PDA

View Full Version : wiring multiple launch?

tripleup05
08-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Nobody get mad, but the way I have been launching my rockets is by simply attaching two wires to the igniter ends and then touching both ends to a car battery. I know this isnt the best way but its free. Someone else always hooks up the igniter because I always keep control of the two free ends and they never go near car until everyone is clear. Even though there is no safety key, it is still safe. However, now that I have a few rockets in my fleet I want to try and launch them all together. I know how to make a proper pad for multiple rockets, but how would I go about igniting them all at the same time? I know it is a common practice but I cant seem to find any schematics or descriptions. Could somebody give me somes ideas? Thanks!

CPMcGraw
08-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Nobody get mad, but the way I have been launching my rockets is by simply attaching two wires to the igniter ends and then touching both ends to a car battery. I know this isnt the best way but its free. Someone else always hooks up the igniter because I always keep control of the two free ends and they never go near car until everyone is clear. Even though there is no safety key, it is still safe. However, now that I have a few rockets in my fleet I want to try and launch them all together. I know how to make a proper pad for multiple rockets, but how would I go about igniting them all at the same time? I know it is a common practice but I cant seem to find any schematics or descriptions. Could somebody give me somes ideas? Thanks!

Since you're asking nicely... :D :D

There used to be some schematics in a book called "Advanced Model Rocketry", but I think it's OOP now. This was available 16-20 years ago, and I have a copy somewhere...

Do you have a copy of Stine's Handbook? You really should pick up a copy if you don't have it already. It covers the basics of wiring a launch controller.

For quick-n-dirty launches, you really can't beat picking up a couple of those Estes Alpha III Starter Sets, especially when Hobby Lobby has their 40% off coupons and half-price sales. Normally $20 each. I have four of these type pads, one at least 20 years old.

I built my own launch controller back then, too, and used it for several seasons until I had to drop out for a while. All Radio Shack parts, and you can probably still build an identical one today from their components.

A multiple launch rack can be built from 1" and 2" Schedule-40 PVC tubing. I've seen pictures of such homebrews, and they do the job. Use 48" steel rods from Home Depot or Lowes, thread the lower 8" for attachment nuts and washers, and simple clay flower pots turned upside down for blast deflectors.

The multiple launch controller is almost as easy as a single controller, but with a heavy-gauge rotary power distribution switch to select the pad. For mass-launches, you'll need some kind of high-current source (like multiple car or gel-cell batteries), and on that multiple-selector controller at least one high-current attachment set of terminals that have heavier-gauge wiring inside. You just have to wire up a parallel harness to connect all of the individual leads to that one terminal point. Be prepared for melt-downs, though... :eek:

Tweener
08-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Nobody get mad, but the way I have been launching my rockets is by simply attaching two wires to the igniter ends and then touching both ends to a car battery. I know this isnt the best way but its free. Someone else always hooks up the igniter because I always keep control of the two free ends and they never go near car until everyone is clear.Mad? We don't get mad, we just get defensive of the hobby. :D Most launch systems always have power available at all times - this is why there is a need for a proper way to disarm the system, usually with a key that can be kept detached from the launch control until the rocket is "hooked up". You are still being safety-conscious by keeping power away from the system until launch, so it seems to be a decent alternative. ;) Still, a proper system shows you that you are properly hooked up by indicating continuity with a low current through the ignitor that is below the ignition threshhold when the system is armed. I don't know about everyone else, but as a child of the '60's I always thought that was just plain cool! I still always announce "system armed and go for launch" before I start my countdown! (Even when I'm by myself. :o)

tripleup05
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Ok good to know nobody gets "mad". I'm comin from a dirtbike forum and when I finally was able to type again after getting the cast off of my hand from the wreck, man everybody pounced on me for not wearing my boots! As they should have...it was stupid. Anywho, I think I will pick up a copy of that Stine's handbook. I was thinking about it awhile ago but didn't have too much reason too, but now I do!

Ltvscout
08-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Ok good to know nobody gets "mad". I'm comin from a dirtbike forum and when I finally was able to type again after getting the cast off of my hand from the wreck, man everybody pounced on me for not wearing my boots! As they should have...it was stupid.
Not nearly as stupid as the dolt here in WI that used his foot to dislodge a log jammed in a large, running, industrial wood chipper the other day. Needless to say that Darwin won't be producing anymore dummies. Yes, the log came loose and the machine grabbed his foot and sucked him ALL the way through. Hamburger came out the other end.

tripleup05
08-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Good god that would have to be one of the worst ways to go. Excrutiatingly painful. Well, for a few seconds atleast...

Ltvscout
08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Good god that would have to be one of the worst ways to go. Excrutiatingly painful. Well, for a few seconds atleast...
Yup, I get shivers just thinking about it. Of course the family is blaming it on the mfg of the chipper. I'm sure that was on a label somewhere on the machine. Use foot to dislodge stuck logs. Duh!

JRThro
08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Yup, I get shivers just thinking about it. Of course the family is blaming it on the mfg of the chipper. I'm sure that was on a label somewhere on the machine. Use foot to dislodge stuck logs. Duh!
There's probably no way to make a wood chipper entirely fool-proof.

Have you seen the movie "Fargo"?

tripleup05
08-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Never seen the movie. I want to though. I've heard its kinda one of the must see movies