PDA

View Full Version : In the works

Carl@Semroc
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
We need a new voting system for kits we are working on. Here are the next dozen or so that are in various stages of completion. Which five do you think we should concentrate on for NARAM?

9 Omega
8 USS America
7 Starship Excalibur
6 Egg Crate
6 AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
6 Starlight
6 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
5 Starship Correy
3 Nighthawk
2 Midget
1 Maxi-Micron
1 ThunderStorm
0 Arcon 1/4

Earl
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Eggcrate
USS America
Omega

you pick the last two..... ;)

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-21-2012, 11:00 PM
1 Midget
1 Egg Crate
1 USS America
0 Starlight
0 Starship Excalibur
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Crocodile
05-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Egg Crate
USS America
Starlight
Omega
AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10

BrianURocket
05-22-2012, 04:42 AM
Egg Crate
Starship Excalibur
Nighthawk
Starship Correy
AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10

jeffyjeep
05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Omega
USS America
Starlight
1/10 Phoenix
Nike Tomahawk

Robobud
05-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Omega
Phoenix 1/10
Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
Egg Crate
Omega

pantherjon
05-22-2012, 07:59 AM
2 Omega
2 USS America
1 Starship Excalibur
0 Starship Correy
0 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10

My choices...Yeah, I am eclectic!:chuckle:

jetlag
05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
2 USS America
1 Starlight
1 Starship Excalibur
0 Nighthawk
0 Starship Correy

The USS America is what I'd really like to have! Love that Sci-Fi!
Thanks for even asking us.

Allen
SAM #50

jbuscaglia
05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
Starlight
Omega
Starship Excalibur

Chas Russell
05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Starship Excaliber (Estes DOM?)
Nike-Tomahawk
Maxi-Micron
ThunderStorm (have to complete the series)
Omega

ghrocketman
05-22-2012, 10:02 AM
In order:

Egg Crate
MMMMMMidget !!!!
Nike Tomahawk
Starlight
Nighthawk

I would actually skip the Omega over all those as that is one of the simplest kits to clone just by slapping a 'parts kit' together of a BNC60AH Nose cone, 3 sections of BT60, a couple stage couplers, a BT60 nose block, a couple BT50 to BT60 motor mounts, some fin stock and a recovery system.

Doug Sams
05-22-2012, 11:00 AM
In order:

MMMMMMidget !!!!Well, of course, that one always gets my vote :)

What I like about it is that it can be done several ways. The stock Mini Brute EST-0840 would use stock mini (T) motors. The earlier, stock K-40 would use T motors with 18mm adaptors (or can be built with 13mm motor tubes).

BT-55 and BT-60 upscales work great with stock 18 and 24mm motors, respectively. These require somewhat non-scale changes to the length of the booster sections (as I recall) but it's not not noticeable, the changes are quite minor.

That said, the corps of Midget enthusiasts is quite small, so I question whether there's enough market to justify any of these.

Doug

Bob H
05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I am not going to say Starship Excalibur since I just finished one last week.

The laser cut fins were nice though.

USS America
AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
Starship Correy
Midget

I would prefer the Midget be the original size. I wouldn't mind using adapters to make "mini motors" into "shorty motors" but that's probably just me.

Eagle3
05-22-2012, 11:37 AM
USS America
Starship Excalibur
Starlight
Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
Starship Correy

foamy
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
Starlight
Thunderstorm
Maxi Micron

Carl@Semroc
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Latest votes:

9 Omega
8 USS America
7 Starship Excalibur
7 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
6 Egg Crate
6 AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
7 Starlight
5 Starship Correy
3 Nighthawk
2 Midget
2 ThunderStorm
2 Maxi-Micron
0 Arcon 1/4

Notes:
Omega comes with balsa "Cineroc" payload section. We will probably offer the 60AH payload section as a "free kit" to SAM's that purchase the Omega. Another reason for the Omega is the new Estes E12 engines! It has slotted tubes for straight flights if a camera is installed.

