Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 PM
BP Mafia

Grandpa was a lineman for Ma Bell here in Cincinnati. Anything on a wooden pole has been a telephone line as far back as I can remember. Power lines are what are attached to those big Transformer-looking towers. Nothing of that description remotely close.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Well, considering that I'd flown every year since 2001, I was determined to get flights in this weekend, one way or another. Tonight after dinner I met my sister and her family at B6-4 Field for an hour or so of flying.

My niece and nephew are five and seven, and I'd been talking about flying for them for a couple of summers, but this was the first time I'd been motivated to fly in a while. Not sure what to expect, Joel initially wanted to stand aside with his hands on his ears, but when he found out he could press the button he forgot all about his aversion to loud noises.
Joel's first pick was the Custom Serval, the tube finned rocket that predated the Razor in the Custom lineup, on a B6-4.

The flight was somewhat low, but perfect for this field. I got a little cocky after seeing this, and it would cost me later.
Jillian chose the Holverson Wicked Winnie, largely because it was pink(ish). With two of its cheesy foam brethren watching on from the trees behind us, the Winnie turned in a textbook B6-4 flight and recovery. B6-4 Field was made for cheesy foam.

Joel chose the D.O.M. Argus for the next flight. This was where my cockiness cost me. The perfect B6-4 flights by the Serval and Wicked Winnie made me think that the Argus would do as well on the same motor. Well, the Argus, one of the Estes Design of the Month contest winners, is quite a bit lighter and more streamlined than the other two birds. I knew it was in trouble as soon as it arced to the north. It wasn't a big arc, but enough that recovery was going to take it over the trees, the phone lines, or US 27. It caught the lines.

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to see a Custom Rocket Co. "Serval"! I lost mine many years ago--swallowed up by a BREL (Bottomless Rocket-Eating Lake.)

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Thanks for the photos. It's nice to see a Custom Rocket Co. "Serval"! I lost mine many years ago--swallowed up by a BREL (Bottomless Rocket-Eating Lake.)

Mine is an Ebay purchase. A couple of years ago I got a wild hair to build or clone all of the cool early Custom kits that no longer exist. I think I cloned the Lamprey and Bullet, started the Lightnin', got freaked out by the Matra, screwed up the Satellite Drone, and have original Dynamic Carrier and Stealth Interceptor kits almost ready to go. I want to do a Landviper, but I might have to fake it with a Big Bertha cone. The Serval was a pretty cheap "Buy It Now", IIRC. Nice, solid performer.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Yea, I know, but like I said, there *were* a couple of redeeming qualities about it.

I agree. We watched it regularly when visiting my grandparents in north Georgia (Roy, you probably know well where Ellijay, GA is).

In addition to the 'Hee Haw Honeys' (their official name....and there were SEVERAL very nice ladies who graced the Hee Haw set), I became an admirer of Roy Clark in my latter teens after I picked up the guitar. No, he was not the typical well-known rock guitar god, but the man could flat-out play a guitar.....and banjo, mandolyn, 'fiddle', etc.

There was an album of his my dad had from probably the mid-to-latter 1960's called "The Roy Clark Guitar Spectacular". It's all instrumental stuff and gosh, Roy just plays the devil out of some of those pieces: fast, clean picking that just awed me to no end.

It was a corny show certainly, but that's what they were shootin' for. Silly stuff and then some music. More silly stuff, then more music.

Compared to some of the stuff that passes for 'entertainment' on TV today, I'd take another dose of the likes of Hee Haw without too much complaint. Then again, I just don't watch much TV these days anymore either.

As for 'BR-549", some may recall a country group back in the 80s I think that picked that for their group name.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I agree. We watched it regularly when visiting my grandparents in north Georgia (Roy, you probably know well where Ellijay, GA is).

