PDA

View Full Version : Fin Bevel Expert Needed

Bob Thomas
10-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm in a pickle trying to create a 3 bevel fin and need some ideas. I've attached a fin shape for a new project. I originally cut the fin from 3/32 with the inner (fat) part cut from 1/16 stock. The plan was to glue the 1/16 on each side and fill the gap with wood filler creating the bevel, then laminate with paper but its sloppy. I had previously tried to sand down thicker stock but I couldn't repeat the fin dimensions accurately. Have any of you tried this or can you accomplish this bevel an easier way? How do you make the redstone fin bevels? I tried the sander and made a lot of dust and uneven fins. I ended up using ailerons glued on the fin leading edge, poorly scaled, and way too heavy for my current project. All ideas are welcome.

barone
10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm in a pickle trying to create a 3 bevel fin and need some ideas. I've attached a fin shape for a new project. I originally cut the fin from 3/32 with the inner (fat) part cut from 1/16 stock. The plan was to glue the 1/16 on each side and fill the gap with wood filler creating the bevel, then laminate with paper but its sloppy. I had previously tried to sand down thicker stock but I couldn't repeat the fin dimensions accurately. Have any of you tried this or can you accomplish this bevel an easier way? How do you make the redstone fin bevels? I tried the sander and made a lot of dust and uneven fins. I ended up using ailerons glued on the fin leading edge, poorly scaled, and way too heavy for my current project. All ideas are welcome.

Bob,

I haven't tried this but I think I read it somewhere or else I wouldn't be able to relay this to you...... :confused:

Make a jig by attaching two pieces of wood together in the angle of the desired bevel. Glue your sand paper to the wood and use like a sanding block. Consistent sanding (i.e. the same pressure and number of strokes) should result in the same bevel for all fins. I've also heard that you can use emery boards as well (attached to your jig). Hope this helps and good luck.

Don
NAR 53455

dtomko
10-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Making a jig could work; the QModeling WAC Corporal includes one to make those 3-sided bevels. For my clone of the Merc. Redstone, I followed the old Centuri/Estes instructions and measured down from the fin edge and drew a line in pencil. Then I used sandpaper around a small wood block to do the bevel. The old version of the kit had fins made by laminating two pieces of balsa together. You could easily see the center of the bevel at the leading edge where the two sides met. Sanding was a bit tedious, but looks good in the end.

Drew