We have kept pushing the USS America out because of the cost. Still not sure if it would sell at $45. There is a lot of stuff in it. AND it really needs more than a standard Estes C6-3 to fly it. It was originally designed around the Centuri C5 with 50% more initial thrust. That makes it a 24mm version for now using C11 and D12 (maybe E12!)

The Phoenix in 1/10 scale was fun to build. Combination of 3/16" balsa for root of long vanes and basswood for the vanes and fins makes it look scale. It will have 1/2 oz clay weight in nose. The slowdown for it is the special stencil font to match the original. I started editing a similar font, but there are many letters and numbers left to do.

The holdback on the Nike-Tomahawk is the built-up fins from basswood struts and card stock. The result looks good, but it makes it like the LJ II and S1B fins which some don't like.

The "cabin" and split tubes on the SS Excalibur have been a challenge to produce. I wanted all the slotting and cuts to be done by laser, but it looks like the builder still must split the BT-5 lengthwise.

The laser-cut cardstock at the base of the SS Correy may be challenging to some.

We will probably re-release the Nighthawk as an xKit. Scott has a better drawing now. We dropped it several years ago when Estes announced it as one of the Classic Series, but I was told they no longer had any plans for it.

Thanks for all the input. It really helps make some tough decisions.

CPMcGraw
05-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Carl wrote: The "cabin" and split tubes on the SS Excalibur have been a challenge to produce. I wanted all the slotting and cuts to be done by laser, but it looks like the builder still must split the BT-5 lengthwise.

What about using the laser to cut down the sides of the tubes like you do the fins in a sheet? Leave some connecting tabs for the builder to finish cutting. That would keep the tubes relatively round during shipping, and would make the edges about as straight as possible. One addition to the kit might be some "new moons" of 0.07" matteboard to act as internal bulkheads (to help the tubes hold their shape).

stefanj
05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
How big is the Maxi Micron? Just curious . .

I'm not going to vote, because I am SO. TOTALLY. OVERLOADED. with unbuilt kits that I can't in good faith throw off the stats on "what seems most cool" rather than what I'd buy.

(I am likely to buy a bunch of Semroc kits as give-aways . . . and it can't hurt to keep and build one Sprite, right? :) )

conleyt
05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
USS America
ThunderStorm
Starship Correy
Starlight
Arcon 1/4

Scott6060842
05-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Nighthawk
Starlight

tonypv
05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Nike-Tomahawk
USS America
AIM-54C Phoenix
Omega
Starship Excalibur

Mark II
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
I want all of them! If I had to choose just five for now, though, they would be:

USS America
Egg Crate
Starlight (yes!)
Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
ThunderStorm or 1/4 Arcon
I was going to add the Sprite, but you've already taken care of that. :D

Oh, my shopping/wish list just keeps getting longer and longer... :o

BEC
05-22-2012, 10:39 PM
This is hard - I know some of these and not others. So....

Starship Excalibur
USS America (can fly 18mm on D10-5s or D21-4s I'd think)
Starlight

After that, I'm not sure.....

The idea of a 1/4 scale model appeals to me - so the Arcon. And the Midget would be fun.....

Mark II
05-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, of course, that one always gets my vote :)

What I like about it is that it can be done several ways. The stock Mini Brute EST-0840 would use stock mini (T) motors. The earlier, stock K-40 would use T motors with 18mm adaptors (or can be built with 13mm motor tubes).

BT-55 and BT-60 upscales work great with stock 18 and 24mm motors, respectively. These require somewhat non-scale changes to the length of the booster sections (as I recall) but it's not not noticeable, the changes are quite minor.

That said, the corps of Midget enthusiasts is quite small, so I question whether there's enough market to justify any of these.

Doug

.I could definitely go for one as well. I'm not as bad (good?) as you, but I have already cloned three of them (different sizes).

Mark II
05-22-2012, 11:04 PM
The holdback on the Nike-Tomahawk is the built-up fins from basswood struts and card stock. The result looks good, but it makes it like the LJ II and S1B fins which some don't like.Hurray! That's the only way to get those bevels outside of a machine shop. Definitely the way to go for the Nike fins, but would you do the same for the Tomahawk's? (They would be pretty small and quite thin, but I'd be game either way, built-up or solid.)

