PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Saturn 1B

Carl@Semroc
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Keep watching this space!

Saturn 1B box (http://www.semroc.com/photos/saturn1b-box.jpg)
Saturn 1B box (http://www.semroc.com/photos/saturn1b-box2.jpg)
Saturn 1B (http://www.semroc.com/photos/Saturn%201B-1.tif)
Little Joe II (http://www.semroc.com/photos/little%20joe%20ii-1.tif)

Reserved kits that are ordered will be held until we get back from iHobby on Tuesday October 24 (so we can eliminate the kits that were reserved and not taken so you get the lowest possible number). Kits that do not have production numbers will be shipped at noon October 17.

Eagle3
10-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Watch this space!

Did you know that the Saturn 1B has 18 tubes?

Do tell. ;)

*stares at thread*

ghrocketman
10-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I smell something VERY GOOD coming VERY SOON !

msm0202
10-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Watch this space!

Carl,
I think you're about to make a lot of people happy! (And they can also watch for the What's Hot space in the new issue of LAUNCH, which is at the printer now. ) Thanks!!!
But first, I'll be watching this space, and I suspect there are a lot of people who just might want to attend iHobby after this. :)
Mark

Eagle3
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
If you do a search on Semroc.com for 'kit' you can see some "Coming Soon" items. :)

*goes back to staring at this thread*

sandman
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
My Paypal is all charged up and waiting! :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
10-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Carl,
You missed one tube !
If you count the BT-3 in the capsule kit it has 19 !

hawkshobby
10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm sitting here waiting for the postman!! :D :D :D

Let me know when to send funds.

Mark

Carl@Semroc
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Carl,
You missed one tube !
If you count the BT-3 in the capsule kit it has 19 !OK...
Then if I count the JT-70D, CR-9115, LL-330, (2) LL-180, (3) HTC-9, it brings the total tubes to 27!

NOW if I missed any tubes, Sheryl wants to know quick!

stefanj
10-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm more interested in the fins.

I have a 1974 vintage Estes Saturn Ib that needs fins, and I loathe the thought of having to recreate the built-up ones.

If Carl's design is compatible . . .

dwmzmm
10-09-2006, 11:22 PM

I have a 1974 vintage Estes Saturn Ib that needs fins, and I loathe the thought of having to recreate the built-up ones.

If Carl's design is compatible . . .

The built-up fin design might be better for keeping the weight of the tail section down. Have
you read about Drew's 1/100 Saturn 1-B flight from this past weekend (thread in The Rocketry Forum)? I think he used solid resin type fins and, even with added noseweight,
has some problems with his model pinwheeling shortly after launch. You may recall that
Centuri's Saturn 1-B used hollowed vacuformed plastic fins...

Carl@Semroc
10-10-2006, 02:41 AM

If Carl's design is compatible . . .It is a faithful recreation of the original, except the ribs are laser-cut and fit with much less sanding. The exterior is the same high gloss .010" cover stock that is used on the shrouds of the Mars Lander and Point. They do go together much easier than I thought they would. We also supply eight laser-cut 1/8" light balsa fins for those that don't want to build the paper and balsa rib fins.

It has been a battle to avoid changing anything that would take away from the positive experience of recreating the Gene Street et al interpretation of the Saturn 1B. If one desires to make a true scale of the SA-207 Saturn 1B, there are many better ways of doing it and this kit is at best a starting point. If you want to relive the path taken after (allegedly) Gene Street grabbed a handful of BT-50's and asked if they could be the starting point for a Saturn 1B, this should be a fun kit. Some of the "mistakes" are easy to "fix" but they are left in as a tribute to Gene Street. Vern said Gene passed away about five years ago. I had hoped to meet him and tell him how much I admired his work as Chief Illustrator at Estes. His drawings in the early days still provide inspiration to me about how model rockets are supposed to be drawn.

I asked Vern if it was true that the K-29 Saturn 1B was designed by Gene. Vern said it was a team effort, but Gene "had a mightly big hand in it!" Gene Street is another model rocket pioneer that I would like to be remembered.

stefanj
10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
It is a faithful recreation of the original, except the ribs are laser-cut and fit with much less sanding..

Ahhh, perfect! It's the cutting and fitting that had me skeered.

