine. AAA shipped my kit with an Estes PNC-80K nosecone.

BTW, I have a AAA Cherokee G also. It shipped with an FSI Black Brant II nosecone.

Come to think of it, I think both AAA kits shipped with FSI nylon chutes.

I didn't have an Estes PNC-80K on hand so I bought both a red and black cone from Madcow. These are very nice cones and quite sturdy. These were molded in color. Strange but looks like Madcow has consolidated some of his cone offerings as I no longer see the red cone on the site. The part numbers I purchased were PNC80K-B and PNC80K-R. I'm pretty sure this one here is the same as my black cone but the part number changed:

http://www.madcowrocketry.com/servl...6K-dsh-B/Detail

AAA shows two paint schemes in the instructions and of course one could always finish it in one of the various EnerJet Nike-Ram schemes. I still haven't fully decided on the cone color but I have the main body white with Valspar red over white on the fins.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

[QUOTE=Green Dragon]Zep - interesting that yours has the 4 fins as well, later issue.

My original two both had 3 fins, and our club members had 5 or 6 of these, ALL three finned, Estes nosecones, some streamers ( gasp ) , some white silk surplus chutes... seems Al used what he had on hand at times, at least for recovery devices and such.

Will dig out and scan some old pics when I can ( soon, promise ) .

Sean ! - not seen you around in ages, hope all is well, missed my fellow hpr historian . drop me a line sometime.

QUOTE]

Hey Al!! Yeah, I've pretty much just been working. I need to start building again - including my AAA Nike H - and get stuff ready for the upcoming painting season (which, around here may not start 'till July). I'll try to spend a little more time on YORF and stay in touch.

S.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Master Modeler

Two American Dream photos attached.

These were probably taken around 1992, on a trip to the regional high-power launch in Culpeper, VA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  american_dream_1.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  39.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  american_dream_2.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  155.8 KB  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Just wondering because nobody added the "2" to the name.

Here's mine, finished as close as I could figure to the low quality catalog image. It's in rough shape. It's been in the attic for about 15 years.

I just noticed how pointed those two Madcow PNC-80K-X/PNC2.6K-X nose cones look from your original Estes cone in your pic. I'll save the two Madcow cones for scratch builds. Couldn't find one in the NOS bin at the hobby shop in town and not having an Estes rocket on hand to rob one from I did find one at Launch Pad 2000 for $7.47 plus shipping and ordered it.

I should have picked up a couple of the Canadian Arrow kits when they were on close out at a reduced price .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I have the decals.

Sandman,

Does the "Nike-Ram2" decal come with the "AAA Fuels Logo" sheet for $4 ?

I don't see a reference to the Nike-Ram2 decal you referenced in your post anywhere on your site.

Thanks,

SAM# 0052