Gotta finish my 1/8 N-T now.

kurth
05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Omega!

GuyNoir
05-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Nighthawk
USS America
Starship Excalibur
Nike-Tomahawk 1/10
Omega

ghrocketman
05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I vote for a 1/3 (not 1/10) scale Phoenix kit for under $50.00 with pre-machined to shape fins and a solid balsa or Fibreglass nose cone.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
On THAT note, an XL sized Starlight (BT-60 based or larger) would be simply awesome!

Here's the last "standard size" Starlight I scratch-built from Semroc parts. The only variation I did from the original was I constructed the fins from basswood for stronger "pointyness(?)". This paint scheme is the later red/white version. I believe the very first color variant was a transparent blue over metallic silver. I've never actually seen one in that color, though.

jharding58
05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Nike-Tomahawk
USS America
AIM-54C Phoenix
Omega
Starship Excalibur

Ditto

Carl@Semroc
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Latest votes:

14 USS America
13 Omega
12 Starlight
11 Starship Excalibur
11 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10

8 AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
7 Egg Crate
6 Starship Correy
5 Nighthawk
4 Midget
4 ThunderStorm
2 Maxi-Micron
2 Arcon 1/4

Maxi-Micron is ST-18 based 1.84" OD x 21.3" tall
Midget is "Shorty" using empty casings like Sprite.
Arcon is in decision stage of either 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale (which wound be 2.04" OD and 44.7' tall in same scale as Arcas.)

tbzep
05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list. It's very easy to clone. It's just an 8FNC rocket. :p I built my first Cineroc downlink camera by turning my own nose cone and transition. SEMROC has the parts now, so the most recent Cineroc payload I built was a piece of cake. Looks to me like you guys would want the kits that are tougher to clone to be at the top of the list. :confused:

USS America and Starship Excalibur are the most interesting to me as kits instead of having to clone them. I don't recall what the Starship Correy is supposed to look like, but it sounds cool. The rest of the kits that I'm familiar with should be pretty easy to clone.

Doug Sams
05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list. It's very easy to clone. It's just an 8FNC rocket. :p These things turn into popularity contests pretty quickly. Heck, I chimed in on the mention of Midget, yet it too is a no-brainer for cloning.

That said, for lots of builders, cutting the tubes is a hassle, as is dealing with decals. So having it all together in a kit bag is a big plus for those folks.

But, I agree, lots of kits are easily cloned, 3FNC's: Sprint, Cherokee-D, Omega-D and Midget, just to name a few.

If we focus on the really hard to find or make parts, the list would be dramatically different. For example, cloning a Mars Lander is much more difficult than a Midget, so (if it weren't already available) it would be a good candidate.

So, yeah, I agree, folks should wish for those hard-to-clone-but-popular kits and not simply their favorite kits.

Doug

jetlag
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list. It's very easy to clone. It's just an 8FNC rocket. :p I built my first Cineroc downlink camera by turning my own nose cone and transition. SEMROC has the parts now, so the most recent Cineroc payload I built was a piece of cake. Looks to me like you guys would want the kits that are tougher to clone to be at the top of the list. :confused:

USS America and Starship Excalibur are the most interesting to me as kits instead of having to clone them. I don't recall what the Starship Correy is supposed to look like, but it sounds cool. The rest of the kits that I'm familiar with should be pretty easy to clone.

+1 !

As for the Starship Correy:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-32

Good lookin' for sure.

Allen

DeanHFox
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Starship Excalibur
Starlight
Starship Correy
USS America
Nike-Tomahawk

Carl@Semroc
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list....
In the past, we have all the parts for particular models months before we released the kits, but very few sets were ordered. In some cases, we even released a bag of the parts (xKits) and they did not sell. But as soon as we released the actual kit, hundreds sold. It probably has something to do with having everything, including the instructions, in one bag.