With luck I'll fly my Saturn next summer . . . 33 1/2 years after I bought it!

gilatrout
10-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Watch this space!

Anyone spotted this in the wild yet? http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KS-1

Leo
10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
The Saturn 1B is my all time fav real life rocket.

I can't wait to get my hands on a kit and if the quality is anything like the Mars Lander then I'm in 7th heaven :)

barone
10-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Ah......now that's what I've been saving my gift certificate for :)

Don
NAR 53455

wickball
10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Carl, I, like everyone else here, am looking forward to building this kit. I thrive on kits like this,
like your Mars Lander, something other than 3 fins and a nosecone.

wick

Bob H
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Ah......now that's what I've been saving my gift certificate for :)

Don
NAR 53455
I *was* saving mine for the Saturn 1B and the Little Joe II but I got tempted by some other kits while I was waiting and now it's all spent.

Guess I'll have to shell out real money when they are available. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
10-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I planned on saving my Semroc gift certs for when the Saturn 1B and LJII came out but I spent them on Hustler, Aero Dart, Taurus, Explorer, and Lil' Hustler kits !
I'll have to shell out real cash too !

Barry in IN
10-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Great. The very week I order a 1B from elsewhere, this happens.
Oh well.

So lemmesee, I wonder how many dollars worth of stuff will I have to order to see "Saturn 1B" pop up as a choice in the free gift spot of the Semroc online order form?

Bruce Temple
10-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Stuck in Chicago, so guess I'll go to the I Hobby Show. How bout bringing me a low number 1B????? Humm.......could be in the right place at the right time for once.....Heh Heh.

Cheers, Bruce
FSA/TWP

Ltvscout
10-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Stuck in Chicago, so guess I'll go to the I Hobby Show. How bout bringing me a low number 1B????? Humm.......could be in the right place at the right time for once.....Heh Heh.
All of them up through #54 are spoken for already.

Ltvscout
10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I couldn't wait for Carl to break the news. ;)

You can now order the 1/70th Little Joe II from here:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KS-3

and the 1/70th Saturn 1B from here:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KS-1

barone
10-16-2006, 07:55 PM

Yep...them thar links work really well.....My order is in :)

Don
NAR 53455

Bob H
10-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I just ordered a Saturn 1-B and Little Joe II.

I can't wait! :D

SEL
10-16-2006, 10:09 PM

Done.

Sean

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
All of them up through #54 are spoken for already.

That's fine. I won't feel guilty about building them.

Bruce Temple
10-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks Scott, forgot about the sign up list action.

Cheers, Bruce

ghrocketman
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Woooooooo Hooooooooo and Yeeeeeeee Hawwwwww !!!!!

I just ordered mine !

Initiator001
10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I just ordered my Saturn 1B and Little Joe II. :)

Bob

tbzep
10-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Aaaarggghhhh! The Semroc site was up and running while ago, but now that I'm ready to order, it's down! I know it will be back up before long, but my nickels are burning holes in my pocket!

Bob Thomas
10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Too much traffic I guess. That 1B with my name on it is waiting for a simple click.

tbzep
10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Finally got through while ago. I ordered the Saturn 1B, Little Joe II, and Taurus. Boy will my wife be mad! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I went with a Little Joe and a Point. I might ask for the 1B for Christmas. Low numbers would be a waste for me anymore. I've decided to be a builder, not a collector.

Leo
10-18-2006, 06:00 AM
I ordered 2 Saturns and can't wait :)

s1lence
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Wow I just looked at those kits, those are sweet. I may have to get myself one of those 1b's.

sandman
10-18-2006, 11:03 AM
I hope everyone read the fine print!

If you are spoiled by SEMROC's lightning fast service be patient!

"The Semroc Saturn 1B and Semroc Little Joe II will be announced at the iHobbyExpo and in Launch Magazine this week. We will ship pre-announcement orders until noon October 17. If you have previously reserved either of these kits, you can order the special code at Saturn 1B and Little Joe II and get an early production number in the order you reserved the kit. None of the early numbered kits will be shipped until Tuesday October 24 when we have culled out the drops from the reserved list. "

If you ordered by noon yesterday yours will be shipped, otherwise you may have to wait a bit.

JRThro
10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Finally got through while ago. I ordered the Saturn 1B, Little Joe II, and Taurus. Boy will my wife be mad! :D
Mine would be too!