Earl

Yep. SoAR had a launch there last year, with hopes of starting a satellite club there. And the site for our GRITS regional launch is just 20 miles from there (and our Saturday Night BBQ was catered by a place in Ellijay).
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Yep. SoAR had a launch there last year, with hopes of starting a satellite club there. And the site for our GRITS regional launch is just 20 miles from there (and our Saturday Night BBQ was catered by a place in Ellijay).
Wow--small world! I lived near Young Harris and Hiawassee, and we took friends of ours (who'd been our neighbors in Miami) down to Ellijay one day in the early 1980s so that they could purchase a new set of living room furniture and carpeting that was made in the factories there.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Wow--small world! I lived near Young Harris and Hiawassee, and we took friends of ours (who'd been our neighbors in Miami) down to Ellijay one day in the early 1980s so that they could purchase a new set of living room furniture and carpeting that was made in the factories there.

Yes, it is a small world.

Both sets of my grandparents used to live in Ellijay and we were in Atlanta as small children then later moved to Augusta. But we visited the grandparents in Ellijay quite often, though from Augusta that routine trip was about four hours one way. Our old '69 VW bus made that round trip many, many times back in the day. I worked with one grandfather painting houses during several summers to put myself through college.

Alas, since the last grandparent passed in 2000 and with parental care requirements here in Augusta which keeps us very close to home, I have not been to Ellijay in 10 years, which is sad. I understand from my Dad however (my parents divorced some 26 years ago) that it's not the quaint little town it used to be. A lot of antique shops and such now with a lot of 'city' types in there making a tourist/retirement kinda place out of it. Sad.

But I have great memories there and a lot of love from wonderful grandparents, rest their souls. Some of my mother's people still run one of the largest apple orchards in that area. Penland's, just northwest of town there. That orchard was originally started by my great, great grandfather back in the 1850s.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Yes, it is a small world.

Both sets of my grandparents used to live in Ellijay and we were in Atlanta as small children then later moved to Augusta. But we visited the grandparents in Ellijay quite often, though from Augusta that routine trip was about four hours one way. Our old '69 VW bus made that round trip many, many times back in the day. I worked with one grandfather painting houses during several summers to put myself through college.

Alas, since the last grandparent passed in 2000 and with parental care requirements here in Augusta which keeps us very close to home, I have not been to Ellijay in 10 years, which is sad. I understand from my Dad however (my parents divorced some 26 years ago) that it's not the quaint little town it used to be. A lot of antique shops and such now with a lot of 'city' types in there making a tourist/retirement kinda place out of it. Sad.
I wasn't born in Georgia (I am a native of Miami), but my father was attracted there because several of his fellow firemen were from Georgia, and we were all very impressed when we visited the summer home of one of them, near Hiawassee. When we moved there in 1976, we became "Georgia Crackers" (you, of course, know that "cracker" is no derogatory term in this case). Since we left in 1985 after my father died, I've heard that outsiders have moved in and *remained* outsiders, "gentrifying" the place all out of recognition. (I suspect that Ellijay has suffered the same transformation...) I don't want to go back there (my father and his friends are all deceased in any event), as I want to remember it as it was.
Quote:
But I have great memories there and a lot of love from wonderful grandparents, rest their souls. Some of my mother's people still run one of the largest apple orchards in that area. Penland's, just northwest of town there. That orchard was originally started by my great, great grandfather back in the 1850s.

Earl
I am heartened to hear this (not about your grandparents' passing, but their deep roots and descendants there). I hope they keep the land open and producing apples (which someone like myself would appreciate, naturally... :-) ) so that it doesn't become yet another concreted-over subdivision.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 06-01-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Mine is an Ebay purchase. A couple of years ago I got a wild hair to build or clone all of the cool early Custom kits that no longer exist. I think I cloned the Lamprey and Bullet, started the Lightnin', got freaked out by the Matra, screwed up the Satellite Drone, and have original Dynamic Carrier and Stealth Interceptor kits almost ready to go. I want to do a Landviper, but I might have to fake it with a Big Bertha cone. The Serval was a pretty cheap "Buy It Now", IIRC. Nice, solid performer.

Until the "Lake Incident" I never had trouble getting my Serval back--with it's long, mylar streamer it almost never drifted.

I miss my Serval (sniff.)

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
BP Mafia

My keychain camera arrived yesterday and I spent some time getting familiar with how to operate it. With a bit of luck and some cooperative weather, I might get out for a few flights this coming weekend. Then the whole world can be introduced to the fabulousness of B6-4 Field.

I miss being SAM 0058