PDA

View Full Version : Finished the Saturn V....

Swillie
06-04-2012, 10:55 PM
By far the most difficult rocket to date for me. First time I saw this rocket was in the mid 1970's in my Dads 1968 Estes catalogue. 35+ years later I am living the dream :) Built this completely stock except for the E engine hook for the new E12-4's. Also the tower broke just handling it, I managed to fix it but I don't think it would survive a powered flight so I ordered the Moldin' Oldies capsule which I will use when I fly it. Used flat paint and matte clear finish, decals went on with no problems. Once I test the new E12's and get a calm day I wil try and take a video of this one. A few grainy pics, I need to get a real camera.

Leo
06-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Very nice. You can be proud http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

stefanj
06-05-2012, 12:15 AM
That came out just fine.

I have an Estes and an Apogee Saturn V still in their boxes. I'm not sure where I'd put them once I'd built them!

Swillie
06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Tough build, wish I could have a do over on a few things but still very rewarding as it comes together.

Leo, of all the rockets out there it's weird that your avatar is my next project. Just went looking for and dowloaded the mini shuttle plans from Jimz and cleaned up the decal file for printing. I built one when I was young, one of my first rockets. Flew it many times, but it was the first and last rocket I ever flew at night. It was in my backyard, I remember hearing it land somewhere nearby. Looked and looked the next morning but never found it. I remember the pictures didn't show where the little round decal with the dot in the middle went. I don't remember where I ended up putting it, if only we had the internet back then.

Leo
06-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Leo, of all the rockets out there it's weird that your avatar is my next project. Just went looking for and dowloaded the mini shuttle plans from Jimz and cleaned up the decal file for printing. I built one when I was young, one of my first rockets. Flew it many times, but it was the first and last rocket I ever flew at night. It was in my backyard, I remember hearing it land somewhere nearby. Looked and looked the next morning but never found it. I remember the pictures didn't show where the little round decal with the dot in the middle went. I don't remember where I ended up putting it, if only we had the internet back then.
The door hatch ?

Looking forward to a new thread when you start to build the mini shuttle :)

Randy
06-05-2012, 06:56 AM
EXCELLENT!

Now, get another one and clutser it. :D

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

foamy
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Very nice build and a good looking rocket. I've never had the itch to build one, but this has me thinking about Semroc's 1B. Perhaps when the kit pile goes down significantly.

Looking forward to your flight pics.

Kimble29
06-05-2012, 01:00 PM
AWESOME! Great job man that came out beautiful! I have one in the box and I'm hoping to get to it this winter. I hope it comes out half as nice as yours. Well done!

tbzep
06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
That came out just fine.

I have an Estes and an Apogee Saturn V still in their boxes. I'm not sure where I'd put them once I'd built them!
Go ahead and build them. I have room right over here on my shelf. :D

dyaugo
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
You can a lot of pride in that build. Is that the new ESTES Saturn V?

Swillie
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes it is the recent version, #2157.

dyaugo
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Very impressive :)