PDA

View Full Version : New Estes V2 For 2012 - Kit 3228

GregGleason
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
This appears to be the Estes Canadian Arrow Kit, #2188, just with a shorter body tube for the V2.

Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Also, I'm glad that it's a 2.60" OD airframe.

Greg

stefanj
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
This is a re-release of sorts.

There was a BT-80 based V-2 out about 20 years ago.

The model could also be used to create neat spaceships, ala the Silver Comet. Just use different fins.

Doug Sams
02-29-2012, 02:45 PM
This appears to be the Estes Canadian Arrow Kit, #2188, just with a shorter body tube for the V2.This is a re-release of sorts.

There was a BT-80 based V-2 out about 20 years ago.

The model could also be used to create neat spaceships, ala the Silver Comet. Just use different fins.This is funny. When I got back in the hobby in 1999, about that time, they had the BT-80 Silver Comet available. One popular topic at the time was bashing that into the V-2 :) (instead of bashing the V-2 into a Comet :)) Then they (re-)issued the BT-80 V-2. So I ended up with both in my unbuilt stash, but ultimately sold them off thinking I'd never get around to building them.

Now I have a Canadian Arrow I got because it was part of the X-Prize set from Estes. And I wonder if it'll ever get built, too :o

Anyway, I thought this was funny because it, too, is a good kit to bash into a V-2. But why bother now when you can get a V-2 kit, right? ;)

Doug

BoosterDude
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
This appears to be the Estes Canadian Arrow Kit, #2188, just with a shorter body tube for the V2.

Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Also, I'm glad that it's a 2.60" OD airframe.

Greg

I was wondering if that's the deal with the new V2, I have to assume it is.

PaulK
03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
This is a re-release of sorts....The model could also be used to create neat spaceships, ala the Silver Comet. Just use different fins.Or could be made into an accurate scale model, with a simple fin mod & nose weight.

jharding58
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Since the Canadian Arrow was the V-2 with a longer body tube it only seems fair. And didn't the Silver Comet use the V-2 boat-tail with a canopy version of the nosecone and flashy fins?

GregGleason
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
BTW, I like the Canadian Arrow. :)

Greg

Bill
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Since the Canadian Arrow was the V-2 with a longer body tube it only seems fair. And didn't the Silver Comet use the V-2 boat-tail with a canopy version of the nosecone and flashy fins?

Yes.

Bill

tbzep
03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Or could be made into an accurate scale model, with a simple fin mod & nose weight.
If it's like the old Estes kit that used the PNC-80K, it will need a pointy tip added to it. It seems like the kit was also stretched a little in length in addition to the oversized fins, but I might be thinking of some of the larger V-2 kits that have been produced.

dlazarus6660
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I just traded away a Canadaian Arrow kit for another OOP kit. Now I can replace with what I was going to do with the Canadaian Arrow kit.
A V-2.

jharding58
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
If it's like the old Estes kit that used the PNC-80K, it will need a pointy tip added to it. It seems like the kit was also stretched a little in length in addition to the oversized fins, but I might be thinking of some of the larger V-2 kits that have been produced.

I think this is 1926 re-released a with a different finish. The new release is about 22.4 inches long and a BY-PRODUCT80 tube with what looks like a PNC-80K on the top. So it will share all of the wonderful doubles of the previous releases. But at least there will be an Estes V2.

http://www.postwarv2.com/paintschemes/paintschemes.html

The catalogue image also seems to be WSPG round number 2, not the salacious round number 3 with a pin up between the fins. But we all know where to get that from.

jdbectec
03-01-2012, 09:56 PM

I have te original version of this kit..circa 1980's... I believe the tube length was correct or, at least close, the fin shape was off. Peter Alway's Scale bash has the proper fin. IIRC the kit's are slighly wider, and the leading edge angle is a little off.

The nose cone should be a little pointier.

I should add that the kit fins may not be able to be recut to fit the scale profile, but, I would need to look again, and I'm a little busy right now.

tbzep
03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I have te original version of this kit..circa 1980's... I believe the tube length was correct or, at least close, the fin shape was off. Peter Alway's Scale bash has the proper fin. IIRC the kit's are slighly wider, and the leading edge angle is a little off.

The nose cone should be a little pointier.
I've got one too, but haven't bothered to measure it. The fins have considerably more area than true scale, just going by eyeballs. I guess it was an hpr kit or two that was stretched a bit.

jdbectec
03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
I've got one too, but haven't bothered to measure it. The fins have considerably more area than true scale, just going by eyeballs. I guess it was an hpr kit or two that was stretched a bit.

We're apparently posting at the same time........ :chuckle:

The fin profile isn't right but, it isn't too far off. I t's closer than the semi-scale profile in the old K-22 but not as close as the Centuri or Peter Alway's.

I think the leading edge angle is the eye-catcher.