PDA

View Full Version : Omega

Sheryl@Semroc
07-15-2012, 05:42 AM
The Omega (KV-64) (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-64) is now online.

kurth
07-15-2012, 06:48 AM
I noticed it on your site before seeing this, and placed an order. Thanks!!! this is going to be one neat rocket to fly.

gpoehlein
07-15-2012, 06:59 AM
You know what would be a really cool after market item for this? If someone (not me - I have neither the talent to make the forms nor the equipment to do it) could make a vacform shell of the Cineroc. You would make a left and right half, find a small mirror and lens for the aperture, and mount a gum camera inside - that last part would be left up to the builder since it would have to match up with the camera.

Anyone up for the challenge? :p ;)

Greg

Doug Sams
07-15-2012, 08:59 AM
You know what would be a really cool after market item for this? If someone (not me - I have neither the talent to make the forms nor the equipment to do it) could make a vacform shell of the Cineroc. You would make a left and right half, find a small mirror and lens for the aperture, and mount a gum camera inside - that last part would be left up to the builder since it would have to match up with the camera.

Anyone up for the challenge? :p ;) Hi, Greg,

To be clear, according to the instructions on the Semroc site, this kit comes with the Cineroc shaped payload section. All that's needed to do what you suggest is to add a hole, then mount a mirror and gum cam. (In fact, I have one of these Semroc faux Cinerocs, but have yet to fly it :o)

So getting some aerial video from this kit is certainly a reasonable mod.

I agree that having a molded plastic unit would be cool. But keep in mind, us Yorfers are all about making do with paper, balsa and FnF. That's all we need for a pretty danged good facsimile :)

http://www.doug79.com/omegad/cin-closeup1p.jpg
(In my case, rather than use a mirror, I opted to mount the camera horizontally.)

Doug

tbzep
07-15-2012, 09:20 AM
And I opted to modify my camera.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Cineroc/DSC_0006.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Cineroc/DSC_0001.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Cineroc/Dsc_0005.jpg

Doug Sams
07-15-2012, 09:26 AM
And I opted to modify my camera. (Snip pics)I remember that write-up.

Kudos to you for such a delicate mod! I consider myself quite the craftsman - and I'm an electrical engineer to boot - but if I tried that mod, I'm pretty sure I'd break the camera in the process :o:eek:

Doug

jetlag
07-15-2012, 09:30 AM
TB might do it for you...for a price! :)

Doug Sams
07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
TB might do it for you...for a price! :)Oh, now you've thrown down the gauntlet!

;)

Doug

jetlag
07-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Oh, now you've thrown down the gauntlet!

;)

Doug

...Maybe for a guitar pic signed by the greatest, Jimmy Page?! :D

Allen

UCBadger
07-15-2012, 11:12 AM
And I opted to modify my camera.

I remember that write-up.

Is there a link (or other reference) that can be shared?

Doug Sams
07-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Is there a link (or other reference) that can be shared?Here's Tim's write-up:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=6443&highlight=cineroc

Doug

Robobud
07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I have been watching this one for a long time! Took the opportunity to order a starlight and a sprite as well!

Right Wing Wacko
07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
...Maybe for a guitar pic signed by the greatest, Jimmy Page?! :D

Allen

I don't have the original, but how about a Retro-Repro model of that Pic?

kurth
07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
My omega arrived today. I got Production #8 :D

tbzep
07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
A '58 or '59 model Les Paul with a nice flame top and shaved neck will do just fine. :D

Right Wing Wacko
09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Put my Omega up in the air last weekend at the Olympic Peninsula 4-H Pasture Blasture event. It received oooh's and ahh's from a number of attendees.

I made two modifications to the stock bird. I installed a Semroc ejection baffle, as I put one in pretty much every rocket I build anymore. I also replaced the plastic chute with a 15" Florescent Orange Nylon chute.

I used a D12-0 Booster with E9-6 in the sustainer. It flew high and true, weather ****ing to the east a bit due to the winds at the time of launch. The booster was recovered a short distance from the launch pad, but I had a long walk of several hundred yards to recover the rocket. It was finally found in a patch of scrub brush. The added florescent orange chute was the only thing that made it visable.

Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.

tbzep
09-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.

Friction fit your replacement pretty tight with a little masking tape on the shoulder. Get some yellow electrical tape to make it look more like the original Cineroc catalog shots and add more more security. Split the tape down the middle by laying it on a clean piece of glass or other smooth surface.

Doug Sams
09-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Friction fit your replacement pretty tight with a little masking tape on the shoulder. Get some yellow electrical tape to make it look more like the original Cineroc catalog shots and add more more security. Split the tape down the middle by laying it on a clean piece of glass or other smooth surface.In this case, with tape inside and out, I think Tim's got it covered.

But, generally speaking, with nosecones on payload sections, I like to put a string on the nosecone (using a screw eye and maybe a snap swivel) and anchor the other end in the payload section. That way, even if the nosecone comes off, perhaps due to a hard ejection, it will still be retained on the rocket.

I actually got a small zipper on the payload section of my L1 flight using this technique, but it wasn't enough to DQ the flight. However, losing the NC would have!

Doug

Right Wing Wacko
09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes, I'll probably put a eyelet on the replacement a attach it so it doesn't get away again :)

However that doesn't save the payload. This time all I lost was a 1oz fishing weight and some dog barf... next time... I'm glad it was way out over the field instead of over the attendee's... one oz of Lead falling 800-1000 feet could hurt! The tape on the outside sounds like a good idea.

I swear the I thought it was on pretty tight, but I think the initeria on that fishing weight must have jarred it loose, even though it was packed fairly tite with the cellulose.

johnnwwa
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Put my Omega up in the air last weekend at the Olympic Peninsula 4-H Pasture Blasture event. It received oooh's and ahh's from a number of attendees.

I made two modifications to the stock bird. I installed a Semroc ejection baffle, as I put one in pretty much every rocket I build anymore. I also replaced the plastic chute with a 15" Florescent Orange Nylon chute.

I used a D12-0 Booster with E9-6 in the sustainer. It flew high and true, weather ****ing to the east a bit due to the winds at the time of launch. The booster was recovered a short distance from the launch pad, but I had a long walk of several hundred yards to recover the rocket. It was finally found in a patch of scrub brush. The added florescent orange chute was the only thing that made it visable.

I saw your Omega flight, sure put a smile on my face. Sorry about the NC.
make sure you come over next year , would love to see the Omega again.

BTW at Pasture Blaster we recorded 350 flights w/ 130 people in attendance and also 3 NAR L1 cert flights. Congrats to BEC Nice Flight!!!!