Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The building does look familiar, but I don't know if it's because I've seen this actual photo or if it's because I've seen photos of Centuri's front door.

Someone posted pics of a visit they took to the Centuri offices. Not sure if they were posted here or over at OldRockets. This is definitely the building.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Someone posted pics of a visit they took to the Centuri offices. Not sure if they were posted here or over at OldRockets. This is definitely the building.

Yes, it is the building....I'm sure of that. Bob Sanford also posted his photos from a visit there as a youngster from around the '74 timeframe (Bill, those are the photos I believe you may be thinking of).

There is an aerial photo pf this building in one of Centuri's American Rocketeer newsletters from around '68. The foiliage has grow up around the facility since then, but this is the same complex.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, it is the building....I'm sure of that. Bob Sanford also posted his photos from a visit there as a youngster from around the '74 timeframe (Bill, those are the photos I believe you may be thinking of).

Do you remember where they were posted?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Do you remember where they were posted?

See post #33 in this thread: http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...light=screaming

In that post, Bob Sanford provides yet another link to a older thread which shows his photos of his 1970's visit to Centuri's offices while on a family vacation (I think I got it right....).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I was just contacted by Betty Piester concerning Lee's condition.

"He's fine", she said.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Got it bad BAR

Default Centuri

[QUOTE=CenturiGuy]Geoffrey,

That's probably the Jan./Feb. 2003 issue of "Sport Rocketry" that featured my article about Lee.

Sorry to be so late getting back to you but for some reason I got no notices in my email that this thread had expanded.

Yes, that was the issue that Betty left at the store for me. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up to the article and Lee had even signed it for me.

Nicely done Jay! Thanks.

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Old Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Geoffrey-

Your post is actually very timely. In a recent Centuri-related thread about the Screaming Eagle kit, I asked if anyone here on the forum was local the greater Phoenix area, since I was attempting to pin-point the location of their last motor plant that apparently was located south of Phoenix proper.

In email discussions with a former Centuri employee, he stated this motor facility (not the old Mini-Max plant that was on property that is now part of the airport), but was located, as he described it: "It was located just off U.S.10 near the small town of Chandler. If you look on Google Earth just east of where U-haul and Williams rotoway are sat the engine plant in a large field."

This facility was built around '69 or '70 and turned out the A through C motors and the Enerjets. I've looked on Google maps to locate the site, but with no luck.

Williams Rotoway is located at 7150 W Erie St Chandler AZ. I remember a U-haul facility right off US 10 in that area also on Priest between Warner and Elliot in Tempe. That sounds like the area of interest.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by falingtrea
Williams Rotoway is located at 7150 W Erie St Chandler AZ. I remember a U-haul facility right off US 10 in that area also on Priest between Warner and Elliot in Tempe. That sounds like the area of interest.

Tim-

Thanks for the info. I'll try to narrow the area down on Google maps based on your info.

Do you recall any buildings/facilities in that area that would look like a motor plant (yeah, I know: I'm not sure either exactly what the building(s) should look like either other than being in a field and possibly surrounded by a chain link fence).

Seems that I recall hearing that when originally built it was 'out and away' but by now I guess the area could be completely grown up and built up. Those original motor building facilities may not even be there any longer.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Got it bad BAR

I was told by Betty that the motor making plant was on Williamson Field Rd. which I believe is in East Mesa, AZ. The area is most likely well built up by now. Don't have an exact address.

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Old Rocketeer

Parts of Williams Field Road were renamed to Chandler Blvd many years ago. The rotoway facility is just north of Chandler Blvd.