The Omega Kit will not be exactly the same as the old kit, as all our releases are slightly different. It will work with 2.75" or 3.75" engines, including the new E12. The tubes are laser slotted with through-the-wall fins for less roll if a camera is used.

I agree that there are so many sources of so many parts that almost of the early kits can be cloned without having to buy kits. We do sell lots of parts, but once we release a kit, we notice that the number of orders that have parts to built that kit goes to zero and people buy the kits instead. I asked the question once and the answer I got was that he was not going to build the kit now, but when he opened the bag twenty years in the future, he wanted all the parts and instructions to be there.

tbzep
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
The Omega Kit will not be exactly the same as the old kit, as all our releases are slightly different. It will work with 2.75" or 3.75" engines, including the new E12. The tubes are laser slotted with through-the-wall fins for less roll if a camera is used.
3.75" motors would make an interesting CP/CG relationship in Cineroc configuration. It's a pretty short body without the payload section.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list.
Speaking for myself, I just got excited and completely missed the Midget. :o Given the chance, I switch them on my list.

Carl@Semroc
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
3.75" motors would make an interesting CP/CG relationship in Cineroc configuration. It's a pretty short body without the payload section.It would always be flown with either the simulated Cineroc payload section or the K-52P payload section (6" BT-60 + BNC-60AH). In Cineroc configuration, CP-CG=2.4" with E12-0 to E12-6. In 52P configuration it is 3.2". There is a lot of fin area on the Omega.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
The Starship Correy IS extremely cool! How is the ball section in the rear constructed? I think it's too large to be a ping pong ball. Is it balsa? A plastic egg half? Superelasticbubbleplastic? (yes, I'm THAT old)

Carl@Semroc
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
The Starship Correy IS extremely cool! How is the ball section in the rear constructed? I think it's too large to be a ping pong ball. Is it balsa? A plastic egg half? Superelasticbubbleplastic? (yes, I'm THAT old)It is a BTC-11SC (http://www.semroc.com/store/Scripts/NC1.asp?ID=BTC-11SC&OWN=Semroc) with laser cut fiber cover.

Ltvscout
05-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Egg Crate

Carl@Semroc
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Speaking for myself, I just got excited and completely missed the Midget. :o Given the chance, I switch them on my list.Bill,

Don't tell anyone else, but we are going to try to have the Midget ready for our free kit during NARAM. Shhh.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2012, 08:52 PM
It is a BTC-11SC (http://www.semroc.com/store/Scripts/NC1.asp?ID=BTC-11SC&OWN=Semroc) with laser cut fiber cover.
Ah! That was going to be my very next guess. ;)

grog
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Here is my vote:

1 - Starlight
2 - Midge
3 - USS America
4 - Starship Excalibur
5 - Starship Correy

Greg

SEL
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
1) Egg Crate
2) Starship Excalibur
3) Starship Correy
4) Starlight
5) Nighthawk
6) Midget

S.

Malcolm
05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
1 Omega
2 Egg Crate
3 Phoenix
4 Starlight
5 Midget

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Bill,

Don't tell anyone else, but we are going to try to have the Midget ready for our free kit during NARAM. Shhh.
I'll keep it under my hat. Plenty of room under there. :rolleyes:

Mark II
05-23-2012, 10:38 PM
+1 !

As for the Starship Correy:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-32

Good lookin' for sure.

AllenWow, I had no idea! In that case, it moves up into my top 5.

Mark II
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
In the past, we have all the parts for particular models months before we released the kits, but very few sets were ordered. In some cases, we even released a bag of the parts (xKits) and they did not sell. But as soon as we released the actual kit, hundreds sold. It probably has something to do with having everything, including the instructions, in one bag.

I agree that there are so many sources of so many parts that almost of the early kits can be cloned without having to buy kits. We do sell lots of parts, but once we release a kit, we notice that the number of orders that have parts to built that kit goes to zero and people buy the kits instead. I asked the question once and the answer I got was that he was not going to build the kit now, but when he opened the bag twenty years in the future, he wanted all the parts and instructions to be there.No, your kits definitely embody the concept of "value added." Ordering the individual parts when there is a Semroc kit available is just silly. Besides, didn't we buy the originals as bagged kits? ;)

I buy your kits to build now, not to hold them until some indefinite point in the future when I'm too feeble to hold a hobby knife.

