Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RayLizard
hehe, well for my first post here...

An Estes Vagabond. Minus the supplied fins...dont really care for the shape. Just doing a std trapezoidial 3 finner.

Almost everything else will be per kit, except shock cord.

Would post a pic, but the workbench is wayyy to cluttered with other stuff.

It's my first Rocket since... a long time... oh about early 90's, I guess.

I'm working on a Vagabond, as well. I thought the fins were cool. but I really liked the simple orange/white/black paint and decal scheme. I must have been in that kind of mood lately because I've built several models with such a paint scheme, including the Skybolt and the Stinger. Still looking for a suitable blue for the Skybolt.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
OCD Enabled

For some odd reason, never was able to get my mind past really basic fin shapes..
maybe it is because they are easier to work on
NAR #35502
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

After doing a lot of building over the winter and spring, I hadn't built anything for a while so I decided to stop at the LHS on the way home yesterday.

I'll be working on two rockets at the same time. I think it might qualify as a scale or sport scale...the Estes Screaming Eagle will be started tonight.

Though not really a scale or sport scale, last night I started one that my 7 year old daughter requested. After I successfully built a dinosaur inspired rocket for her, she requested a dog rocket. It took a while for me to figure out how I could get fins to look like some part of a dog. It will be Underdog, his cape and long elliptical feet will serve as my fins. . I'm using a Big Bertha kit for most of it.

I got the cape cut out in two halves and glued together last night.

I'm not much of an artist, so I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get his face on the nose cone.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'm working on a Vagabond, as well. I thought the fins were cool. but I really liked the simple orange/white/black paint and decal scheme. I must have been in that kind of mood lately because I've built several models with such a paint scheme, including the Skybolt and the Stinger. Still looking for a suitable blue for the Skybolt.

I used Tamiya Brilliant Blue (TS-44) spray paint on my Skybolt.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
OCD Enabled

The Basic Flying Model Rocket... Out of the Estes Vagabond kit bag..

lessons learned:
the body filler thats great for plastic models in no fun, and not going to get covered right with paint... Used it on the BT joint... had to try it.

First one built since about hmm...1994 give or take a few. Even then it was only a few built since 1985.

I sure miss Pactra Poly-U Spray paint. Used the Duplicolor you guys seem to like, it was quite decent. Primed with Tamiya White...also no longer available..

Will limit this one to Estes D or longer-burn less peak thrust E.

Oh and for grins... a first attempt at a Nose cone on the Lathe.

Now that this one is done,
Started working on a D Streamer Duration Bird.
NAR #35502
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RayLizard
the body filler thats great for plastic models in no fun, and not going to get covered right with paint... Used it on the BT joint... had to try it.

If you are referring to Bondo spot putty or something similar, it works best for me over a coat of primer instead of over the raw paper/wood/glue. Apply, then sand and prime again like normal. You can paint base coat straight over the Bondo too. That comes in handy when you've got it ready to paint and then find a blemish, or ding the nose cone as you are toting it outside to paint and you've just run out of primer on another bird.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
OCD Enabled

It is 3-M Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty. Very similar stuff froman Auto Paint supply house. Actually quite nice. I really should have mixed some with a thinner. And done it right...I was too impatient with it.

Experiments still to be conducted..
NAR #35502
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Scale builder

Almost Finished a 3X upscale of the Estes Star Speeder ( waiting for a new altimiter to arive, otherwise complete.)
A 4X upscale of an Estes Orion Starfighter ( Frame up and fin mount complete, need to glass 4 main fins, paint and decals)
A 3" scratch Mercury Redstone ( all that's left to finish is 2 fins and the escape tower, paint and decal)
A 4" scratch Saturn 1B ( just started working up the tubes and Centering rings)
A 3" scratch Russian Vertikal ( completed basic airframe minus fins and external detail. composite sphere for the nose/payload is complete)
A 4" Scratch Little Joe II (Capsuel and airframe done, working on fins and LES, paint and decals)
A Booster for the 3" scratch Aerobee 150 I built earilier this year. (tube and fins cut)
A 1/72 scale Delta II ( core done, Working on boosters)
Figure I better finish a few of these before I start another Project. Happy wife, Happy life!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 PM
OCD Enabled

-> A 3" scratch Russian Vertikal

Looking forward to seeing that one
NAR #35502
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
OldSchoolDood

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Byrum

I have a new design in the makes. It's my 1st air scoop/duct concept with a hand turned nose cone unlike anything available. It's a bit hard to get a 3D perspective from my profile drawing but I'm sure I'll have pics available on the build as they come. Still edging a name for this one also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Concept 11.pdf (19.6 KB, 129 views)