Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Master Modeler

As of April 19th, Ebay will be changing their posting fee scheducle, not in the sellers favor though, in my opinion.

Not only will they be charging a final value fee but also a fee on the SHIPPING costs. Shipping is a fixed item, the rates are set by the USPS as far as weight and ddistance.

And as Uncle Mike knows, unless you describe your item in great detail, your subject to neutral or negative feedback and possible actions against you as a seller.

Many times a seller will leave positive feedback only to have less than positive feedback posted for him or her. Or, if you , the seller posts feedback, the buyer will not post anything, even after you give them a fair price, excellent packaging and quick mailing.

For those who do not sell on ebay, you have no idea what goes into selling one bay, and, in some cases, for the amount of work, it's not worth it.

Uncle Mike hang in there, we are all in the same boat..............and at times it feels like it's sinking.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Rocket Huckster

No worries we only get about 20% of our take from Ebay. The rest comes from our own website
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

Too bad there isn't a wide push to go to ebid. I see vendors there with a lot of BIN's, but very little true auction stuff.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Rocket Huckster

Ive written off Ebid, however Atomic Mall weve done very well at.

AM

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
As of April 19th, Ebay will be changing their posting fee scheducle, not in the sellers favor though, in my opinion.

Not only will they be charging a final value fee but also a fee on the SHIPPING costs. Shipping is a fixed item, the rates are set by the USPS as far as weight and ddistance.

That may be because some sellers have been inflating the cost of the shipping fee to make a bigger profit, especially to recover paypal fees after it became mandatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Uncle Mike hang in there, we are all in the same boat..............and at times it feels like it's sinking.

It is no secret that ebay would prefer to be more like an Amazon, hence the attempt to go to a fixed price rather than an auction format. It is just that they remain the only game in town for auctions, for whatever reason. Someday, they may change their name to paypal when they bring in more revenue that way than from marketplace operations.

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If the crook is smart enough it is. I got hosed on a CPU a couple months ago. I filed with eBay and he agreed on a refund. However, he canceled his bank account that fed the refund. Ebay recommended to go to PayPal, so I filed with PayPal. The next day I got an email from PayPal saying they were closing the claim because I had filed with eBay. So, I got the tag team shaft from eBay and Paypal, who are the same company.

Is it too late to get a refund through your credit card company by disputing the paypal charge?

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
As a seller on Ebay for over 10 it has truly become less seller friendly.

With the exception of the policy of hiding bidder IDs which make detection of shill bidding by crooked sellers virtually impossible.

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
I disagree with you on that, we sold some used rockets on Ebay that had missing parts. Because we failed to list the actual pieces that were missing guess what happened? You know it they opened a "not as described case" and we lost. They did have to send it back on their dime before we had to refund the money.

Thats why selling anything "as is" is a dangerous thing unless you mention what is missing. Weve had it happen to us twice on Ebay. So we no longer sell opened kits unless we do an inventory and list EXACTLY what is missing.

Sorry to hear that. Thats is the reason why I closed my ebay account and i now order from Amazon or from the stores directly..
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Rocket Huckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
With the exception of the policy of hiding bidder IDs which make detection of shill bidding by crooked sellers virtually impossible.

Bill

You got that one right. My brother who sells collectable cards told me shill bidding has run amok since the've hidden bidder ID's. Doesnt happen much with the rocketry crowd, but again this is a much smaller niche market.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
That may be because some sellers have been inflating the cost of the shipping fee to make a bigger profit, especially to recover paypal fees after it became mandatory.

It is no secret that ebay would prefer to be more like an Amazon, hence the attempt to go to a fixed price rather than an auction format. It is just that they remain the only game in town for auctions, for whatever reason. Someday, they may change their name to paypal when they bring in more revenue that way than from marketplace operations.

Bill

We the honest ebay seller are being the target for a few that aren't, NOT FAIR. In my opinion, just another way for ebay and Pay Pal to make more money is a struggleing economy.

For example, if you sell an items for $10.00, ebay gets 90 cents, adn if the shiping is $5.00, that's another 45 cents for a total of $1.35, if the listing fees were for FREE like it has been since NOv, we would save that 45 cents. I still say, ebay seller should not have to pay a fee on shipping costs. If you don't feel the shipping prices are fair from a seller, don't buy from them.