Plus, I don't have the money right now.
;)

SEL
10-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I hope everyone read the fine print!

If you are spoiled by SEMROC's lightning fast service be patient!

"The Semroc Saturn 1B and Semroc Little Joe II will be announced at the iHobbyExpo and in Launch Magazine this week. We will ship pre-announcement orders until noon October 17. If you have previously reserved either of these kits, you can order the special code at Saturn 1B and Little Joe II and get an early production number in the order you reserved the kit. None of the early numbered kits will be shipped until Tuesday October 24 when we have culled out the drops from the reserved list. "

If you ordered by noon yesterday yours will be shipped, otherwise you may have to wait a bit.

Saw that - no biggie. I've got a partially built scratch 1/70 1B, parts for 6 more and a partially built Estes 1/100 1B sitting on the shelf gathering dust. I can wait a week to add 2 more to the pile :o

Sean

sandman
10-21-2006, 10:37 PM
I was late getting in my Saturn 1B and LJII order so I won't get my kits for another week.

I thought I'd get a head start by diving into the Apollo Capsule kits so I have one ready for my Saturn 1B and Little Joe II and...well one other project I'm working on that needs an Apollo capsule.

Well, let me tell you...what a PITA the tower is to build!

I'm not faulting SEMROC, I know it's the "original" design but WOW is it hard to get those tiny pieces of wood cut and lined up! :eek:

And I have three to make! :(

It took me all day to do one!

Would anybody notice if I used an Apogee Apollo capsule??? :o

kurtschachner
10-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Would anybody notice if I used an Apogee Apollo capsule??? :o

I have built both (two of the Apogee version) and I also much prefer the Apogee capsule. It looks a lot better too.

On the other hand, the Estes version looks more hand-built and that lends something to that version too.

dwmzmm
10-21-2006, 11:02 PM
The Estes original Mercury Redstone kit's LES was also pretty difficult to build (heck, I did it
back in 1970 when I was just 14 years old!). I recall really taking my time, using tweezers
and wax paper to get the tower struts lined up (and straight pins to hold them in place while
the white glue dries). Admittedly, this was my second attempt to build the MR; my first
attempt a few months after I had started in the hobby on 1969 ended in disaster (was unaware what was in store; Estes didn't use the "Skill Level" ratings in their catalogs yet).
I simply used the Redstone section of that first kit to build a clone of a Jupiter - C...

Rocketflyer
10-24-2006, 08:23 AM
I smell something VERY GOOD coming VERY SOON !

I sure hope it's the smell of BP or APCP. The only thing that beats that is steak or fresh donuts!

Jack

sandman
10-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I just got back from my local hobby shop with a bunch of Evergreen Plastic dowels.

The closest I could find was 0.625", 0.047" and 0.035".

Since I'm making 3 or 4 of them I figured I could experiment.

P.S. While I was posting this I was notified that my Saturn 1B's and LJ II's have been shipped.

CPMcGraw
10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I sure hope it's the smell of BP or APCP. The only thing that beats that is steak or fresh donuts!

Jack

...And only then if the donuts are from Krispy Kreme!...

sandman
10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I have to make 3 capsules at least!

So this is what I've made.

A wood tower from the kit parts.

A plastic tower using the same pattern from the SEMROC kit out of Evergreen platic rod...looks better I think but...

I still like the wood.

The plastic is a little easier to make 'cause you don't have to sand down the parts. Notice the "ring" not hard to make with the plastic.

Just stuff it inside the BT-3 until it dries. :rolleyes:

The center capsule is a pad abort model (PA-2) to be outfitted with 4 Micro Maxx motors...maybe. :D

Oh, and an Apogee capsule shown just for fun.

Gus
10-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Sandman,

Have you figured out any kind of a jig to hold the upper and lower "V-struts"?

Can't imagine how you're supposed to align those to the ring.

sandman
10-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Sandman,

Have you figured out any kind of a jig to hold the upper and lower "V-struts"?

Can't imagine how you're supposed to align those to the ring.