Mark II
05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
The Starship Correy IS extremely cool! How is the ball section in the rear constructed? I think it's too large to be a ping pong ball. Is it balsa? A plastic egg half? Superelasticbubbleplastic? (yes, I'm THAT old)Ssshhhh...don't repeat this, but it's actually made from Happy Fun Ball. :eek:

jeffyjeep
05-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Ssshhhh...don't repeat this, but it's actually made from Happy Fun Ball. :eek:
"If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke............."
(and in THIS case it will)

Initiator001
05-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Carl,

My response to which kits I'd like to see relesed comes down to this:

"Whichever kits Semroc can make that will give them the most sales and profit to keep the company in business".

Having worked in the hobby rocket business and retail sales I understand sales/price points/profit.

You commented on the USS America kit and it's pricing. I can guess that you are running into a price point maximum that people will pay yet you need to make a certain amount of profit to make it worth the trouble to release. In addition, as the SRP goes up, unit sales number will go down.

It is better to sell hundreds of $10 kits with $4.00 profit then dozens of $50 kits with $4.00 profit.

So, make whatever sells best. :)

As to which of the listed kits I'd like to see, the Omega (E12-0 to E9-8! :eek: ), Egg Crate, Starlight, Midget (My first two-stage model!) and Enerjet Athena works for me (I thought I would try to slip that last one in ;) ).

I'll buy whatever you decide to make.

ghrocketman
05-25-2012, 11:38 AM
+1 to what Bob just said.
Whatever increases the likelihood that Semroc stays in business !!!!

PaulK
05-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Just 3 for me:

USS America (24mm)
Midget (Shorty version)
Starlight

I'd put in a vote for the Nighthawk if I didn't already have 3 xKits!

harsas
05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I will add a vote for the Starlight. I like them all, but the Starlight is a special favorite.

Carl@Semroc
05-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Latest votes:

19 Starlight
17 USS America
15 Omega
14 Starship Excalibur
12 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10

11 Egg Crate
10 Starship Correy
9 AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
6 Nighthawk
9 Midget
4 ThunderStorm
2 Maxi-Micron
2 Arcon 1/4
1 Athena

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Latest votes:

19 Starlight
17 USS America
15 Omega
14 Starship Excalibur
12 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10

11 Egg Crate
10 Starship Correy
9 AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
6 Nighthawk
9 Midget
4 ThunderStorm
2 Maxi-Micron
2 Arcon 1/4
1 Athena

Mmmm. Athena. :cool:

jdud
05-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Nike-Tomahawk
USS America
Starship Excalibur
AIM-54C Phoenix
Omega

I haven't ordered from Semroc in a while, due to lack of time for hobbies. However, the introduction of the Nike-Tomahawk would likely entice me to place an order.

Carl@Semroc
05-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I changed the USS America to 24mm mount. The C6-3 (Estes) needed an 80" rod! The old C5-3 needed a 40" rod.

The decals really make the model (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-77) . The new E12 will make an impressive flight!

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-29-2012, 01:21 AM
I changed the USS America to 24mm mount. The C6-3 (Estes) needed an 80" rod! The old C5-3 needed a 40" rod. The new E12 will make an impressive flight!

Even the D12 was more than enough for an impressive flight. I'm hoping to get to Muncie to try mine on an E9. The E12 is just a far off dream. ;)

The decals really make the model (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-77) .

Indeed! Kurt's redrawn decal even made my ham-handed building skills a moot point. Once it was decaled it looked great, and those were inkjet decals!

tbzep
05-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I changed the USS America to 24mm mount. The C6-3 (Estes) needed an 80" rod! The old C5-3 needed a 40" rod.

The decals really make the model (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-77) . The new E12 will make an impressive flight!
How does the C11-3 work out?

Carl@Semroc
05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
How does the C11-3 work out?The C11-3 has a 37fps deploy and the C11-5 has a 25fps deploy. Ideal would be C11-4.

