PDA

View Full Version : Oct 16 Johnson Creek

Rex R
10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
if the weather cooperates I've got 3 birds I'd like to fly...anyone else up for sunday?
rex

chadrog
10-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Your Mega-Mo looks awesome Rex!

Rex R
10-14-2011, 06:05 PM
A.K.A. the state bird :). thanks. thought I'd start with a D12-5 (D12-3 for the uber neon).
rex

chadrog
10-16-2011, 03:39 PM
BONUS DELAY! There was definitely something in the air (or wind) today! Seemed like if it was a reaload, it was doomed. The wind was brisk, but blowing from the west, making for easy compensation. I started the day with my Medium Bertha on a C6 for a wind check. Confirmed, it's windy... Next up was the Renegade D with a D12. It got a bit squirrely near the top, but a success all the same. Started getting confident now, so I loaded up the Super Alpha/Bertha Blinky Half-bred with three C6-5's. Flew great and straight, with a nice close landing. In the meantime, Rex had a nice straight flight with the Mega Mosquito on a D12-5, and Paul K tested the waiver with his standard Goblin on a C11 and a D12. The uglyness started with my Executioner, which i seem to need to fix after every launch, today is no exception. Loaded and ready to go on an E18, the button was pushed. Nice flight, stearing into the wind, and that's the good part. My E18-4 somehow had turned into an E18-10, a delay I did not know existed. The charge poppet just feet before hitting the ground, giving my ejection baffle a nice acordian shape. Paul K's Tomahawk seemed to have an extra couple seconds on it, making for a water landing. Fortunately the wind quickly blew it to shore. Jerome B's snowman, on an F40, had about a ten second delay, too. Prettymuch a total loss on that one... My last flight, in honor of halloweenies, had to be the ghost. Loaded with an F39-9, with the delay drilled half-way through, it left the pad strait and true. It too got a little wiggle at the top, I think the wind might have been a factor. Fun up, scary down. Again, ejection occured just before impact. Damage was contained to one fin, will have it ready for the G skid at MWP. Anyone else having issues with delay times recently? All in all, a good day at JC. It was nice to meet new recruits Russ and his son Jeremy, they had many nice flights today as well. Hard to remember all the good ones, hard to forget the others...

chadrog
10-16-2011, 04:43 PM
There is this video and two others from today on my youtube channel.
http://youtu.be/THh4QzC5nQI

Rex R
10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Chad pretty much nailed the description. I flew my mega mosquito...given the wind the 5sec delay was a triffle long, but estes doesn't have a 4.5sec delay, bit of a tumble on landing but the rocket was found standing proudly on its fins. the super neon xl was flown on a D12-3, here too the delay was just a smidgen long(under 0.2 sec). the neon's baffle(which is not part of the stock kit) did it's job. both birds would make nice demo birds if flown on d12's(low and slow).
I decided not to chance flying the 3" goblin...instead I decided to fly my Quest Planet probe(not pictured) and as usual had only a short walk to retrieve it :).
rex