PDA

View Full Version : Build Que Launch Reports

barone
07-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, I've been working dilligently on completeing rockets that I have in my build que. That's in another thread.....Well, today I got a chance to fly them. After spending the evening yesterday getting them prepped (my wife doesn't like to spend too much time on the field), we went out early this morning to launch, trying to beat the rain.

First up was a helicopter recovery rocket I built a few months back to compete with but never got around to flying it. Flew straight and recovered well. Should have timed it but didn't expect much from it on a B6-2.

Next was my Scout III, one of my build que rockets. Looked good on the pad but never got a launch shot. The LCO, my wife, said "launch" which is my que to take the shot but she didn't push the launch button. :( But it flew well on the 1/2 A3-4T motor but drifted a little further than I though it would for tumble recovery.

Next up was my Quest Force 5, another from my build que. But, for some reason, the motor wasn't in it. Now, remember, I prepped the night before and take very little with me to the field. So I didn't have another motor to use unless I decided not to fly something else. So, the Force 5 went back into the trunk. Later in the day, I came back and flew it on a B6-4. Spun all the way up. I guess it's the wings with the wing tabs. It stayed stable though and made for an interesting flight. I don't know if a C motor would cause the spin to rip the fins off? Not sure if I'm going to try.

Time for the cloned Estes A-20 Demon. The wind was picking up and I didn't want to make a long recovery so I flew it with an adapter and a B6-4. Nice straight launch. Easy recovery. But it's begging for a D12 :D Next launch will definately be on a D.

The cloned Estes Scorpius flew twice. The first time on an A8-3. I was a little worried about the fins being able to hold the stress since so much area wasn't directly attached to the body. Shouldn't have worried. The A8-3 sent it up but with very little authority. At apogee, the rocket actually fell backwards (The Bumbling Brothers call it a Back Slide Glider) a foot before the ejection charge went off (yes, it was that low that you could see everything going on). The second flight was later in the day (after going back and getting a motor for the Force 5) and on a B6-4. Lots of power and altitude. Actually had an arc before ejection and another successful recovery.

I also decided to use the day to try to trim out my QCR Never Loop II. Hand tossing can only get you so far. Flying on a 1/2A3-2, take off was great but recovery was less than nominal. Not enough nose weight as evident by the constant drop and stall. When I came back to fly the Force 5, I flew this again after adding some nose weight. A little better, but still needs some more nose weight. Gliders and helicopters add some variety to a launch ;)

Anyway, pictures are in this thread.....http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?p=10119#post10119.

Don
NAR 53455