Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Craftsman

Default Tools for making your own centering rings

Just scratch built my first really large rocket,a Blue Bird Zero(54 inches tall) and am thinking of getting a drill press to make my own centering rings for future builds.Those of you who make there own,does anyone use a RotoZip Sprial saw?I seen it mentioned on the rocketry forum but don't know how it's done with that type of tool.With a drill press and circle and wheel cutter,you can make your centering rings.Any pictures using the RotoZip and tips?Want to see other options before buying the drill press.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Captain Low-N-Slow

I primarily use a drill press and hole saws to make my centering rings. I mount them in my woodlathe and cut/sand them to final size. I did recently make some 4" rings, and I don't have a hole saw that big. So I cut them out with my bandsaw, then used the woodlathe. For the center holes, I also use hole saws, then sand them to final size with my Dremel. I've heard of people using Rotozips and Dremels with circle cutting attachments, but haven't tried it myself. I do have a Dremel circle cutting attachment, but always wondered how you would stabilize the piece you're cutting, especially if it's a smaller centering ring. I too am interested to hear/see how others cut rings with a Rotozip/Dremel.

Paint is the devil.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Master Modeler

You should still get a drill press. They're wonderfully handy tools.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

I have used a fly cutter and my drill press to make small CR's and bulk plate.

I have also used a router with a template to make larger CR's and bulk plate.

I use my drill press more than my router.

Greg
Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake
I primarily use a drill press and hole saws to make my centering rings. I mount them in my woodlathe and cut/sand them to final size. I did recently make some 4" rings, and I don't have a hole saw that big. So I cut them out with my bandsaw, then used the woodlathe. For the center holes, I also use hole saws, then sand them to final size with my Dremel. I've heard of people using Rotozips and Dremels with circle cutting attachments, but haven't tried it myself. I do have a Dremel circle cutting attachment, but always wondered how you would stabilize the piece you're cutting, especially if it's a smaller centering ring. I too am interested to hear/see how others cut rings with a Rotozip/Dremel.

I sent a email to ROTOZIP and asked what size holes I could do on their saw,I told them I would need a tool that could do 24mm for the engine tube and 29mm for the small dia. and then larger.I was told that you could only get 3 1/2" as the smallest hole up to 12".They said that the Dremel 4000 could get me a hole as small as 3/4" to 12" with their circle attachment.I to thought about how stable the piece would be.I looking at drill presses,but the good ones are a bit out of my price range.I really don't know what kind of quality you get with a drill press that is on sale for $39 at Harbor Freight,as I have never been to that store.Might try Sears this weekend as it's Father's Day and they should have some sales.The Dremel is a very handy tool,really would like one of those to.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Captain Low-N-Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp
I sent a email to ROTOZIP and asked what size holes I could do on their saw,I told them I would need a tool that could do 24mm for the engine tube and 29mm for the small dia. and then larger.I was told that you could only get 3 1/2" as the smallest hole up to 12".They said that the Dremel 4000 could get me a hole as small as 3/4" to 12" with their circle attachment.I to thought about how stable the piece would be.I looking at drill presses,but the good ones are a bit out of my price range.I really don't know what kind of quality you get with a drill press that is on sale for $39 at Harbor Freight,as I have never been to that store.Might try Sears this weekend as it's Father's Day and they should have some sales.The Dremel is a very handy tool,really would like one of those to.

I probably use my drill press more than any other tool in my garage. I had a cheap little Harbor Freight drill press years ago, and it served me well until I got a bigger one. Something like this should be fine for cutting centering rings. My b-in-law has a Ryobi bench type drill press that he really likes. It's only a little more expensive than the Harbor Freight. One other thing about drill presses, Harbor Freight has them with keyless chucks. I used to have one, and didn't like it. I could never get it tight enough with my hands, especially with bigger shanks. I much prefer a keyed type chuck. Also, with a drill press, after you cut the rings out with a hole saw or circle cutter, you can put them in the drill press with a 1/4" bolt through the pilot holes. Then you can sand them to their final size.

I use my Dremel a good bit, too, on rockets. But I use it mostly with a small sanding drum, although I do have most of the attachments for it. I actually have both a plug-in Dremel, and a cordless li-ion version. I use the cordless most often, but I don't think it will work with the circle cutting attachment.

Paint is the devil.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake
I probably use my drill press more than any other tool in my garage. I had a cheap little Harbor Freight drill press years ago, and it served me well until I got a bigger one. Something like this should be fine for cutting centering rings. My b-in-law has a Ryobi bench type drill press that he really likes. It's only a little more expensive than the Harbor Freight. One other thing about drill presses, Harbor Freight has them with keyless chucks. I used to have one, and didn't like it. I could never get it tight enough with my hands, especially with bigger shanks. I much prefer a keyed type chuck. Also, with a drill press, after you cut the rings out with a hole saw or circle cutter, you can put them in the drill press with a 1/4" bolt through the pilot holes. Then you can sand them to their final size.

I use my Dremel a good bit, too, on rockets. But I use it mostly with a small sanding drum, although I do have most of the attachments for it. I actually have both a plug-in Dremel, and a cordless li-ion version. I use the cordless most often, but I don't think it will work with the circle cutting attachment.

That's the one on sale for $39,the Dermel sells for $70 TO $100.I have to say,I'm leaning towards the drill press.I just hope I can get good use from that as you have.It held up ok I take it from being in your garage.We get very humid summers and very cold winters here in Ohio.I would keep this in my basement,but it's light enough to carry from the basement to the garage when I would use it in the summer.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Captain Low-N-Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp
That's the one on sale for $39,the Dermel sells for $70 TO $100.I have to say,I'm leaning towards the drill press.I just hope I can get good use from that as you have.It held up ok I take it from being in your garage.We get very humid summers and very cold winters here in Ohio.I would keep this in my basement,but it's light enough to carry from the basement to the garage when I would use it in the summer.

Yeah, it held up fine in my garage. But we don't get a lot of humidity here. I used it a lot at the time for drilling pen blanks, one of my other hobbies. The only problem I remember having with it was the chuck would come out sometimes. But after I cleaned the internal and external tapers, and tapped it in with a hammer, I didn't have any more problems.

Paint is the devil.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Here's a link to my website, showing the Arc-Scribing method I use for making custom centering rings:

http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassa...Rings/Rings.htm

- George Gassaway

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Rocket Dad

I use a Dremel with circle cutter attachment for all the centering rings and baffle plates I have cut recently. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the circle cutter locally and have to order a new one for myself and the shop online. It works like a champ and is easy to use.