PDA

View Full Version : When Fish Fly! True April Fool's Story

hcmbanjo
04-01-2012, 08:50 AM
So - this morning I went to the schoolyard to launch a few.

I saw some movement on the ground near the launcher.
I walked over a found a catfish - alive, flipping around on the grass.
It didn't make a whole lot of sense. The nearest lake is 1/4 mile away.

My first thought was: "Get out of there before the aliens land!

A guy was running his two dogs nearby. He walked over and asked about the rockets.
I shook Robert's hand and talked up the hobby. I then pointed out the catfish flipping around in the grass.

He gave the best explanation.
I've never seen them, but he said there was eagles in the area. An eagle could have picked up the fish from the lake and dropped it on the field.

Mystery solved!
He picked up the fish and walked it back to the lake to release it.

Ltvscout
04-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Wacky!

jeffyjeep
04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Are you yankin' us?

hcmbanjo
04-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Are you yankin' us?

No!
I know, it's April first and all, but it really happened.

foamy
04-01-2012, 11:36 AM
There's an imported catfish that went native here in the states called a walking cat fish:

The walking catfish, (Clarias batrachus), is a species of freshwater airbreathing catfish found primarily in Southeast Asia, so named for its ability to "walk" across dry land, to find food or suitable environments. While it does not truly walk as most bipeds or quadrupeds do, it has the ability to use its pectoral fins to keep it upright as it makes a sort of wiggling motion with snakelike movements.[1] It can survive using this form of locomotion as long as it stays moist.[1] This fish normally lives in slow-moving and often stagnant waters in ponds, swamps, streams and rivers (Mekong and Chao Phraya basins), flooded rice paddies or temporary pools which may dry up. When this happens, its "walking" skill allows the fish to move to other sources of water.

from Wikipedia

Though, it doesn't resemble one. Your conclusion is probably right.

Bill
04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about this: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10771 until I saw the different poster.

Bill