PDA

View Full Version : Pnc-55cb

Bob Thomas
10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Have you ever started and finished redrawing a decal only to realize that the hours are wasted if you can't find the cone? That's what I did Saturday, just wanted to clean up a few edges, ended up redrawing the whole darn thing to near perfection. Now all I need is a PNC-55CB. Man, its going to be tough fabricating this one for my Rigel3 project. I know its an odd one, and it was never one of my favorites, but it is unique. If you have one laying around, could someone please give me the specifications, (overall length, length to first and second transitions, transition diameters, etc.). The available drawings of the cone are good, but only one side; are the profiles symetrical? In case someone has one looking for a new home, let me know as well. No hurry, its in the que well behind some major projects.

BTW, I'll post the Decal in case its wanted, even though it might make the cone less available!!!

Revised Decal with corrected cone pie orientation.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi Bob,
I've got an Estes Odyssey and several years ago I sent it out to Mike Schmidt to see if he could make a resin copy of it. The size and oddball shape of the cone wouldn't allow for a copy to be made using his method. If anyone has come up with another way to reproduce it, I'd be willing to lend it out again. I'll try to dig it out and scan it later today. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the results.
Bill

sandman
10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't have one but if someone could make me some accurate drawings of one (or even send me one that I could return) I could copy it in wood.

Yes it is symetrical.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-23-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't have one but if someone could make me some accurate drawings of one (or even send me one that I could return) I could copy it in wood.

Yes it is symetrical.

If the interest is there, I'll send mine.

sandman
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Bill,

Hold off yet. We'll see what Bob wants to do first.

Bob Thomas
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
The pics are good enough for now. I'm no sandman, but I have the time to tinker with this until it is close enough to satisfy the urge. Sometimes I wish a forum member had the means to scan and mold every shape imaginable. Imagine all the cones of yesteryear readily available. Boxes of 20ED, 50SP, 50F, 50S, 55B & EJ. I know the technology is there. Wait, that actually would make things worse. Nobody would bother with learning the skills to replicate them. And we would be flooded with Vindicators, Interceptors, Odysseys, ad nauseum. That would not serve my interests. I'd probably never have become a BAR if it was too easy. The new spoiler for the sport would be everything is available for everyone. No thank you. But to have something that is rare lends to its perceived value. Thanks again boys for letting me remind myself why I love this hobby.

P.S. If I find a 55cb anywhere, I'll grab it up in a sec !!!!
LoL

sandman
10-23-2006, 10:39 PM
:D The pics are good enough for now. I'm no sandman, but I have the time to tinker with this until it is close enough to satisfy the urge. Sometimes I wish a forum member had the means to scan and mold every shape imaginable. Imagine all the cones of yesteryear readily available. Boxes of 20ED, 50SP, 50F, 50S, 55B & EJ. I know the technology is there. Wait, that actually would make things worse. Nobody would bother with learning the skills to replicate them. And we would be flooded with Vindicators, Interceptors, Odysseys, ad nauseum. That would not serve my interests. I'd probably never have become a BAR if it was too easy. The new spoiler for the sport would be everything is available for everyone. No thank you. But to have something that is rare lends to its perceived value. Thanks again boys for letting me remind myself why I love this hobby.

P.S. If I find a 55cb anywhere, I'll grab it up in a sec !!!!
LoL

Well, I do have one or two of most of those cones you mentioned to use as patterns.

Here is some of the stuff I've made.

Check out the BT-80 Interceptor parts I made for two customers.

I also have a few Pershing 1a cones already made but I can always make more.

Custom stuff is what I do. :D

ghrocketman
10-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I thought I had a spare, but upon checking my inventory, it appears that I no longer have the spare. :(
I only have the two that are on my original beat-up Rigel 3 and Odyssey that are awaiting restoration.
If by some chance I run across in the future, I'd be more than happy to let you have it.

Bob Thomas
10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Gordon, your work is an inspiration. The thought of a BT-80 Interceptor is scarily inticing. I have scaled it on paper to a reasonable BT-60, but that now seems passé. You are a spoiler (LoL).
AND thanks for looking GH, I'd be happy to accept any lost pnc 55cb cones that need a good home.

Bob

Eagle3
10-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Tom Beach's 4" Interceptor is piece of art and I wish he had plans available for how he built it. George Pike of Pennsylvania flew a 4" Interceptor for his L2 cert a couple of months ago at a JMRC launch. It flew on a J350 and looked like it was on rails. One of the coolest rocket flights I've ever seen.
http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/9-9-06/P9091235

sandman
10-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Now how did this thread turn into an Interceptor thread? :rolleyes:

Whatever, I figured out how to turn my CAD files into PDFs. Hey I think it's a big deal when I can figure anything out on my computer. :o

How does this look to you guys? This is the BT-55 size but I can scale it anyway you want, up or down.

