PDA

View Full Version : Photon Probe

maricopasem
09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
This is my 24mm downscale of the Estes Photon Probe in progress.

I don't think I can bear to paint it pink, however.

jonrev
09-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I have an original 1990 Photon Probe and have it painted like the box. It's a very nice rocket and flies nice. I have thought about upscaling one (based on BT80 sized body tubes) that would use the Estes E engines but I can't find that type of nose cone.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/images_est/est_photon_probe01.jpg

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Just use the Phoenix cone. It's not perfect, but you can make up what's missing with extra tube, and at that size, everyone will be too intimidated to point out the discrepancy. :rolleyes: :cool:

Green Dragon
09-06-2006, 08:01 PM
I have an original 1990 Photon Probe and have it painted like the box. It's a very nice rocket and flies nice. I have thought about upscaling one (based on BT80 sized body tubes) that would use the Estes E engines but I can't find that type of nose cone.

The original Photon Probe used the PNC-55AO, if I'm not mistaken ?

SEMROC just happens to offer the BNC-80AO cone, perfect upscale come for that one :)

~ AL

( not a Semroc elf )

maricopasem
09-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I did a little more work on mine. Like I said, it's an homage, not a clone. I decided to use an Easter egg for the cone and make a transition up to it. It's my first time making a paper transition and I like it.

gstarraider
09-09-2006, 10:39 AM
you might also try the new bt-80 cone from apogee

Green Dragon
09-09-2006, 02:30 PM
you might also try the new bt-80 cone from apogee

I just recieved an assortment of cones from Apogee ( and will be writing a review shortly ).

Thier NC-80 is real short, basically a pointed tip PNC-80K, real similar profile.

It is not a longer cone like the NC55AO :(

Although - for a 24mm downscale version ( as started in the post ), a BNC-50X would be real close to 'correct'.

~ AL

maricopasem
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I finally was able to paint this one. Out here in the desert we're fortunate to not have to worry about humidity -- it's just a question of time.

I asked my boys their opinion about painting and they apparently were feeling patriotic at the moment.

We'll see how this one does with a D12-x in about two weeks. Fortunately we'll be flying on a big field so we'll be able to recover it. I'll see if I can post a picture or two of the launch.