That'll be my next trick. :confused:

barone
10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Guess what came in the mail today? :rolleyes:

Leo
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Guess what came in the mail today? :rolleyes:

You know that your comment is worthless without pictures, don't you!? :rolleyes:

:D

barone
10-26-2006, 12:54 PM
You know that your comment is worthless without pictures, don't you!? :rolleyes:

:D
And take away the surprize? ;)

Ltvscout
10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
And take away the surprize? ;)
Got my 1B and LJ II in the mail today as well. I got #15 for the 1B and #9 on the LJ II. I'm currently in talks with Kurt Schachner about swapping our kits. I'm a collector and he's a builder. He has #9 for the 1B and #6 for the LJ II.

sandman
10-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Got mine today too! :D

tbzep
10-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Your rockets do not exist without pics!

Mine do exist, however. WooHoo!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/SemrocOrder2.jpg

barone
10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Christmas came early for everyone it appears. Thank You Santa Carl!

tbzep
10-26-2006, 06:02 PM
I know it isn't recommended on the Semroc box, but out of curiosity................

I'd love to be able to fly this as a cluster flight on a very small field for a demonstration and have it land in a safe place. B6-2's or B6-4's might give it the kind of pinpoint accuracy I'd need.

(Yes, I know these are published figures, but actual tested numbers are lower).

B6-2 max thrust 13.3N and total impulse of 5 N-sec.

Four would get me max of 53.2N, and total impulse of 20 N-sec.

A D12-3 is 28.5N max and total impulse of 20N-sec.

More kick than a D12-3...but same total impulse. Four second delays might be better, especially since Estes delays are notoriously shorter than advertised. Nah...not enough difference in altitude, and the D12-3 would give a slower more majestic liftoff.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should go with two B6-4's and two A8-5's. Let's see if that would get me the lower altitude flight. If so, it might be worth the harder kick off the pad. (B4-4's have the same max thrust, but tail off really quick, so I don't know how much they would affect the kick off the pad)

We get the same 53.2N max thrust but with 15 N-sec. total impulse. That might work with the shorter than four second B6-4 delay. Max altitude would most likely be somewhere near 150 feet, which is about what the Centuri Saturn V hits on a D12-3 with all that heavy plastic corrigated wrapping (just eyeballing it...I don't have RocSim).

Heck, with the millisecond delay that the A8-3 has, it's possible that it might fly and survive on four of them, assuming I could get the chute to open almost instantly! A8-3 max thrust would also be 53.2N, but total impulse would only be 10 N-sec, or half the D12-3. (No, I will never try four A8-3's!)

Woah! I've been rambling and I don't even drink anymore. :rolleyes:

Initiator001
10-26-2006, 07:58 PM
My Saturn 1B arrived today, also. It is #54.

It came with a Little Joe II (#39) and a Lil' Ivan.

Bob

tbzep
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
I saved my old Centuri Saturn V and Saturn 1B boxes and hung them on my wall when I was a kid. I still have the boxes. I think I may open the Semroc Saturn 1B box from the back side so I can save it also. :)

BTW, the Semroc 1/70 box sure seems tiny for such a large rocket! :p

Chris_Timm
10-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I ordered 2 of the 1b's and 2 of the LJ's.
They should arrive Friday.
But I forgot all about the FREE KIT WITH ORDER part.
D'oh!
:o

sandman
10-26-2006, 10:54 PM
I ALWAYS forget the free kits! But I do remember the NAR discount. :D

Incidentely, in spite of the meticulous packaging. Package was covered in bubble wrap then shrink wrapped, the post office managed to crush the ends of both Saturn 1B's :(

Nothing serious, but it just doesn't look "new". :mad:

Hey, Carl, I hope you haven't sold my Mars Lander on Ebay!

Gus
10-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Hmmm..... do I offer to trade Sandman my higher number, uncrushed, kit for his lower number smashed to smithereens now virtually worthless kit. It would be the kind thing to do.....

Hmmm...... decisions, decisions...

Eagle3
10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Mine arrived yesterday (Sat 1b #17 and LJII #11) along with a lot of parts for my SLS Long Tom. I was concerned at the shape of my boxes too, but everything inside was OK. I need to have a "word" with my mail lady anyways.... :mad:

sandman
10-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Hmmm..... do I offer to trade Sandman my higher number, uncrushed, kit for his lower number smashed to smithereens now virtually worthless kit. It would be the kind thing to do.....

Hmmm...... decisions, decisions...

Well, it's hardly "smashed to smithereens"...what the heck is a smithereen anyway? :confused:

The corner is a bit crumpled but I'm sure the insides are alright.