We are adding a long shock cord since it weighs so much and the deployment speeds are all high.

jharding58
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Regardless of the vicissitudes of engine delay and deployment speeds, I await the release with fishy smelling breath...

ghrocketman
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking the USS America will be a good candidate for the Aerotech D10/D13 and D21/D24 18mm SU and RMS motors.
Real full D impulse and due to te reduced weight will probably come very close to the E9 altitude.
An E15/E18 would be good in 24mm.
No C motor other than the old C5 would be worth a hill of beans in a rocket this big unless in a 3x18 CLUSTER !
Might be interesting on a 3xB6-4.

I hope this comes with EXTRA-long braided elastic for the shock-cord like the SLS kits.
At those C11 deployment speeds one can expect a LOT of SNAPP-BAKK !

Can you say THWACKKKKK ?

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-29-2012, 01:40 PM
No C motor other than the old C5 would be worth a hill of beans in a rocket this big unless in a 3x18 CLUSTER !
Might be interesting on a 3xB6-4.

:cool: :cool: :eek:
BTW, between Kevlar and sewing elastic, my USS America has six feet of shock cord. :rolleyes:

PaulK
05-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Mmmm. Athena. :cool:Wait, Athena wasn't on the original list. I'd put this right at the top, perhaps even ahead of the midget!

ghrocketman
05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I want to change ALL my 5 votes to the following:

1) Enerjet Athena
2) Enerjet Athena
3) Enerjet Athena
4) Enerjet Athena
5) B14 engines

:D

tbzep
05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I cloned the Athena a couple years ago so I'm surprised he hasn't kitted it yet. :p

cjp
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I like to add another,Nike X to your list Carl.I see that you had X kit at one time.I would like to make a upscale using you BT80H tubing.Thanks,Carl P.

Initiator001
05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Mmmm. Athena. :cool:

Sorry, Carl.

I didn't mean to throw in a tangent on your potential upcoming kit releases.

I would never (Athena) try to (Athena) improperly influence (Athena) the voting for (Athena) any new kits Semroc may release (Athena). ;) :D

I will go to my room now.

jdud
05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Did someone say Athena? Oh boy!!!

jeffyjeep
05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Aside from the current small Estes Athena, what Athena are you referring to?

jdud
05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/enerjet72/72ejet12.html

She is a Beauty!

jetlag
05-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes, They Are!..

Behold a clone...

The nose cone is now silver, though, as was the original.

Allen

harsas
05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey, you know, that Athena thing looks pretty cool....

jeffyjeep
05-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Yes, They Are!..

Behold a clone...

The nose cone is now silver, though, as was the original.

Allen
Ah, so! That IS cool! When will you have them ready, Carl? :D

BEC
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Re: Athena: interesting that the actual name in that font has made it through from that lovely old design through the E2X kit of some years ago (essentially a Generic E2X with a chromed nose cone) through to the current RTF that is based on the Alpha III fin can.

That original Athena design is quite something, isn't it?

Initiator001
05-30-2012, 11:34 PM
An Enerjet Athena would look right at home with these other rockets. :D

jeffyjeep
05-31-2012, 07:28 AM
That's a gorgeous collection! Have they been flown?

Eagle3
05-31-2012, 07:30 AM
IIRC Carl has mentioned the cost of an Athena would be pretty high due to all the balsa.

foamy
05-31-2012, 08:17 AM
IIRC Carl has mentioned the cost of an Athena would be pretty high due to all the balsa.
Just out of curiousity, whatever became of the SLS Long Tom you were working on some time ago? That was looking very nice.

ghrocketman
05-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I have built two clones of the Athena as well.
I think parts cost over the Orion would only be minimal.
It uses the same fins/pods with longer tubes and a 29mm mount.
A Nylon chute would add cost but is a MUST in my book.

Carl@Semroc
05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Sorry, Carl.

I didn't mean to throw in a tangent on your potential upcoming kit releases.

I would never (Athena) try to (Athena) improperly influence (Athena) the voting for (Athena) any new kits Semroc may release (Athena). ;) :D

I will go to my room now.Bob,

I am sorry. I could not hear you because someone kept interrupting while you were talking. Sounded like GH, but I could not tell. Maybe if we all just raised our hands before we spoke, we could understand each other. I am sure you had an important point to share with the class. :chuckle:

Eagle3
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Just out of curiousity, whatever became of the SLS Long Tom you were working on some time ago? That was looking very nice.

Oh...... it's sitting next to all the other rockets I've worked on, but not finished over the past couple of years.... *sigh* I really don't have much left to do. I want to fly it staged and just need to rig the timer and battery. The removable motor mounts makes that even easier, I just need time to do it.

foamy
05-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. Please post, if you would, when you get it finished/flying. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

On topic, any rockets Semroc produces will be fine with me. Though, I told myself I'd stop buying for a spell. Hasn't worked out real well as of yet.

The little Sprite has jumped up on my 'to build' list. If and when the Nike-Tomahawk comes out, well, its certainly going on my 'to buy' list. I confess, there's little I like better than getting those long, white boxes in the mail. I don't know why.

And incidentally, the Texas Firefly is an exceptionally good looking rocket—even in primer.

Any chance of a Micro-Probe coming out?

Initiator001
05-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Bob,

I am sorry. I could not hear you because someone kept interrupting while you were talking. Sounded like GH, but I could not tell. Maybe if we all just raised our hands before we spoke, we could understand each other. I am sure you had an important point to share with the class. :chuckle:

Carl,

Is 'GH' the guy who sits in seat B14 in the classroom? ;)

CPMcGraw
05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
"...I didn't mean to throw in a tangent on your potential upcoming kit releases..."

Yeah, you might want to talk to Doug Holverson first about that one... :D

Carl@Semroc
05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Carl,

Is 'GH' the guy who sits in seat B14 in the classroom? ;)... when he is not sitting in seat E78. :confused:

Carl@Semroc
05-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, you might want to talk to Doug Holverson first about that one... :DI think he meant secant.

Mark II
06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Athena, Shmathena... I'm really looking forward to getting a Semroc Starlight.

(just kidding -- I'd love to see an Athena. Also, a Baby Athena. :D )

The Estes Starlight was going to be the 6th addition to my little fleet, way back in the magic years. Oh, how I wanted one! I think I had the order form already made out. It would have taken its place next to my Sprite; they would be the stars of my fleet, my favorites. But stuff intervened, and it never happened. I am thrilled to see it ranking so high in the voting. They say that you never get second opportunities in life. But "they" obviously never met Carl. ;)

Rocketcrab
06-02-2012, 07:58 AM
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/enerjet72/72ejet12.html

She is a Beauty!

Wew, I'm glad you cleared that up. I was thinking the Estes 4 plastic fin, plastic nose cone thing from the early 90's, and wondering what all the fuss was about! :eek:

jetlag
06-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Wew, I'm glad you cleared that up. I was thinking the Estes 4 plastic fin, plastic nose cone thing from the early 90's, and wondering what all the fuss was about! :eek:

Nah, The Enerjet Athena has to be one of the more elegant rockets ever marketed and produced. Cloning one is not all that difficult with the exception of the 2 wraps needed to complete the look. I think these wraps were from the 1/100 scale Saturn 1B ?
Every now and then, one can find these wraps for sale on ebay; I think I paid over $25 for mine. :eek: Without the shipping!

But she turned out great!
I have not used a 29mm motor yet; just the 24mm with an adapter. I flew her first on an E-9, and she performed beautifully.

Allen

Initiator001
06-02-2012, 03:49 PM
That's a gorgeous collection! Have they been flown?

I will risk taking this thread tangent to it's original purpose once again. ;)

Thank you for the compliment. Many of my Enerjet models have been flown at NARAMs.

I may have to update my Enerjet family picture sometime.

