Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:26 PM
msm0202's Avatar
msm0202 msm0202 is offline
I remember the space age
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 88
Default New magazine devoted to model rocket history, etc.

Hi all. Although I'm still new to this site, I've been reading "over your shoulders" for quite a while. Excellent site, and my hat's off to Scott Hansen and company for raising the standards of what websites can do for model rocketry. I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward. We are also a sponsor at NARAM (we had asked Matt Steele to keep it quiet until now. We're the vendor he mentions that will be announced on site, but we all agreed we would go ahead and announce it this week.)

We will also have an online component that is up and running as of today (launchmagonline.com), but we will be adding much more to it in the days ahead.

The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes a 6,500-word Q and A-style interview with Vern and Gleda Estes, a 4,500-word conversation between Lee Piester and Matt Steele and a 3,000-word story on Orville Carlisle, Rock-A-Chute, G. Harry Stine and Model Missiles, all with historic photography. (Vern and Gleda, for instance, go into more detail than ever on their personal financial deal with Damon Corp., among other very interesting observations.)

LAUNCH will also cover current events in rocketry as well (and you can read more about that in a posting on the vendors section later today).

And not that you asked, but just in case you're wondering: I'm Mark Mayfield, a model rocketeer since 1968, former editor of several national home design magazines (House Beautiful, Traditional Home, Southern Accents) and a member of the original start-up staff of USA Today. I'm also an avid collector of vintage model rockets and publications, and I've met some of you through that endeavor over the years. Also like some of you, I have been a member of the NAR off and on for 30 years and recently joined again.

Sorry for the long post here but I wanted you to know about the new magazine's emphasis on vintage rocketry, and I encourage any of you who would like to contribute ideas, articles or photos to future issues to contact me. And just as an fyi, we don't consider ourselves a competitor to Sport Rocketry: In fact, we're both running ads in the other's magazines in the September/October issues, and as I said earlier, we're a sponsor at NARAM and fully support NAR.

Cheers,
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Chas Russell's Avatar
Chas Russell Chas Russell is offline
Retired Missile Technician
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 868
Default

Mark,

This is wonderful news! Best of luck with your endevour. I am looking forward to seeing you at NARAM. Matt held the secret closely - not even telling his teammates. If you are publishing one month off of Sports Rocketry, then we could get a monthly rocketry magazine fix.

Chas
NAR 9790
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
msm0202's Avatar
msm0202 msm0202 is offline
I remember the space age
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 88
Default Thanks!

Chas,
That's a great observation about the alternate monthly schedule between the two magazines. Even though both have the same cover dates, LAUNCH will generally be published two to three weeks ahead of the calendar date—so hopefully it will be like having alternate months for each. The rush to produce our first issue in time for NARAM sort of dictated that. And now I'm glad we did it that way. See you in Phoenix.
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,712
Default

Cool!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2006, 04:47 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
And not that you asked, but just in case you're wondering: I'm Mark Mayfield, a model rocketeer since 1968, former editor of several national home design magazines (House Beautiful, Traditional Home, Southern Accents) and a member of the original start-up staff of USA Today. I'm also an avid collector of vintage model rockets and publications, and I've met some of you through that endeavor over the years. Also like some of you, I have been a member of the NAR off and on for 30 years and recently joined again.
Cheers,
Mark




Hi Mark,

I'm in. You may or may not remember me from the postal auction days (late 80's/early '90's). I think we spoke on the phone once or twice, and I'm pretty sure I bought a few things from you. (How's THAT for crystal clear memory!!). Anyway, after seeing that it was you heading up this project, I have no reservations about signing on. Good luck and thanks.

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
msm0202's Avatar
msm0202 msm0202 is offline
I remember the space age
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 88
Default

Sean,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I definitely remember speaking with you. Those postal auctions were so interesting, in the days before Ebay and the internet. I remember buying hundreds of old kits at a hobby shop warehouse in Birmingham, and driving them over to Atlanta in my Ford Pinto—and then selling so many of them. Gosh, I remember having about 15 or 20 Interceptors... Wow, if I only had them now...

We're going to have a lot of fun with LAUNCH, and it has been really gratifying to spend so much time lately discussing the heyday of model rocketry with Vern and Gleda Estes, for example. Our offices are actually in the Empire State Building here in New York, and it was so cool to do some photography up here with model rocket kits, high above Manhattan. Come see us!

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Tau Zero's Avatar
Tau Zero Tau Zero is offline
Incurable SEMROC Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho, USA
Posts: 1,969
Exclamation A Change of Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward.

The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes a 6,500-word Q and A-style interview with Vern and Gleda Estes, a 4,500-word conversation between Lee Piester and Matt Steele and a 3,000-word story on Orville Carlisle, Rock-A-Chute, G. Harry Stine and Model Missiles, all with historic photography. (Vern and Gleda, for instance, go into more detail than ever on their personal financial deal with Damon Corp., among other very interesting observations.)
Well, so much for my plans to buy seasons 1 and 2 of "The 4400" on DVD. (heavy sigh, mock disgust) Thanks a *lot,* Mark.

Seriously, welcome to the forum! Your magazine sounds great, and I don't think I'd forgive myself if I missed such an incredible first issue.

As a TV reporter/cameraman/video editor, I'm not usually at a loss for words. Unfortunately, right now that's the case when it comes to LAUNCH!


Thanks, good luck, and cheers,
__________________
Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"/"Tau Zero"
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131


“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
Hi all. Although I'm still new to this site, I've been reading "over your shoulders" for quite a while. Excellent site, and my hat's off to Scott Hansen and company for raising the standards of what websites can do for model rocketry. I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward. We are also a sponsor at NARAM (we had asked Matt Steele to keep it quiet until now. We're the vendor he mentions that will be announced on site, but we all agreed we would go ahead and announce it this week.)

Thanks, Mark. I've made your announcement message a sticky so it stays on top.

Boy, it was all I could do to keep Mark's new magazine a secret. He had let me in on it back at the end of May.

I'll be heading over to your website to order my subscription. Thanks for putting forth the time, effort and money to put out this publication!
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 PM
barone's Avatar
barone barone is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 3,041
Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes .........


Mark,

Just subscribed......will the NARAM issue be the first one I get? If I'm understanding right, it'll first appear at NARAM and the rest of us who can't make it to Arizona or don't want to be in the heat or wifes will divorce them if they go, will get it in September? I have to read my rocket instructions twice before I start and twice again as I'm building......

Don
NAR 53455
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Phred's Avatar
Phred Phred is offline
GET GOONY!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 616
Default

Hi Mark,

I just took out a two year subscription. Model Rocket History is a favorite subject of mine, and I look forward to my first issue!!

Phred
__________________
Just some guy.....

GET GOONY!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2018