PDA

View Full Version : July Sod Farm Triathlon

DANLK66
01-14-2012, 08:48 PM
This years Sod Farm Triathlon will involve a kit bash of the Estes QCC Explorer rocket (#3221)

It will involve 3 events using the same rocket:

1. A "Best Rocket" event to be judged by all of the participants. We will all judge who

has built the best bash of this kit.

2. Parachute duration on a C-11 motor.

3. Spot landing on a D-12 motor.

When building your rocket you may use anything that comes with the kit including the plastic and cardboard. You may also use one additional 3x24 inch sheet of 3/16 or 1/8 inch balsa.

You may use any parachute or streamer you would like in the flying events. You do not have to use the parachute that it comes with the kit and you can use a different parachute or streamer for each event. Remember the kit does not have a tracking device in it so you will not be allowed to have a beeper or a tracker in the rocket.

Your rocket must survive and be flyable after each event to qualify. If you loose it or break it your out.

We will continue giving points for the top finishers as we have in the past. Since there will bee a lot of effort put into building this time the "Best rocket" event will have a little more weight to it.

1st place = 4 points

2nd place = 3 points

3rd place = 2 points

4th place = 1 point

For the Duration and Spot landing events the winners will receive the following:

1st place = 3 points

2nd place = 2 points

3rd place = 1 points

You may start building on Jan 25th.

Remember the winner of this event gets their name in the hat for the drawing at the Christmas party. The winner will have a 1 in 12 chance to win a great prize so get building!

Dan

chadrog
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
This is going to be fun, I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with. Sather, remember you only get to use ONE of those kits!

Sather
05-18-2012, 06:58 PM
This is going to be fun, I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with. Sather, remember you only get to use ONE of those kits!

Kelly took one. She has a pretty novel idea, and is pretty excited about it. And I am indeed limiting myself to only one kit. At a time.

DANLK66
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Just a bump to remind everyone that the Triathlon is coming up. See the above for the rules and events. The only thing I will add is that you may use some nose weight if needed as long as it is not anything like electronics. Inert matter only :) Sorry to those who asked and were told they needed to use only what was in the kit for this. We can take that into consideration during the judging. I am making a last minute change after thinking about it.

Now for the big news. There will be a very nice 1st place prize for this event. I will be announcing it at the meeting and will then put it up here. All I can say at this time is fiberglass.

DANLK66
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
OK along with getting your name in the hat for the end of the year raffle the winner of this years event will receive a Wildman Mini Dark Star rocket!

I hope the fire ban gets lifted soon.

chadrog
06-30-2012, 01:30 PM
OK along with getting your name in the hat for the end of the year raffle the winner of this years event will receive a Wildman Mini Dark Star rocket!

I hope the fire ban gets lifted soon.
That's awesome, I can't wait to build it! Guess I better get my rocket finished.

DANLK66
06-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I might be down to the 3 fins and a nose cone thing myself. Good thing there are 3 events.

chadrog
07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I might be down to the 3 fins and a nose cone thing myself. Good thing there are 3 events.
I didn't put my usual TLC into mine - it's not real purdy, but it's done.

DANLK66
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I am still waiting. Glue that is really set up adds weight so I may do it the night before.

chadrog
07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Does New Berlin have a burn ban in place?

DANLK66
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I think the county does

chadrog
07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Boo, they should let the DNR know.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestFire/restrictions.asp

DANLK66
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
We will not be having a July launch due to the Burn Ban that is in place in New Berlin. We will hold the event at the Aug. launch instead.

Dan

chadrog
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
At least there's rain in the forecast for Saturday, that helps ease the pain.

Sather
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
WOOSH is getting back into rocket launching gradually, as we have has a little rain but the field still has a lot of tinder. So we launched "rockets of known stability" at the sod field yesterday, and the kitbash triathlon is now scheduled for the September launch.

PaulK
08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
...And watch out for those Bosons...

chadrog
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
...And watch out for those Bosons...
And gunmen - happening right down the street from me. Sweet Jesus Christ Almighty!
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/reports-of-people-shot-at-sikh-temple-in-oak-creek-qc6cgc0-165059506.html

DANLK66
08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
With things looking good for the Triathlon I have decided to build up my rocket. Here it is minus a few "special" game day secret weapons :)

The QCC upscale Solar Warrrior. :eek:

chadrog
08-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Way cool! Surprised you're getting such an early start!

DANLK66
08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Must be nerves :)

The idea just came to me so I went with it. I think I will send a pic to Estes. The Solar Warrior was one of my favorite kits way back when. I would like to see it come back.

I hope the glue does not take in to much moisture before the event and weigh it down :)

DANLK66
08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
After many delays this weekend we will be having the kit bash Triathlon this weekend at the Sod Farm. Ist place gets you a ticket in the Model of the Month raffle and also a Wildman Mini Darkstar! See you there

Dan

chadrog
08-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Yay! The weather forecast has made a change for the better, may be a titch breezy though. I'm in it to win it, throwing caution to the wind! If anyone is in need of triathalon motors, see me - I'll have plenty available.

DANLK66
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
It is on!

Playing the wind is going to be tricky tomorrow. I am taking a more careful approach but that is not always the way to go. I am putting on the shock cord now (new glue weighs less) Then I am ready to go.

I picked up motors tonight. I have not needed to buy D motors for a couple of years. Not a fan of the higher price tag. $5-6 dollars higher than the last time I picked some up. I will have to make these motors count 

DANLK66
09-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Congratulations to the winner of the 2012 Sod Farm Triathlon. The winner was the team of Kelly Ranum and her friend Adam S (sorry I did not get his last name). Kelly designed the rocket and her and Adam both built it. Adam was out sick today so Kelly presented and flew the rocket for them both. She took first place in all 3 events and finished off with a great flight in the spot landing competition that landed 29 steps from the flag. Second place overall went to Dan, third place went to Chad, and 4th place went to Joe. The winds were a big challenge today as they would pick up and slow down and change from east to north east. We all had a great time and look forward to next years Triathlon.

Dan

chadrog
09-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I do hope you run with the idea you had yesterday (for next year), with scissors if nessassary!

DANLK66
09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
It will be some version of what we discussed. We can talk about it at the next meeting.
There are a couple things I thought of that need to be ironed out first. We will need to look at some roc sim data also. But the evil plan seems to be coming together. :chuckle: