PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Quest X-30 Aerospace Plane

AcroRay
06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
A dealer had a $5 special on Quest's X-30 AEROSPACE PLANE, and after checking some reviews I decided to get one for the challenge. It builds up really nicely, is an interesting bundle of alternative challenges, and makes for a big, impressive bird. If you can pick it up cheap, do so. But Flyer Beware... do you homework on RocketReviews and expect some poor flight performance.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/file-65193/X30%20on%20pad.jpg

Since it was a cheap kit and I'd done a lot of homework on it prior to building - including getting a 24-inch chute to replace the two 12's that can't reasonably be put in the tiny body tube - I rushed through the build a couple of days prior to last month's launch. I followed the cautions and suggestions from various reviews. Even at that, I only got one good flight from it. The first was great, but blew out the engine clip just like happened to previous flyers. Tore it nearly completely free, converting it into a friction-fit...

http://www.rocketreviews.com/file-65196/X30%20motor.jpg

Its other two launches of the day were poor. One popped the engine out without deploying the chute. The other had a defective engine with too long of an ejection delay, and since the rocket had launched right into a shallow arc, the bird glided almost the the ground before ejecting the chute uselessly. (That flight probably would have been better with no ejection charge.)

http://www.rocketreviews.com/file-65204/X30%20Third%20Launch.jpg

So, the X-30 is a fun build and makes for a nice display if you can pick it up for cheap, but do your homework and expect every problem previous builders report.

Couple of notes:

* Save your "aeroshroud" scraps to use as patches for tears and dents. Cutting one out and lining the edge in black and gluing it to the body looks just like deliberate deco. I tore out the shroud fitting in the rear bulkhead, and after repair a patch with a piece done up as a hull panel was invisible to anyone but me.

* Blue SHARPIE brand marker is a nearly perfect match to the blue print on the paper, and edges the fins perfectly.

* Spraypaint the rear engine cavity black. Looks much better that way.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I had one of these in the closet for years. I don't think it survived the move.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/file-65204/X30%20Third%20Launch.jpg

:cool: This is a KILLER pic!

CPMcGraw
06-04-2012, 10:56 PM
I have one of these still in the bag, picked up at one of those now infamous half-price extravaganzas at Hobby-Lobby. The plastic NC was crushed a bit, but I'll figure out some way to fix it up.

There was some talk about conversion to RC as a boost-glider, but it's going to take a lot of internal structure. Not sure I have the patience anymore...

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2012, 11:20 PM
After I posted, I went out to the shop to see if I still had mine, and I do. Pretty shocked, actually. I think I'm ready to give it a shot. Found a lot of other cool stuff and a few oddities. Thinking that I might start thinning the herd.

AcroRay
06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
It's really a beautiful bird for display. I wonder if converting it to a glide recovery wouldn't be a worthwhile option?

Doug Sams
06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
It's really a beautiful bird for display. I wonder if converting it to a glide recovery wouldn't be a worthwhile option?Stock, it's basically a paper model variation on the 3FNC. But when you try to make it glide-recovery, you push it up about 6 degrees of difficulty :)

I've had mine in the stash for a few years, thinking when I got 'round to it, I'd go for glide recovery, too. That seems to be what lots of the more experienced fliers I talk to say, especially the guys who are also into planes/gliders/RC.

I'm not sure where to start - TRF archives, rmr, etc - but there have been a few write-ups on doing that, some of them with disastrous results ;)

This thing is built nose-heavy for stability. So I think a pop-pod coming out the motor tube to shift the CG aft for glide is necessary. That will require re-engineering the stock motor tube setup to lengthen it.

A dowel with some weight on the forward end is affixed to the motor such that, when the motor ejects, it pulls the weight out with it thereby shifting the CG aft. This also implies that the nosecone is glued in place.

That said, even if you get all that right, the thing may still glide like a brick :)

Doug

Bill
06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Go for the gusto! Upscale it and make that glide... http://dars.org/gallery/nthp21/index.htm

Bill

Randy
06-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Verna got one 7-8 years ago but it's still in plastic. Guess what she wants to do with it. ;)

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

AcroRay
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Go for the gusto! Upscale it and make that glide... http://dars.org/gallery/nthp21/index.htm

Wow... That's amazing!

Daddyisabar
06-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I have three flights on mine, no problems on the flights or build. All the horror stories I heard on this kit I have yet to experience. The adhesive strip worked just fine. Some quick and dirty sharpie work and it looks marvelous. The back motor mount ring needs to be installed carefully with a no shrink glue - I used Ilene’s and it shrank a bit, leaving a small crease. It is a skill level 4 kit so you need some patience and paper rolling skills. It may need a bit of trimming here and there. Part quality like all inexpensive Quest kits is not great. I tightly packed the lousy Quest chutes in front of higher end rocket guys and they were appalled at my bad technique, but with a little talc one has always managed to open and the other provides enough drag to bring her down with out harm.

stantonjtroy
06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I routinely put mine up on C6's and have yet to expierence any problems. Additionally I worked in just enough lift/drop on the trailing edge of the wings that I get 2 or 3 nice slow rolls on the way up. Flight path is straight as an arrow. I did, like others, dump the 2 chutes for one 18". Thinking I might do a HP 3X or 4X upscale. It is a good looking bird. FWIW

jeffyjeep
06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
It's been a while since I've built one, but I've buit and flown all of the Quest aeroshroud-based rockets. Surprisingly, the finless, heavily nose-weighted Delta Clipper flew the best, the HL-20 the worst. I no longer have a photo of the last HL-20 I built and had devoured by the R.E.T. in my front yard.

Also surprisingly (to me anyway) is the fact that the relatively easy to build M2Q2 is one of the hardest to finish--because ANY flaw or bad glueing job is magnified many times by the (near) chrome aeroshroud. On the M2Q2 I enrobed the fins with Ultratrim adhesive film. Yes, I wish I'd sanded them first! Aleene's Super Tacky was used on the aeroshrouds and fillets of all of these.

Hence:

AcroRay
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice. I want to get one of those Delta Clippers and build it. Quest's scale-like rockets are fun, pretty builds.

Daddyisabar
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Flew the Clipper this weekend on a C6-3 in a bit of wind. It just spun a bit in the wind but straight up and both of the high quality Quest chutes deployed just fine (with lots of talc and much crinkeling.) Both the nose and body floated down in tandem and landed together not far from the pad. I just had to say that "fins on model rockets are over rated, who needs 'em, I don't, I fly Quest aeroshrouds." There is a photo on the COSROCS.org webpage in the photo section.

Like the Croc hunter used to say:"Danger - Danger - Danger" Then it was time to pull out the 3 engine cluster SR-71 for another great flight, and after that it was the Interceptor E on an E9-4 and short rod with the wind picking up again. Small and Dangerous rockets, not safe fer man nor beast! I don't care what the ROCSIM say. . . it's getting noontime and I wanna go home.