PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Defender !!!!!!! .. or .. TA 10-16 use ?

Green Dragon
08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Note the latest update to YORP brings us this long-lost, and eagerly awaited, vintage cluster kit .

I'm already working on one, lol ....

What I found of interest, however, was that the kit uses a shroud reducer from the ST16 to ST10, ala Laser X.
no huge deal to replicate, I think Carl might even have those ? ( or one the way ? )

However.... I have a balsa transition St16 to St10 that I;ve been hoarding for years , never knew what it fit.
In fact, I posted here in the past:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=553&highlight=transition

and the only suggested use was for the Defender.

I might use it and do away with the paper transition - but now am curious as to the use of the TA 10-16 ,,, was that ever used in a kit ? or just an available custom part ?

~ AL

snaquin
08-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Note the latest update to YORP brings us this long-lost, and eagerly awaited, vintage cluster kit .

I'm already working on one, lol ....

What I found of interest, however, was that the kit uses a shroud reducer from the ST16 to ST10, ala Laser X.
no huge deal to replicate, I think Carl might even have those ? ( or one the way ? )

However.... I have a balsa transition St16 to St10 that I;ve been hoarding for years , never knew what it fit.
In fact, I posted here in the past:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=553&highlight=transition

and the only suggested use was for the Defender.

I might use it and do away with the paper transition - but now am curious as to the use of the TA 10-16 ,,, was that ever used in a kit ? or just an available custom part ?

~ AL

Funny, first thing I did when I saw the post from Scott and downloaded the .pdf was to check and see if Carl made that part :)

If the midsection is 1.5" here's the part:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=294

The Centuri Defender looks to be a very interesting and challenging rocket to build. I never owned that kit and I've never seen one built.

I'd print out the paper transition from the .pdf and tape it together to see if it is equal to your balsa one. For ease of construciton (translated: my laziness) I'd try to use a balsa transition as well ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Is it just me, or do those decals have an MPC-esque quality to them? :confused:

Ltvscout
08-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Is it just me, or do those decals have an MPC-esque quality to them? :confused:
It says right on the decal scan that it's a modified MPC decal. I'm not sure if the Defender came with its own decals. Carl could probably answer that for us since I heard he got a kit at NARAM. If there is a decal maybe he'll scan it for us. ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
It says right on the decal scan that it's a modified MPC decal. I'm not sure if the Defender came with its own decals. Carl could probably answer that for us since I heard he got a kit at NARAM. If there is a decal maybe he'll scan it for us. ;)

Yeah, I caught that after I posted. I was just looking at the small decal jpg on the Defender page. :o
I've still got it. :rolleyes:

Carl@Semroc
08-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Funny, first thing I did when I saw the post from Scott and downloaded the .pdf was to check and see if Carl made that part :)

If the midsection is 1.5" here's the part:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=294

Midsection is 1.2".
This will be the correct balsa replacement:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1022

Decals shown are probably MPC. Decals with the kit are two sets of Snipe Hunter decals. :confused: Since the SH is ST-7 to ST-10, they must have thought two sets will "reach" around the larger tubes in the Defender. There is no instructions on how to place them. We will have some that match the catalog model.

The nose cone in the kit is the standard BC-52 1.6" long. The photo model looks more like the BC-51 1.0" long with a rounded tip. I like the photo model better.

I did have a good conversation with Lee about catalog models, instruction pictures, and actual final kit parts. Probably need to do another thread in the future about all that!

By the way, this is all top secret and should not be divulged to anyone that might think we will produce a Defender or its parts in the near future! :D

barone
08-30-2006, 07:31 AM
By the way, this is all top secret and should not be divulged to anyone that might think we will produce a Defender or its parts in the near future! :D
LMAO! :D

Don
NAR 53455

JRThro
08-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I promise I will not tell anyone.

ghrocketman
08-30-2006, 08:38 AM
The secret adapter product launch is safe with me....I won't tell..... :p

Tau Zero
08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I did have a good conversation with Lee about catalog models, instruction pictures, and actual final kit parts. Probably need to do another thread in the future about all that!Yeah, what was the deal with the Quasar's "angled" paper boattail when the catalog picture *plainly* shows a curved tail cone? :mad: (Inquiring minds want to know!) :eek:

By the way, this is all top secret and should not be divulged to anyone that might think we will produce a Defender or its parts in the near future! :DY'know, guys, since this is an election year and everything... I wonder if this isn't some kind of diversionary tactic. As if Carl is trying to draw our attention away from something else entirely.

(innocent expression) "Hey, look over there! TAU ZERO!" :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Grinning, ducking, and running,

Green Dragon
08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Printed out and mocked up the shroud tonight, and it is real close to the balsa transition I have.

Will try to get a comparison pic, batteries in the digital are dead...

Looks like I'll 'replicate' the Defender using the balsa adapter, instead of the hollow coupler / shroud, have to figure the lengths to cut down the tube...

cutting the fins shortly, did anyone other than me think those look on the small-ish side ? especially for a tail-heavy 3 cluster ?
I guess with 6 find they can be smaller,.. I even went back and double check, thinking I;d printed them 'fit to page' or some non-100% size, but they;re correct per the plans.

Will keep updates on the progress.

~ AL