Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoy 32
If anyone has a Centuri Chuter 2 they'd be willing to scan I'd appreciate it. I tried to get one on eBay and it ended up selling for 187.50. Also the Recruiter Space Probe plans would be nice to have. That one sold for 177.50. Both of them sold to the same jerk that outbid me on both nosecone auctions on eBay last night in the last 5 seconds of the auction and ended up paying 140 some odd dollars for a bunch of nosecones worth maybe half that much.

I too bid on both of those, and I bid very high and was still beat. In defense of those two kits and their high final bids, those were early Centuri packaging (like pre- '68 or '69), and rarely come up on ebay. They were gonna go for high prices, guaranteed. I've seen both those go for more than that.

Painful as it may be from an acquisition standpoint, the market is what it is. If people are willing to pay those prices, then those prices are what you have to beat to get what you want.

Somewhat the flip side of that is saying people should only be able to earn just so much money in their profession. Certainly, NO one would propose that, unless your name is Obama and you happen to be President of the United States.

A person should be allowed to earn what their talents will (legally) earn. Likewise, a person should be allowed to use those earned resources as they (again, legally) see fit.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm not a BAR - I've never quit!

Send a message via AIM to RocketBoy 32

I understand all of that Earl. My initial post was made when I was pretty frustrated and annoyed. I know the market works that way, it just sucks that it does. Just because someone has 187 dollars to spend on a kit doesn't mean that it is worth that much. I also understand that nobody else knows my intents when I bid on something either.
It would be wonderful just for once, to have a hobby that was affordable for people who don't have 187 bucks or in this case 365 dollars plus shipping for 2 older rocket kits. The people who bid so much for those older kits will probably never build them or even open them. They'll be tucked away in a collection in someone's closet and lost to the rest of us.
I love my fellow rocketeers and just want to share the older kits and plans with them. Some of those kits have never been listed for sale on eBay or elsewhere as far as I know. Some may be lost to time forever and that would be a sad thing.
It would be nice if we could somehow form a buyer's coalition here on Rocketshoppe that could pool money from each person willing to donate a small amount of money to win the auction with the agreement that the plans and decals would be scanned and posted by a certain date for all to share. And yes, before anyone answers me seriously, I know I'm naive if I think that'll ever happen.
So I'll just keep doing what I have been. If Rocketshoppe doesn't update soon I'm going to volunteer to do it for them. That would help I think. If anyone else has any ideas about how we can open the flow of rocket plans and information on the web please drop me a line.
Thanks a lot to the above posters who have made suggestions.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM
BAR

A few years back, there was someone buying every old Estes catalog that came up for bid, regardless of the price. I always wanted a 1966 catalog from my childhood, but I knew as long as that guy was out there I didn't have a chance. Some of you here may know who I'm talking about. I've often wondered why he needed all of these old catalogs, many copies of the same one.
Somehow, a good friend of mine managed to get me one.

wick
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Apollo Nut

The thread originator Rocketboy32 brings up a good point, that being one of vintage plan updates to Ye Olde Rocket Plans. Seems as I recall the last update date is noted as sometime in July of 2008.

Is this accurate? Am I reading that wrong?? If so, is there a particular reason as to why no new vintage plans have been added since 2008? Is it lack of resources to make the posts, or is it lack of scanned plans? Both??

I'm asking in pretty much total ignorance here, but I think I've probably got several plans that I could scan and 'donate' which could be added to the collection there.

Also, to the thread originator, please let us know what rockets/plans you may be looking for (as several others have suggested); we may be able to help you.

BTW, I did not really intend for my response above to sound quite as 'blunt' as it did (having gone back and re-read it). I think we have all been, at one time or the other, in the same shoes and feel the same as you currently do. It IS frustrating to try to get some of those kits and get beat out time and time again. It really is hard to believe at times the prices some of these kits go for now. Back in the day, who knew?! I mean, I thought $15 or so for a Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II was super-expensive back in the day (waaaaay above my budget as kid, which is why I never was able to obtain one then).

But now, they routinely go for over $300, and the last one I bought (the second of the two I own....one to build and one to keep) cost about $360, but it was pristine and was one of the earlier 1/45 Little Joe II's, back when they still featured balsa bulkheads instead of the latter foam-core cardboard bulkheads.

Is it crazy to pay that much for a rocket kit? Maybe. But, it has value to me (which is probably the most important point); the value of the kit does NOT drop to zero once it is bought (i.e., I CAN re-sell it if I so chose and hopefully recoup most, if not all, my original purchase price); and it satisfied a dream of several decades to own that particular rocket and to maybe (in a small way) feel like one has finally risen above some level of 'poverty' that kept one from owning certain things as a kid.

I beleive many can relate numerous stories of various rockets and such that were simply beyond our monetary reach as children, and now that we are adults with at least some level of discretionary income, we are finally making some of those old dreams come true. Maybe sounds a bit corny, but for me, that's pretty much the full-blown truth.

Anyway....if someone can provide some insight on how we might can start adding additional plans back to the Ye Olde collection, please let me know.

Thanks,

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
I understand all of that Earl. My initial post was made when I was pretty frustrated and annoyed. I know the market works that way, it just sucks that it does. Just because someone has 187 dollars to spend on a kit doesn't mean that it is worth that much. I also understand that nobody else knows my intents when I bid on something either.

Think about it from the seller's point of view. If there was no expectation of getting a decent price for an old kit, why put up with all of the bullcrap (ebay fees and policies, potential deadbeats, dealing with paypal) of listing it? Why not just build it, give it to a nephew, sell it at a garage sale for a buck, donate it to the Salvation Army or just toss it in the trash?

Quote:
It would be wonderful just for once, to have a hobby that was affordable for people who don't have 187 bucks or in this case 365 dollars plus shipping for 2 older rocket kits. The people who bid so much for those older kits will probably never build them or even open them. They'll be tucked away in a collection in someone's closet and lost to the rest of us.

one url: www.semroc.com You can build a clone of most kits for no more than 25 dollars and not have to worry about parts missing or damaged.

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The thread originator Rocketboy32 brings up a good point, that being one of vintage plan updates to Ye Olde Rocket Plans. Seems as I recall the last update date is noted as sometime in July of 2008.

Is this accurate? Am I reading that wrong?? If so, is there a particular reason as to why no new vintage plans have been added since 2008? Is it lack of resources to make the posts, or is it lack of scanned plans? Both?

The problem is not lack of plans to post, I have plenty in the queue. Nor is it lack of interest. I just have not had the time to do it. It is still something I plan on doing and will do (updating the site), I just can't give a timeframe.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
The problem is not lack of plans to post, I have plenty in the queue. Nor is it lack of interest. I just have not had the time to do it. It is still something I plan on doing and will do (updating the site), I just can't give a timeframe.

If the folks who need that update ASAP were to mail you some cash, would that help?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
If the folks who need that update ASAP were to mail you some cash, would that help?

Money talks!

Seriously, it's something that I will be doing, it's just life has gotten in the way these past few years.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Well, I'd like to see somebody dig these Estes gems up if at all possible:

Sea Strike D - Decals
Sandpiper - Fin templates and decals
Cajun - Fin templates and decals
Super Nova Payloader - Fin templates
Mini Brute Hornet - Fin templates and decals
Apache 2 - Fin templates

The fin patterns and decals for the Centuri
F-15 Eagle would be a real find too.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Money talks!

Seriously, it's something that I will be doing, it's just life has gotten in the way these past few years.

Is there ANYTHING I can do or that we as a community can do to help you update the site? I'd gladly volunteer my time. I'd be willing to do just about anything to get those plans posted since it's been going on 2 1/2 years since the last update.