Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default More Rough Diamonds

Like Phred, I also keep my eyes open for built-up kits. A few weeks ago I won a collection of old Centuri 'LT' tubes from around 1966. (The 'LT'series tubes were used for the Mini-Max line). In the ebay photo, behind the tubes, was a cone-less body tube with fins standing in the background, which I figured was just a scratch build. On closer inspection
I started to look a bit at said rocket, and realized it wasn't 'cone-less' at all. In fact, I started to get more than a little exited by what I thought I was looking at. Well, the package arrived yesterday and confirmed that what I had won along with the tubes was an Rocket Development Corporation 'Cardinal'. Now, it isn't in great shape, but it isn't in horrible shape either. It's missing a fin, and only one of the fins is really the correct shape. But that fin is enough to get a good template traced and the really interesting thing is the nose cone. It's a small, hardwood Apollo capsule shape with a 3" long dowel-like nose.
The odd thing is that a few years ago I won the same nose cone on ebay. That cone is in a platsic bag with a peper header labeling it as a Centuri nose cone. The thing about the nose cone that came with the rocket is the shoulder. At first I thought the builder glued a lead payload weight to it, but now I 'm not sure - it looks/feels more like plastic or epoxy, but it's pretty heavy. The cone in the package is solid wood.

The body tube is 12" parallel wound manilla, which dates this particular 'Cardinal' to 1965/66. (Included in the lot was the Centuri order form for the tubes dated Aug. 66.) RDC switched to spiral wound tubes in 1968. I'll post photo's after I've cleaned it up a bit.

I've attached a cleaned up version of the ebay pic., and the catalogue page fron 1966. If anyone's interested, I'll send the Specs and a template off to Scott. The cone will be a problem, unless Carl (or Sandman) is interested in cloning it.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  RDC_Cardinal-d.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  195.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  66rdc6-a.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  80.1 KB  
Old 07-13-2006, 12:35 AM
BP Mafia

Amazing launch effects on the catalog photo.
This looks like it would be a cool cloning project, especially the two-stage version. Is it on Carl's Semroc Classics list?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Amazing launch effects on the catalog photo.
This looks like it would be a cool cloning project, especially the two-stage version. Is it on Carl's Semroc Classics list?

You know, I hadn't thought to look there, but it is, along with the other RDC kits.
I'll drop Carl a line and see if he wants to borrow the nose cone.
I agree with you on the two-stage version, but I'll have to wing it (ouch!) on a fin template
for the booster.

Sean
Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
You know, I hadn't thought to look there, but it is, along with the other RDC kits.
I'll drop Carl a line and see if he wants to borrow the nose cone.
I agree with you on the two-stage version, but I'll have to wing it (ouch!) on a fin template
for the booster.

Sean

It looks like you should be able to get fairly close just based on the catalog picture. It's just a continuation of the sustainer, and you'll know the size of the booster tube by the engines they recommend for it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-13-2006, 02:26 AM
BP Mafia

Looks like you should also be able to clone this one:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...c66/66rdc4.html
Personally, I'd like to build a Sampson.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Like Phred, I also keep my eyes open for built-up kits. A few weeks ago I won a collection of old Centuri 'LT' tubes from around 1966. (The 'LT'series tubes were used for the Mini-Max line). In the ebay photo, behind the tubes, was a cone-less body tube with fins standing in the background, which I figured was just a scratch build. On closer inspection
I started to look a bit at said rocket, and realized it wasn't 'cone-less' at all. In fact, I started to get more than a little exited by what I thought I was looking at. Well, the package arrived yesterday and confirmed that what I had won along with the tubes was an Rocket Development Corporation 'Cardinal'.

VERY cool find, Sean! I've kept myself away from eBay for the past few months. Too much money was being dropped there. I really have to start unloading a lot of this stuff I have in the basement eventually. Anyhow, as you have time, we'd appreciate getting specs for the Cardinal sent over here.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Sean,

I have the RDC catalog that I had loaned to Sven to scan for his site. I can make some enlargements of the Cardinal kit page if that would assist you. Please let me know.

Chas
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Sean,

I have the RDC catalog that I had loaned to Sven to scan for his site. I can make some enlargements of the Cardinal kit page if that would assist you. Please let me know.

Chas

Thanks for the offer, Chas. I have all of the RDC catalogues from Sven's site. They should be good enough.
My only concern is that the cat picture doesn't show the fin at a 90 degree angle. It should be close enough, though.
Below is a photo of the Cardinal and the bagged cone. The Estes A.8-3 came with the package as well. The Cardinal doesn't show any signs of ever having been flown, which is a good thing: Instead of a streamer, the rocket had a 16" Centuri parachute stuffed into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  RDCCard_b.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  96.0 KB  
Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Looks like you should also be able to clone this one:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...c66/66rdc4.html
Personally, I'd like to build a Sampson.

I was looking at that too, but the Moon-Glo has a shorter nose cone that isn't listed in the catalogue. Not sure what that was about.
The Sampson, Starflite and Honybee are on my list, too. A very long list at this point

Sean
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
VERY cool find, Sean! I've kept myself away from eBay for the past few months. Too much money was being dropped there. I really have to start unloading a lot of this stuff I have in the basement eventually. Anyhow, as you have time, we'd appreciate getting specs for the Cardinal sent over here.

Yeah, I've been tracking things but this was the first item I've bid on in a while.
But it was my birthday 'n all

I'll take measurments and a tracing tonight and send them off to you.

Sean