Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Oh no !
Hee-Haw references....Ugh !

Hee-Haw replaced "The Smothers Brothers" - I've never forgiven them for that

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 PM
BP Mafia

I was watching Laugh-In with my parents when I dropped my first f-bomb. I was about to go to bed and was putting it off as long as possible, sitting on Mom's lap in the chair while Dad channel surfed on the floor in front of the TV. Some of the older kids in the neighborhood had taught me the word that afternoon and told me to tell my parents. They said it was spelled just like duck. In the middle of Laugh-In I asked "Mom, what's f---?" The reaction was impressive. Mom jerked like someone had electrified the chair. Dad looked like he'd been launched and I swear he rose up a foot. His eyes looked like they were going to fall out of his head and he gave Mom a panicked look. Mom said "Well, it's not a very nice word and you shouldn't say it anymore." That wasn't the answer I was looking for, so the next day I wrote it at the bottom of a paper in class. (My teacher showed my Mom later that week when they were at the doctor getting allergy shots. "Oh, I have to show you something Billy did." Mom said it wasn't quite what she'd expected.) Then I taught it to my brother, who was four. I learned my way around the word fairly well, but Dave became a pioneer in the use of the word.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was watching Laugh-In with my parents when I dropped my first f-bomb. I was about to go to bed and was putting it off as long as possible, sitting on Mom's lap in the chair while Dad channel surfed on the floor in front of the TV. Some of the older kids in the neighborhood had taught me the word that afternoon and told me to tell my parents. They said it was spelled just like duck. In the middle of Laugh-In I asked "Mom, what's f---?"
Then I taught it to my brother, who was four. I learned my way around the word fairly well, but Dave became a pioneer in the use of the word.

Hmm. I was taught the word by my parents' best friends' daughters. We were watching "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" while the parents were all in the kitchen playing bridge. Mind you, they didn't tell me what it really meant -- they may not have known either, except maybe the 16 year old -- but were only using it in the perjorative sense.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
BP Mafia

I was finishing this up last night when my computer had a seizure while I was trying to upload some of the movies to YouTube. Completely ate my post that was probably 7/8 of the way done. (Nothing terribly exciting, but I feel like I should give the flights their due.)
Since the glider had performed only so-so and since I had a couple of B4-2s in the box, I pulled one of my battered Mach 10 clones for the next flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv24cv12PY8
A pretty decent flight considering the lack of wind. It went the opposite direction that the last Mach 10 clone I flew here went. That one wound up on the roof of the gym. This one headed north and fired the marker cone like it was ordinance. The cone wound up farther upfield than the rocket did.
Jillian picked my ancient Der Red Max clone for the next flight. Another B6-4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkHn...feature=related
Lost one of my "10 for $1" Ebay parachutes on this flight. It floated off toward home at ejection. Luckily the rest of the rocket fell straight down over "soft" grass and was recovered without damage. Not that it would show. This one is battered on the level that the Star Snoop is.
Last flight was picked by Joel, my Inflight Pegasus. I'd only flown this once previously and it was impressive, but with my Argus swinging from the power line, I was a bit nervous. It followed the same flight path as the Argus, but never caught a breeze. One of the upper fins broke on the landing, but it will be an easy fix.

With this, we packed up and left, leaving the Argus as a sacrifice to appease the rocket godz. I only got to fly one of the birds I'd hoped to fly, but I was pretty happy with my niece and nephew's reaction. I'll definitely try to get out later this week if the fields are clear again.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
BP Mafia

The Argus II as of 8:30 tonight.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

That doesn't look like phone cable to me. Looks like it's on one of the three-phase transmission lines. There's often four lines, three being the A, B, and C phases with the fourth being a neutral (not always needed), or sometimes a grounded shielding wire for diverting lightning. I can't really tell from the pics, but the top four all look like common uninsulated aluminum wire, which is normal for power lines.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That doesn't look like phone cable to me. Looks like it's on one of the three-phase transmission lines. There's often four lines, three being the A, B, and C phases with the fourth being a neutral (not always needed), or sometimes a grounded shielding wire for diverting lightning. I can't really tell from the pics, but the top four all look like common uninsulated aluminum wire, which is normal for power lines.

They're all phone lines to me, and I don't care if they were fishing lines. As long as they're on a pole, I'm not messing with them.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
They're all phone lines to me, and I don't care if they were fishing lines. As long as they're on a pole, I'm not messing with them.

Chicken!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Chicken!

Not fried chicken, though. I got blasted across the back yard at the old house by touching a live wire. That was MORE than enough for me. I leave stuff like that to those who have a clue.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Not fried chicken, though. I got blasted across the back yard at the old house by touching a live wire. That was MORE than enough for me. I leave stuff like that to those who have a clue.

Three phase is usually 7,000-10,000 volts, give or take, according to your area. Ours is 7,200 volts. My brother's a lineman for the county (like the Glen Campbell song). He's the one that has to have a clue on a daily basis, or he get's fried like that chicken. I just have to know what's hot and what's not when I roll in on a call with the fire dept. Recently, it's been downed lines from the weather. Been running a saw a lot more than a hose lately.