PDA

View Full Version : Sam3

cjp
04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Just finished a SAM3 rocket kit.This was a fun build and came out real nice. Will post a picture tommorrow after the paint has had a chance to dry.Has anyone else built this neat rocket? :)

cjp
04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I put a coat of Future on the SAM,you can't really tell but the paint glows.Love that Dupli-Color Inferno Red.

pantherjon
04-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Looks nice!:) I have mine still in the bag:chuckle: One of these days!:rolleyes:

cjp
04-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Looks nice!:) I have mine still in the bag:chuckle: One of these days!:rolleyes:
Thanks,The red paint is alot darker than shows in the picture.Almost like a candy apple red with flakes.

Kimble29
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Looks killer!

I finished building mine a month or so ago. I have not finished painting it yet. I posted a pic of it in the What'd in your build que thread. I'll be honest.... this kit gave me FITS. I had to order new balsa and then I had to order the entire engine mount and body tube because it wouldn't go together correctly with the glue on it. I needed to sand some things and I didn't and then it was a done deal and the glue was bonded and I was screwed. Luckily, Semroc has all their parts available so I was able to get the new stuff I needed then complete the build. But it was just one of those kits that gave me fits all the way through.

cjp
04-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks killer!

I finished building mine a month or so ago. I have not finished painting it yet. I posted a pic of it in the What'd in your build que thread. I'll be honest.... this kit gave me FITS. I had to order new balsa and then I had to order the entire engine mount and body tube because it wouldn't go together correctly with the glue on it. I needed to sand some things and I didn't and then it was a done deal and the glue was bonded and I was screwed. Luckily, Semroc has all their parts available so I was able to get the new stuff I needed then complete the build. But it was just one of those kits that gave me fits all the way through.
I found the small balsa parts a little hard to cut out,but I was careful.The only thing was when I glued all the fin sets ,they are not perfectly lined up.So it may spin but that's alright.I'm only going to fly it on a B6-4 and then retire it.A nice kit.If you can,when done painting I would like to see a picture.Bet it will come out great.cjp ;)

Feyd
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Has anyone flown this kit yet? I built mine but when I masked it for painting I didn't do a very good job and I'm
embarassed about the paint job. I may end up repainting it a solid color with maybe a different color on main fins.

FastCargo
04-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Built mine as a conversion to 13mm power. Flies good on 1/2A3-2Ts and A10-3Ts. Only issue is the large 'booster stage' fins are a bit thin...shock cord cut a deep notch into one of them just recently. I may buy another and use smaller 'booster stage' fins with thicker stock. It'll get the proportions closer to the real thing, since I like flying it on 13mm engines.

FC

Right Wing Wacko
04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Has anyone flown this kit yet? I built mine but when I masked it for painting I didn't do a very good job and I'm embarassed about the paint job. I may end up repainting it a solid color with maybe a different color on main fins.

I had the same problem with mine. Looks ok from a distance, but you can see the rough mask lines. I the rocket white, and the NC and Fins light blue.

johnnwwa
04-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Did I see the SAM 3 in Pasco last weekend?

ghrocketman
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
When I build mine, I may make it two-stage 18mm to 13mm.