Bob Thomas
10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Now that is what I'm talking about......

This is what I call artistic perfection.

Thank You for Sharing this.

Bob

sandman
10-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Bob.

I actually scaled "down" my BT-80 drawings. :rolleyes:

When it's drawn out like that it doesn't look quite so intimidating.

A simple conical shape with a straight section at the rear and a radiused tip.

Then all of the "stuff"... panels and such are the hard part but absolutely needed to complete the look.

The 4 gun ports are probably the hardest to simulate because you risk messing the whole thing up to do them.

SEMROC carries a 1.84" tube in regular (0.20" thick) and heavy walled (0.45" thick) that could make a sweet 24mm version.

Hmmmm....an SLS Interceptor! :rolleyes:

sandman
10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
OK, the picture isn't very good but I'll blame JimZ for that since he took the picture at NARAM 43.

The interceptor clone has no platic parts. The nose, tail cone and fin pods were all made of balsa.

OK...now back to this Rigel model.

Bob Thomas
10-25-2006, 01:40 AM
Please note that I revised the attached decal in post #1 to correct the orientation of the nosecone emblem (pie medallion). I inadvertently reversed the medallion closest to the sheet's center . It is now correctly a mirror image of the other decal, not just a rotation. Sorry, glad I caught it.

Anyway, for those of you who have the cone, what would you think of the details being a wrap, sleeve or layering of thin foam or other material bonded to a central elliptical balsa core. That would be a lot easier to replicate than re-carving. A paper template would allow any builder to cut the foam in whatever scale the template is drawn. Thin craft foam is available in tons of colors to contrast the exposed parts of the underlying cone.

Anybody think it might pass?

I'm going to test it on a few orphaned cone shapes. Pictures, however, will not be posted if its a total disaster.

Bob

Solomoriah
10-25-2006, 07:40 AM
I sold a Rigel nose cone a few months back... I need to contact the guy I sold it to and see if he has his reproduction done yet. He promised pictures...

Bob Thomas
10-25-2006, 09:21 PM
....A day late, and a dollar short.....

sandman
12-02-2006, 04:42 PM
One auction coming due soon!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Estes-Rigel-3-flying-Model-Rocket-Kit-NIB_W0QQitemZ320054562169QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2567QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bob Thomas
12-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Actually, there are a couple of usual suspects whenever I want a kit, it seems to be the same guys bidding also. I mean, its tough bidding against someone with a user ID like MX-774. As a huge Centuri fan also, I always wonder if it is Buzz, or Scott or Al or Steve, Andy, Drew, Carl, Craig, etc., that I'm entering into a bidding war with. That does nobody any good. I don't have it in me to crush someone else's dreams for the kit. That's why I'll never get anywhere on E-bay. Too bad there's no underground list with user IDs so we know who's looking. But that would lead to collaborative bidding, which rings of unfairness. Oh well, I'll keep looking and maybe throw in one of those 5 sec left bids.

sandman
12-02-2006, 09:21 PM
LOL! MX-774 is a member here. :D

Come on Jim, let him have this one.

Bob Thomas
12-03-2006, 12:54 AM
LOL! MX-774 is a member here. :D

Come on Jim, let him have this one.

I PM'd him trying not to sound too forlorn.

Ltvscout
12-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Actually, there are a couple of usual suspects whenever I want a kit, it seems to be the same guys bidding also. I mean, its tough bidding against someone with a user ID like MX-774. As a huge Centuri fan also, I always wonder if it is Buzz, or Scott or Al or Steve, Andy, Drew, Carl, Craig, etc., that I'm entering into a bidding war with.
Thanks for caring. ;) My eBay handle is the same one I use here, Ltvscout. I haven't bought anything on eBay for quite awhile though. As a matter of fact, I'm going to start thinning out this collection of mine. I'm literally using up over half of the basement with my rocketry collectibles and the wife has had enough.

barone
12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks for caring. ;) My eBay handle is the same one I use here, Ltvscout. I haven't bought anything on eBay for quite awhile though. As a matter of fact, I'm going to start thinning out this collection of mine. I'm literally using up over half of the basement with my rocketry collectibles and the wife has had enough.

Sounds like it's time to rent space at the local storage unit.... ;)

John Brohm
12-03-2006, 08:04 PM
... I'm going to start thinning out this collection of mine. I'm literally using up over half of the basement with my rocketry collectibles and the wife has had enough.

Scott;

I hadn't realized that our wives are related (!).

sandman
12-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Lately I have found it is a LOT more fun to sell stuff on Ebay than to buy it!

A LOT more fun! :D

BTW...I'm "sandman119" on Ebay.