Chris_Timm
06-03-2012, 04:45 PM
What? Nobody getting excited about the 1/10 ARCON??????

ghrocketman
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I plead guilty to sitting in seat B14, but don't understand the E78 comment.
I don't think that engine ever even existed.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't think that engine ever even existed.
I didn't get that one either. :confused:

Carl@Semroc
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think that engine ever even existed. :chuckle:

The E78 is an upscaled B14 in 27mm package!

Mark II
06-06-2012, 07:26 PM
What? Nobody getting excited about the 1/10 ARCON??????I could get definitely behind that kit. I'm all for scale, especially Deci-scale. But the poll wasn't about what kits Semroc should produce, but rather, what kits Semroc should produce in time for NARAM.

ghrocketman
06-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Ahh....now I understand the E78 comment.
When a question of power comes up, more average thrust is almost always the answer.

So when are those coming out ?
In 29mm, please, not in some 'weirdo' 27mm size.

Carl@Semroc
06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Ahh....now I understand the E78 comment.
When a question of power comes up, more average thrust is almost always the answer.

So when are those coming out ?
In 29mm, please, not in some 'weirdo' 27mm size.Well, now that would be an E128, theoretically. Practically, we would probably not do anything in port type greater than 3/4C19.

ghrocketman
06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
LOL.
Would not expect any port-burners that size anyway....composites do a better job more safely in large motors.
Would be overjoyed with a 3/4C19-x, B16-x, B14-x, or ANYTHING in 18mm that has a substantial kick over the hum-drum C6 !

LW Bercini
06-08-2012, 10:02 PM
LOL.
Would not expect any port-burners that size anyway....composites do a better job more safely in large motors.
Would be overjoyed with a 3/4C19-x, B16-x, B14-x, or ANYTHING in 18mm that has a substantial kick over the hum-drum C6 !

Oh, I *LOVED* the old B14s!

Neal Miller
06-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh, I *LOVED* the old B14s!

I still have some B14s/ B8s, there is nothing like unleashing 5 NS in 3/10ths of a second.
I recently used a B14-0 to send my Astron Farside on its maiden flight. B14-0, B6-0, A8-5
work flawlessly, the B14-0 made the Farside leap off the pad and sent the Farside to a very respectful altitude. the only Black Powder Motor available today that I would compare to this type of performance is the Estes C 11.

ghrocketman
06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
There are several problems with the C11-0.
1) It does not have near the kick of the old B14
2) It is heavy due to being in a 24mm casing
3) The pricing stinks; the 'street' pricing is far closer to a D12 than a C6 for nothing but a ton of cardboard.
4) It has too much impulse as a booster over the B14 to be usable in small models with hope of easily recovering the booster stage in a small area.
5) It is not readily available at Hobby Lobby or Michael's stores that every town has...one has to either order them or find an independent hobby shop, most of which want full retail.

PaulK
06-16-2012, 04:11 PM
There are several problems with the C11-0.
3) The pricing stinks; the 'street' pricing is far closer to a D12 than a C6 for nothing but a ton of cardboard.
FWIW, the latest price increase affected most motors *except* the C11, it is now retail priced the same as the C6, $11.79. D12s now retail for $17.49! My LHSs have adjusted their prices accordingly (which, depending on the shop, is full retail, or ~20% off).

snaquin
06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I cloned the Athena a couple years ago so I'm surprised he hasn't kitted it yet. :p

Yeah, for a while there your build threads were like the SEMROC new release channel. I tuned in sometimes just to see what SEMROC was bagging up that week

:)

Here's my votes Carl:

1. Omega
2. USS America

I'm only voting for two. I haven't had a lot of time to juggle much rocketry lately but I'm sure I could come up with one more when you cut something else new loose. Sorry I haven't purchased in a while I really need to get more involved in the hobby again .....

:D

Raygun
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
1 Nike Tomahawk
2 Arcon
3 Midget
4 Starship Excalibur
5 Starship Correy

UCBadger
07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Hi, I just got access to the SAM threads!

Is there going to be a trade-in plan for the Mini Omega toward the Omega? (Just Kidding.....)

I have just one vote right now:

Midget (eagerly awaiting it now....)