PDA

View Full Version : I finally stopped slacking...

Tweener
08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
and smoking!! :D Since I've needed to find something to do to keep my mind off cigarettes, I've made a good head start on my build queue. My bosses have been supportive in letting me build at my work desk when things are a bit slow. :cool: (This has also solved my previous "cat" problems, since they don't come to work with me.) The new Thunder Roc clone construction is nearly complete, and the Semroc Laser-X that's been sitting in my closet for months has finally taken shape. I should be able to start finishing each this weekend! At this rate, I may actually get the Saturn V underway before winter. Pics to come. ;)

Jim@MilkyWay
08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
and smoking!! :D Since I've needed to find something to do to keep my mind off cigarettes, ....You Go, Man, Go, Go, Go!!!
I understand the addiction thing. You don't know me from Adam, but I sure do wish/hope that someone can say something to help with your plan to quit. Did you try all/any of the conventional quitting techniques?
I was in my Mom's face for _YEARS_ to try and "help" her along the path. I apparently did not impact her positively as she is worse now than ever.
If you need to hear some words of encouragement, then PM me.

Your supportive netpal, Jim. ;)

Tweener
08-24-2006, 06:38 PM
You Go, Man, Go, Go, Go!!!Thanks! I'm taking it one day at a time right now. Funny, but I really haven't had an overwhelming craving yet this time. (I've tried before.) My stress level has been pretty low of late. Did you try all/any of the conventional quitting techniques?Cold turkey, man - and the knowledge that I'll be saving about $140.00 to $180.00 a month if I'm successful. I can buy a lot more rocket kits and engines with that! :D (I'll be around longer to enjoy them, too.)

Bob H
08-24-2006, 06:44 PM
and smoking!! :D I found that it was easy to quit smoking.... so easy, in fact, that I quit dozens of times.

In all seriousness, it is a difficult task and I commend you for the effort.

Don't make the same mistake I made. I had quit smoking for a long period of time (more than 2 years) and was out with some friends partaking of some adult beverages. I was offered a cigarette and thought that "only 1" wouldn't hurt. That 1 turned into an occasional smoke when I was out with friends. After a while, I didn't want to seem like a leech so I bought a pack to pay everybody back. Needless to say, I smoked the rest of the pack and I was hooked again.

It took me nearly 3 years before I quit again, this time for good. I realized that even 1 cigarette was too many and this time I have quit for 26 years.

Jim@MilkyWay
08-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I'm taking it one day at a time right now. Funny, but I really haven't had an overwhelming craving yet this time. (I've tried before.) My stress level has been pretty low of late.Cold turkey, man - and the knowledge that I'll be saving about $140.00 to $180.00 a month if I'm successful. I can buy a lot more rocket kits and engines with that! :D (I'll be around longer to enjoy them, too.)If you can run, and I mean _RUN_ after birds, yours or others, at touchdown, then you are still good to go.
No response requested unless you choose to.

Bob H
08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks! I'm taking it one day at a time right now. Funny, but I really haven't had an overwhelming craving yet this time. (I've tried before.) Good for you.

When I quit, the thought of "never , ever" having a cigarette again was driving me nuts until I decided that I wasn't quitting "forever" and I was just not going to smoke that day.

But, every day I decided not to smoke that day and after a while, I no longer had the urge to smoke.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
I found that it was easy to quit smoking.... so easy, in fact, that I quit dozens of times.

In all seriousness, it is a difficult task and I commend you for the effort.

Don't make the same mistake I made. I had quit smoking for a long period of time (more than 2 years) and was out with some friends partaking of some adult beverages. I was offered a cigarette and thought that "only 1" wouldn't hurt.

That was always my problem. Nothing felt more natural being in a bar than a pitcher of beer in front of me and a cigarette in my hand. These days I stay out of bars.

James Pierson
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
My congradulation on your decision to stop smoking. The decision to stop is half the battle.
After 24 years of smoking I stopped just two years ago and it the cleanest thing I have even done for myself. Butts, ashes everywere, bad breath, coughing, tar on windshield etc... etc... :eek: I saved about the some amount of cash as you so I went out and bought a new Toyota Tunda longbed, regular cab, V6, very sweet!! :D and the pament is covered.

My Best Wishes,

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

ghrocketman
08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I lost my Mom to Lung Cancer 8 years ago....she did not quit soon enough.
That was enough to make me quit smoking....unfortunately I have been chewing Nicorette gum for those EIGHT years....not saving much money but no longer ingesting carcinogens either. :rolleyes:
Quit & KEEP QUITTING !

Tweener
08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Whoa! Thanks for your support everyone!! :eek: My situation was that I didn't even start until I was 21 or 22 - way old enough to know better. Before that I was a fullback on my high school football team, and 4 year letterman in track and field. This past week I launched my Mercury Redstone and had to traverse a small ditch to get the capsule. As I walked back to the pad, I was huffing and wheezing so badly that I was ashamed of myself. I knew it wasn't age alone that caused me to go from 10.9 sec 100 yard dashes to 7 or 8 minute 40 yards across the ditch and back. :(

Tweener
08-26-2006, 07:43 PM
The Laser-X is completely built and I have begun to fill the balsa grain. I had been using the prime 'n' sand technique, but decided that since this was a retro design I'd go back to an older method for a change. I brushed on a mixture of 50/50 Elmer's Glue All and water for a base coat. After that dried, I brushed on another coat of 65/35 ( a little thicker ). When this dries I'll sand and repeat the thicker mixture until smooth. This was the first fill 'n' sand process I ever used and after finding a fin from an old Estes Laser in a box and seeing how well it stood up to the test of time I decided it was worth revisiting.