PDA

View Full Version : New SpaceX Falcon 9 Kit

DeanHFox
12-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Just got a tweet that mentions this new kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GX14R8/

Is this Estes, Quest, or someone else? Anyone know anything else about this kit?

jdbectec
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
In the description it says " designed by Space X and tooled in California".

Perhaps they're producing it themselves.

Initiator001
12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
The parachutes look like Quest parachutes.

Kevlar and elastic shock cord system(?)-Quest(?)

Motor hook looks like Quest.

Some of the other parts appear to be Quest-like.

Interesting...

jdbectec
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
SpaceX facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SpaceX

I agree about a Quest-like look to the parts.

BEC
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't know who's doing those kits, but a close look at the picture tells me that the 'chutes and the motor hook are not Quest, they're modelrockets.us parts. That's a good thing. Thicker plastic and stronger shrouds on the 'chute and much springier motor hook.

jdbectec
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't know who's doing those kits, but a close look at the picture tells me that the 'chutes and the motor hook are not Quest, they're modelrockets.us parts. That's a good thing. Thicker plastic and stronger shrouds on the 'chute and much springier motor hook.

I believe you are correct. Discount Rocketry is in California.

Jerry Irvine
12-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Falcon 9 does not have big-a$$ fins.

Just Tech Jerry

stefanj
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Falcon 9 does not have big-ass fins.

Just Tech Jerry
They're there. You just can't see them. The real thing uses transparent butyrate plastic fins.

luke strawwalker
12-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Says they're supposed to be clear, so evidently these must be some test castings in regular white plastic or something... maybe beta-tests or something?? The Falcon 9 has rather distinct rounded engine fairings on the aft end-- they're not simple "half-cones" like the Saturn V engine fairings are... these are actual parabolic shapes, so more difficult to model... (though one could make a reasonable facsimile by cutting a cone shaped something like and Alpha III cone in half vertically, similar to how it's done on the Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle, which uses similarly shaped booster pods on the first stage.)

Honestly I think having the fins cast as part of the fairings is rather ugly... the kit would have been MUCH nicer had they gone with slip-in or twist-lock clear plastic fins below the engine fairings, removable for display. Maybe they'll look better in clear plastic, but seems to me this is going to be a "looks good from 10 feet away" type model... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Royatl
12-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Falcon 9 does not have big-a$$ fins.

Just Tech Jerry

The description on Amazon indicates that the final kit will have clear fins. What you see in the picture is probably prototyped on a parts printer.

Royatl
12-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Says they're supposed to be clear, so evidently these must be some test castings in regular white plastic or something... maybe beta-tests or something?? The Falcon 9 has rather distinct rounded engine fairings on the aft end-- they're not simple "half-cones" like the Saturn V engine fairings are... these are actual parabolic shapes, so more difficult to model... (though one could make a reasonable facsimile by cutting a cone shaped something like and Alpha III cone in half vertically, similar to how it's done on the Dr. Zooch Vanguard Eagle, which uses similarly shaped booster pods on the first stage.)

Honestly I think having the fins cast as part of the fairings is rather ugly... the kit would have been MUCH nicer had they gone with slip-in or twist-lock clear plastic fins below the engine fairings, removable for display. Maybe they'll look better in clear plastic, but seems to me this is going to be a "looks good from 10 feet away" type model... :)

Look closer. The fins ARE slip in. The fairings are part of the fin can, and the fins appear to slide into the fairings from the top. In fact, look at the picture of the parts on the Amazon page. You'll see how the fin can and fins are molded.

luke strawwalker
12-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Look closer. The fins ARE slip in. The fairings are part of the fin can, and the fins appear to slide into the fairings from the top. In fact, look at the picture of the parts on the Amazon page. You'll see how the fin can and fins are molded.

Ah ok didn't use the "enlarge" feature...

Still even if they're 'slip in' going in from the top like that will leave ugly gaps when you pull the fins off for display, if that's even possible-- they may well be made to "snap" into place once fully inserted (IE non-removable) or cement in place once they're installed. Either way doesn't look particularly "display friendly"...

What I was talking about was having the fins mount completely BELOW the fairings, sort of like how the "twist-n-lock" clear fin sets worked on the Estes Titan II ICBM or the Patriarch or whatever, that used a clear plastic version of the Astrocam "Delta II" carrier rocket's black fins molded with a twist-lock tabs on the fin can... making them totally removable for display, and having NO effect whatsoever on the design of the engine fairings and thrust structure of the model. The other alternative would be a clear-plastic slide-in version of something like Zooch Flame-fins, sliding into small side tubes flanking the motor tube in the base of the rocket, similar to how the Estes Mercury Atlas did it...

Seem some neat cardstock kits that could be converted for flight...

ManofSteele
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
At least they got the delivery to match the real life rocket - "currently unavailable". <g>

Matt

DeanHFox
12-09-2011, 02:32 PM
At least they got the delivery to match the real life rocket - "currently unavailable". <g>

MattHey, Matt, I think this is a great opportunity for ATK to offer a Liberty model rocket! I know *I'd* buy a couple! :)

ManofSteele
12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
A Liberty model might actually might happen - watch this space. There are a couple of other kits ahead of it in the list, but I will say it is "in development".

Things would go a lot quicker if ATK wasn't working me so hard!

The new NCR kits have most of the parts on-hand, still working through a few details. You likely will see them after New Year's.

Matt

wilsotr
12-09-2011, 09:30 PM
A Liberty model might actually might happen - watch this space. There are a couple of other kits ahead of it in the list, but I will say it is "in development".

The new NCR kits have most of the parts on-hand, still working through a few details. You likely will see them after New Year's.

Matt

Hmmmm ... will it come with a little MLAS nose cone? That would generate a lot of interest in some circles. :)

Jerry Irvine
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
MattI don't think it is true that SLS is a bug, not a feature.

Besides, since when was ATK a model company? :D

Gus
12-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Hmmmm ... will it come with a little MLAS nose cone? That would generate a lot of interest in some circles. :)So you noticed that, too. ;) Definitely interested here.

ManofSteele
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, it would come with a MLAS cone, since that is the current configuration shown. I am looking at a 1/72 scale. We'll see.

Matt

Initiator001
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Falcon 9 kit now available for order on Amazon.com with shipping beginning December 27th.

DeanHFox
12-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Can't wait to see what the production version of this rocket looks like. :)

jdbectec
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Can't wait to see what the production version of this rocket looks like. :)

It looks like a few of the photos have been updated. The close-up appears to show clear fins.

Or does it?

jdbectec
12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
It looks like a few of the photos have been updated. The close-up appears to show clear fins.

Or does it?

Now that i take a closer look, I guess ye olde eyes were playing tricks on me! :o

jharding58
12-20-2011, 06:29 PM
You know, if they have a source for clear fins...

The current photographs on Amazon show individual fins that slot into the fairings and either clip or snap into place. The fin material also appears to be translucent with a slightly pebbled finish, while the attachment method seems to have changed a little from the assembled picture of the can. Guess all will be known come the 27th.

CPMcGraw
12-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Not a bad price for the kit, at $25.45. Maybe this will become a new "sideline venture" for SpaceX... :D