I just afraid there are so many parts inside that the box will spring open when I cut the tape. :eek:

That is an awfully small box for such a large model. Over 3' tall and 4" in diameter in a 4"x 6"x 14" box!!

I can see Carl now..."Sheryl, sit on this box while Bruce and I tape it shut." :rolleyes:

tbzep
10-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, it's hardly "smashed to smithereens"...what the heck is a smithereen anyway? :confused:

It's a guy from Jersey...playing in this band. Smithereens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smithereens) ;)

I can see Carl now..."Sheryl, sit on this box while Bruce and I tape it shut."
LOL! :D :p :D :p

duobob
10-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey Sandman was that your Mars Lander at Carls I-Hobby display?

stefanj
10-27-2006, 12:06 PM
what the heck is a smithereen anyway?

1 chunk = 4 smithereens
1 smithereen = 3 bits
1 bit = 6.8 specks

sandman
10-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey Sandman was that your Mars Lander at Carls I-Hobby display?

GAWD I hope not! :eek:

Mine was Estes unbuild in it's original box.

rraeford
10-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi all,

I got #31 of the S1b and #20 for the LJII. I have numbers 10 or below of most of the Centuri clones from Semroc and a few Estes. I wasn't paying attention when Carl started a waiting list for numbered kits and missed out.

If anyone wants to trade their lower numbered kits for mine (because you don't care about the numbers) please let me know. I also need a low numbered Taurus and The Point kit as mine have no numbers in them at all.

Thanks.

Romie Lucas

PaulK
10-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I know it isn't recommended on the Semroc box, but out of curiosity................

I'd love to be able to fly this as a cluster flight on a very small field for a demonstration and have it land in a safe place. B6-2's or B6-4's might give it the kind of pinpoint accuracy I'd need.
The Estes K29 recommended A8-3, B6-2 (first flight), B6-4, C6-3. Since this is a near clone of the K29, B6s should work just fine. I'll build mine with the cluster mount since that makes it more original, and gives more flexible motor options.

Chris_Timm
10-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I ALWAYS forget the free kits! But I do remember the NAR discount. :D

Incidentely, in spite of the meticulous packaging. Package was covered in bubble wrap then shrink wrapped, the post office managed to crush the ends of both Saturn 1B's :(

Well, I forgot the NAR discount along with the FREE KITS offer. Double D'oh!

The 2 Saturn boxes came thru reasonbly well. 1 had a small crush on one end.
The 2 Little Joes were packed in a third box which took most of the shipping/handling damage. Luckily those survived intact.

At least now I know which Saturn to open and build first!!!!

barone
10-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, I forgot the NAR discount along with the FREE KITS offer. Double D'oh!

The 2 Saturn boxes came thru reasonbly well. 1 had a small crush on one end.
The 2 Little Joes were packed in a third box which took most of the shipping/handling damage. Luckily those survived intact.

At least now I know which Saturn to open and build first!!!!

Wow.....after hearing all these horror stories about the damaged boxes, I guess I'm going to have to leave my mail carrier a good Christmas gift this year. ;) Oh, maybe I'm too early with that...I still have some packages due in...... :rolleyes:

Leo
11-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Everyone, I've just received 1 of 2 Saturn 1B kits.

Before I open any I'd like to know what production numbers I have.

Can this be done without having to open the boxes?

Eagle3
11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Mine was written on the packing slip.

Eagle3
11-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I just checked my box. The production # tag is also on the top of the box.

Leo
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Here is what mine looks like:
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/semroc_saturn_1b.jpg

Wonder if us Europeans got some kinda counterfeit version made in China :rolleyes:

Carl, any insider tips for me? ;)

rraeford
11-03-2006, 09:17 PM
My S1b production number is taped to the side of the box.

Romie

Sheryl@Semroc
11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Everyone, I've just received 1 of 2 Saturn 1B kits.

Before I open any I'd like to know what production numbers I have.

Can this be done without having to open the boxes?

If you were on the reserved list before the Saturn was released, the production number labels will be taped to the end of the box opposite the small label. These numbers are in a protective pouch. We only reserved through #65.

Sheryl

Leo
11-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Ok Sheryl, thanks for the info.

No I can finally open the box :D