PDA

View Full Version : White Vulcan

mycrofte
12-31-2011, 06:12 PM
I wanted to try the Centuri Vulcan without using up my ink. So, I made a subdued / white prototype version.

I didn't have a nose cone for it and thought I'd try a different one.
_________

Tau Zero
12-31-2011, 08:28 PM
I wanted to try the Centuri Vulcan without using up my ink. So, I made a subdued / white prototype version.

I didn't have a nose cone for it and thought I'd try a different one.*Nice!* ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

Earl
12-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey, that cone design actually looks pretty good! Sleeker, more 'aggressive' look compared to the original.

Earlier this year I did a vintage build from an original kit, but have not yet flown it. Unique design all the way around for its time and I look forward to actually flying it.

Earl

mycrofte
01-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Gluing a cardstock cone isn't easy though. Gets hard to line up and hold the tip!

I'm considering a Colonial Viper type nose cone too.

Now to dig through the boxes in the garage for a 9" tube...
___

dlazarus6660
01-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Nice!

I want to clone the original, was thinkin' of doing it this week.
Love that design!

mycrofte
01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Not sure if I have the original. I made mine of the Black Vulcan I downloaded.

Thought I would add them here (if I got the right files) for anyone who wants them. I did update it a little since it came out so bland with all white.
______

luke strawwalker
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
With slightly different decoration and a different cockpit, it would easily pass for the ship from the original "Planet of the Apes" movies...

Later! OL JR :)

blackshire
01-02-2012, 03:38 AM
With slightly different decoration and a different cockpit, it would easily pass for the ship from the original "Planet of the Apes" movies...

Later! OL JR :)I'm glad I scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the "screen-page," because I was about to post that! The "Heston Hauler" (my informal nickname for it, as I don't know what the spaceship's official name or designation was, *if* it had one) would be easy to make. The main body was an elliptical cross-section cone with two Gemini capsule-type "notched-in, recessed" windows that were angled rearward as viewed from above, with a ridge between them whose upper edge was the same outline (viewed from the side) as the shape of the original cone. The ship also had two triangular cross-section (when viewed from the rear of the ship) "strake-like wings" at the rear, and two smaller triangular cross-section "strake-like canards" up front. If trimmed properly, it might make a decent, if fast-gliding, boost-glider.

dlazarus6660
01-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm glad I scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the "screen-page," because I was about to post that! The "Heston Hauler" (my informal nickname for it, as I don't know what the spaceship's official name or designation was, *if* it had one) would be easy to make. The main body was an elliptical cross-section cone with two Gemini capsule-type "notched-in, recessed" windows that were angled rearward as viewed from above, with a ridge between them whose upper edge was the same outline (viewed from the side) as the shape of the original cone. The ship also had two triangular cross-section (when viewed from the rear of the ship) "strake-like wings" at the rear, and two smaller triangular cross-section "strake-like canards" up front. If trimmed properly, it might make a decent, if fast-gliding, boost-glider.

Sooo, have you built this yet? :rolleyes: :p

Tau Zero
01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Sooo, have you built this yet? :rolleyes: :pBecause it would be AWESOME! :eek: :cool:

Cheers,

mycrofte
01-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I have built the Vulcan. Also have updated PDF since the right wing alignment was a tad off.

I've built two Icarus prototypes today. Not quite there yet. I just finished another update and will build a third one tomorrow. It is more of a modified Vulcan since I know it flies. It is to cold out to go test a new design. I have no idea what it needs for balance yet.
______

blackshire
01-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Sooo, have you built this yet? :rolleyes: :pNo...I'm in the same situation as the Taurian Bruz (see: http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kb-3.htm [pages 5 and 6]), only with solid hooves rather than cloven ones...

dlazarus6660
01-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I just completed my Vulcan rocket. I started it last night at 7:30 p.m., worked on it until 10:00 p.m. and finished it tonight at 7:00 p.m. I need a better nose cone and place the recovery system in it.

mycrofte
01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I posted this picture of my prototype in the Icarus thread too. Let me know what you think!
_______

luke strawwalker
01-05-2012, 01:00 AM
VERY cool... :)

KUTGW! OL JR :)