PDA

View Full Version : JMRC Sept 9-10, 2006 Launch

Eagle3
08-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Where: Michigan International Speedway (Gate 3 entrance)
When: September 9 & 10, 2006 (10:00 - 5:00)

Special 9/11 rememberence on Sunday
5,000' waiver
All launch equipment including hybrid GSE provided.
11 low power pads, 6 medium pads, and 6 high power/hybrid pads
Many (and I mean MANY) vendors at the field including SFSM Industries, Cowboy (BoosterVision) Rocketry, Red Arrow Hobbies, Impulse Buys, and more.

If you're only going to make one JMRC launch a year this is the one to go to!

Map (http://jmrconline.org/jmrc_maps.htm)

Eagle3
09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Phew, I'm beat!

The photos are posted;
http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jmrc_sept06

Some of the photos on Sunday didn't come out really well because it was cloudy, bleak, and a gray overcast.

Highlights:
Saturday -
George Pike's L2 cert flight with a J350 in an upscale Interceptor!
Dan Hesselius' Endeavour had a great launch, but unfortunately one chute failed to deploy
Chris Palmer's giant egg odd-roc
Dale Hodgson vs Emma Sadowsky drag race round 4
Jo Anne Miller's Sideshow Bob SRS hybrid
Sam's Paperplate Odd-roc
Dan Griswold's wayward HYPERTEK hybrid flight

Sunday -
9/11 Tribute launch
Steve Kristal's Lunar Express L1 cert flight.
Sideshow Bob round 2
Kathy Miller's Sunward fighter models
Gordon Agnello's Pershing 1A & Nike Ajax
Mike Bear's Upscale Beta caught during staging
Fred Ziegler had two really great flights (and models) trashed because of inaccurate Aerotech delays :(

Green Dragon
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
nice photos.

a good mix of some hpr and model / classics.

not much classic rockets flying around NY club launches ( least not Western NY ), lot more emphasis on hpr with clubs I fly with , which isn't bad ( I fly much hpr myelf, just not the same as the 'good old days' . lol ) .

like the pic of the rack with the Goblin, then the new Estes kit ( an X prize job, I don't remember names of new uninspireds tuff, sorry ), then the Cherokee D and the Quest shuttle .. neat mix.

like the Mako - is that a barclone design ? might have to build one if it is .. ;-)

overall loks like a fun launch ( bummer about your shuttle America though, did it get damaged much ? .. I still have the remains of my Saturn 1B, did not like pranging at all :-(

~ AL

Eagle3
09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
With the exception of the blue shuttle it's a total loss. I've pranged it before, but not that bad. I think I have enough spare parts to piece another one together. Might have to do something constructive with the nose cone though..... I have a mint one in the box, but I'm resisting the urge to opening it. :D

The Mako is an Estes DOM plan. Here's a link for the plan;
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrn/designs/Mako.pdf
Started that model a long time ago and then it sat in a box for years before I finally finished it last year. Flies great and it's unique on the rack.

We get a pretty good turn out at our launches with about 200 launches. A really good mix across the impulse spectrum too. We get a fair number of kids to show up, some vets and some first timers. We also get a lot of transient folks that are visiting the area. George Pike from Pittsburg was up visiting relatives and flew both days with us. We also get a good number of people from Ohio and even Indiana.

Green Dragon
09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
With the exception of the blue shuttle it's a total loss. I've pranged it before, but not that bad. I think I have enough spare parts to piece another one together. Might have to do something constructive with the nose cone though..... I have a mint one in the box, but I'm resisting the urge to opening it. :D

The Mako is an Estes DOM plan. Here's a link for the plan;
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrn/designs/Mako.pdf
Started that model a long time ago and then it sat in a box for years before I finally finished it last year. Flies great and it's unique on the rack.

We get a pretty good turn out at our launches with about 200 launches. A really good mix across the impulse spectrum too. We get a fair number of kids to show up, some vets and some first timers. We also get a lot of transient folks that are visiting the area. George Pike from Pittsburg was up visiting relatives and flew both days with us. We also get a good number of people from Ohio and even Indiana.

that's sad about the Shuttle, I;d be sick.. I was sick for days / months over my S1B, couldn;'t even look at it for a year or two ...
side note - if anyone has any Cox Saturn 1B parts to part with :-) , or if my remains would help someone fix one up, drop me a line.

Thanks for the Mako link - I thought maybe it was a Shrox or somesuch, but found nothing on EMRR, looks like one more I have to add to the growing Que (although some progress made this afternoon :-) ,

a few kids fly here at launches I attend, but not a lot, usualy,depends on the launch.. when we had the NAR section locally ( 80's -early 90's) we used to have a lot of family involment, and a few HPR guys ,including myself .. even a couple BARS in the mid 80's , who have since left the hobby again :-(, have not seen either in some time (brothers),should look em up .
I;ve never had the chance to fly at a launch I just happened to be in town for, but did get to drop in on a Novaar (VA) launch once, that I never knew about until I was in the area on a mini-vacation, so we did get to attend, but not fly.
I almost got to go to an Oregon launch when I was out to my father-in-laws, but was a few days early....
ah well, someday I threaten to visit out there when a launch is on, and get to meet some other of the lsit members ( Arley, etc ? ) .

Back to sanding and priming :-)

~ AL

ghrocketman
09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I planned on coming to the launch on Sunday to join NAR and cert L1 with my Sumo, but the I just could not justify the 2+ hour drive when the weather looked so bad.
Is there an October launch ?

sandman
09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I planned on coming to the launch on Sunday to join NAR and cert L1 with my Sumo, but the I just could not justify the 2+ hour drive when the weather looked so bad.
Is there an October launch ?

I drove 4 1/2 hrs!

Yes, I believe there is an October launch. Oct 14, 2006.

Eagle3
09-11-2006, 09:38 PM
that's sad about the Shuttle,...

Here's the post flight damage photo. I have an extra set of gliders as well as a main body. I'll have to repair the nose cone.

The next launch is October 14 at MIS. The weather wasn't great Sunday, mainly just cold and breezy from the North. There were still cert flights that day and we managed to keep almost everything on the field.