PDA

View Full Version : Estes MR modification

jharding58
04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I have been asked to build the Estes Mercury Redstone but with a little twist. The buyer would like to have the LES tower detach from the capsule at ejection and return under the canopy with the booster.

The only solution that I have been able to come up with is to have the tower and antennae can friction fit on to the capsule. At ejection the capsule would be pushed out of the tube along with its' parachute. The tower and can would be attached to the primary chute by a length of mono line. If I have sufficient length of line and shock cord I ought to be able to get the capsule clear of the BT and tower before the tension on the line will produce a clear sep on the capsule and tower/booster.

My second consideration was an internal cap on the capsule with a small magnet and a corresponding piece of ferrous metal on the base of the tower. Enough gauss to hold it together during launch but still be pulled apart when all the bits start flying. Oh yes, I also have to attach the capsule chute to the top of the capsule with an elastic cord so that under canopy the chute is close parachute compartment.

Anyone got stones to throw?

jeffyjeep
04-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi John.

I hope the customer is offering you a butt-load of loot for this!

jeffyjeep
04-14-2012, 03:02 AM
John, whatever you decide--will you do a thread on it?

jharding58
04-14-2012, 07:50 AM
They are putting in a small butt-load. It was their idea to split on ejection. My concern is the chutes fouling and the whole thing coming down in a heap on the first launch.

tbzep
04-14-2012, 08:10 AM
They are putting in a small butt-load. It was their idea to split on ejection. My concern is the chutes fouling and the whole thing coming down in a heap on the first launch.
It's their money, their idea, and their launch. Warn them what might happen, sell it to them if they still want it, and wash your hands of the possible outcome.

jeffyjeep
04-14-2012, 08:20 AM
John, there's only one solution (you'll thank me for my genius.)

Build TWO identical MR's with the modification. Sell one, launch the other yourself. Submit a detailed thread of the launch complete with video and sound!

You're welcome. :D