PDA

View Full Version : looking for Estes Mean Machine

tripleup05
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
First off, hello everyone. I have recently come back to rocketry after 5 or 6 years. After middle school it kinda fizzled out for me, but due to being laid up with a dirtbike wreck injury, I have started building and flying them again. I can't believe I ever quit! Over the past few weeks I have bought and built the Bull Pup(estes), AGM Harpoon(quest), Exo Skell(estes), High Flyer(estes), Full Moon(quest?), and Payloader1(quest?) Now, I want to build the Mean Machine. I remember seeing it as a kid and wanting it, but 30 bucks as a 6th grader was a little outa the price range. Now I wouldn't mind paying it, but I can't find the kit. Towerhobbies.com is the only place that I can find that gets them, but they are currently backordered. Everywhere else says 'no longer available." So does anybody know where I can get a kit? Thanks!

ghrocketman
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Pick one up on ebay....they are on there almost ALL the time.
Also, Estes is re-releasing the kit sometime in the fall, this time with a mount that will also fit E engines as well as D engines.

barone
08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
And, if you can't find it, clone it. You can get the parts needed from BMS, Semroc, etc. Plans are available at http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1295.htm. Decals are a little harder to come by.

Don
NAR 53455

Tweener
08-16-2006, 07:07 AM
First off, hello everyone. I have recently come back to rocketry after 5 or 6 years. After middle school it kinda fizzled out for me, but due to being laid up with a dirtbike wreck injury, I have started building and flying them again. I can't believe I ever quit! <snip>Yep, that definitely makes you one of us. A lot of us are BARs (Born Again Rocketeers). Welcome back to the fold!

falingtrea
08-16-2006, 10:57 AM
If you check one of the other threads here (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1052) you will see that Este is re-releasing the Mean Machine with E motor capability.

CPMcGraw
08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
First off, hello everyone. I have recently come back to rocketry after 5 or 6 years. After middle school it kinda fizzled out for me, but due to being laid up with a dirtbike wreck injury, I have started building and flying them again. I can't believe I ever quit! Over the past few weeks I have bought and built the Bull Pup(estes), AGM Harpoon(quest), Exo Skell(estes), High Flyer(estes), Full Moon(quest?), and Payloader1(quest?) Now, I want to build the Mean Machine. I remember seeing it as a kid and wanting it, but 30 bucks as a 6th grader was a little outa the price range. Now I wouldn't mind paying it, but I can't find the kit. Towerhobbies.com is the only place that I can find that gets them, but they are currently backordered. Everywhere else says 'no longer available." So does anybody know where I can get a kit? Thanks!

Trip,

If you're looking to build a clone of the older MM, one starting place would be a Screamin' Mimi kit, which only recently went OOP. This has the nose cone and one length of BT-60 to get you started. SEMROC and BMS can provide you with the other pieces of BT-60, couplers, rings, and engine hooks.

Use one of those Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons to get the Mimi, or be watching for the now-rare 50% off sales weeks for rocketry kits.

I can't say you'll spend less than $30 for the parts, counting shipping, but then again, if you order from BMS or SEMROC, you'll wind up ordering more parts than just for the one model. We all do. :D

If you're into building, and want to try out some non-kit designs, take a look at the BARCLONE lineup at http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com (http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/) . Welcome to the asylum!

tripleup05
08-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I checked out the BARCLONE and Ye Old Rocket Shoppe page. Both are pretty cool! I think I will probably stick to the kits for a little while longer until I am a little more skilled. However I did design a very sweet paper towel roll body tube and cereal box fin rocket last week! Anyways, I have never heard of Sundward until stumbling across it a minute ago, but has anyone built the CFX-six footer? I don't necessarily want the mean machine in particular... just a cool, tall rocket.

barone
08-17-2006, 06:29 AM
I checked out the BARCLONE and Ye Old Rocket Shoppe page. Both are pretty cool! I think I will probably stick to the kits for a little while longer until I am a little more skilled. However I did design a very sweet paper towel roll body tube and cereal box fin rocket last week! Anyways, I have never heard of Sundward until stumbling across it a minute ago, but has anyone built the CFX-six footer? I don't necessarily want the mean machine in particular... just a cool, tall rocket.

You should check out the FlisKits rocket Richter Recker (sp?) :D

Don
NAR 53455