PDA

View Full Version : New "old" Starter Set

Ltvscout
10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Just saw this on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/k8vr9

I've emailed the seller to get the model # off the sheet that was on the front of the box. I also asked them to check for a date on the instructions. I've never seen this one before. Anyone else ever hear of it?

CPMcGraw
10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Just saw this on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/k8vr9

I've emailed the seller to get the model # off the sheet that was on the front of the box. I also asked them to check for a date on the instructions. I've never seen this one before. Anyone else ever hear of it?

That "Star Blazer" looks like a third version of the Cougar. :cool: The range box shown in his photo is first seen in the 1990 catalogs; all previous catalogs show range boxes that have more specific writing about the model that came with them. This is a "generic" range box.

Another Estes recycling of an older name, too...

I almost made a goof by saying the Yankee "probably didn't come with it" -- clearly this was a two-kit special combo.

And isn't he going to have issues with eBay about those motors? :o

Ltvscout
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
That "Star Blazer" looks like a third version of the Cougar. :cool: The range box shown in his photo is first seen in the 1990 catalogs; all previous catalogs show range boxes that have more specific writing about the model that came with them. This is a "generic" range box.

That Yankee model probably did not come with the starter set. And isn't he going to have issues with eBay about those motors? :o
Look more closely to the cover sheet that was on the box. It says Star Blazer, and underneath that it says Plus One. Look at the bottom left of the sheet. There you'll see a picture of a Yankee and it says a Two Rocket Set.

Luckily he makes no mention of the motors in the description that I could see. ;)

CPMcGraw
10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Look more closely to the cover sheet that was on the box. It says Star Blazer, and underneath that it says Plus One. Look at the bottom left of the sheet. There you'll see a picture of a Yankee and it says a Two Rocket Set.

Luckily he makes no mention of the motors in the description that I could see. ;)

My oopsie. I had to edit myself right after hitting the Stupid button...:o

Ltvscout
10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
My oopsie. I had to edit myself right after hitting the Stupid button...:o
She just got back to me. The kit # is 1444, something to add to the Estes Starter Kit List. But, she couldn't find a date on anything in the box.

CPMcGraw
10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
She just got back to me. The kit # is 1444, something to add to the Estes Starter Kit List. But, she couldn't find a date on anything in the box.

I'll update the list and shoot a copy to you...

Ltvscout
10-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll update the list and shoot a copy to you...
Thanks. I just updated the pdf list but will wait for your expanded version and post both at the same time.

CPMcGraw
10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
...The kit # is 1444 ...

Scott,

Looking through the catalogs, the Porta-Pad II dates the set as no earlier than 1989. By 1993 the "official" Electron Beam controller is yellow with black zebra safety stripes, although the blue ones can still be found today. 1992 shows two "generic" range box sets; one for the Meteor set and one for the Alpha III set. All of these "generic" sets disappear by 1993, replaced with full-color photo boxes. Another clue is the styling of the Yankee. This was the "old" style kit; the splash-overspray styling with peel-n-cuss decals appeared in 1993. My suspicion is the set was packed in 1990 and shipped for either that year, or at the most into 1991. This is what I'm going to put in the Kit List, both in the Years' columns and as a pop-up comment.

CPMcGraw
10-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks. I just updated the pdf list but will wait for your expanded version and post both at the same time.

Check my upload FTP area in the "Other Plans" folder...

Ltvscout
10-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Check my upload FTP area in the "Other Plans" folder...
Got it and the updates are now online. Thanks!

JRThro
10-11-2006, 06:57 AM

I've bought a starter set or two on eBay that came with motors, no problem at all.

dwmzmm
10-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I've checked that link in the first post in this thread; they must have taken the starter set
off...