http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3183

CPMcGraw
10-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh. My. God.

Just go.

Now.

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3183

WOW!

And not one broadcast or cable news feed has shown this image? Sad!

sandman
10-23-2006, 04:43 PM
THAT picture would be worth the price of a trip to the ISS.

Way way cool! :cool:

tbzep
10-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I believe that's from a jet. There's waaaaay too much detail for a normal camera from the ISS's 220 mile high orbit.

Edit: Judging from the darkness and slight curvature of the earth, and plenty of room in the plane to take pics, it's probably NASA's modified big wing Canberra bomber, the WB-57. It's a high altitude research aircraft. IIRC, there was talk that they were going to use the plane to photograph the shuttle to check for damage during ascent.

Chas Russell
10-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with tbzep. My first thought when I saw the picture was that it was from a cockpit window. NASA has been having an RB-57 (or WB-57) "Big Wing" Canberra taking high resolution photos of the shuttle launches. This may have been a crew member taking a hand-held picture while the other sensors tracked the shuttle. IIRC, Aviation Week had an impressive photo taken by the aircraft. NASA TV also had "film" from this vantage point.
Be careful of what is on the web. I have a Christmas present that is a picture of the moon supposedly taken by the Columbia crew on their ill-fated flight. It was actually from the ISS, but my wife and daughter spent big bucks on a bogus picture.
Still a neat vantage point.

Chas

tbzep
10-23-2006, 06:39 PM
LOL! I was editing my post with thoughts of the WB-57F while you were posting. :p

sandman
10-23-2006, 06:49 PM
LOL! I was editing my post with thoughts of the WB-57F while you were posting. :p

OK, now getting a ride in one of those would be cheaper than going to the ISS. :D

Ltvscout
10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
OK, now getting a ride in one of those would be cheaper than going to the ISS. :D
What, you don't have an extra 20mil laying around? :D

sandman
10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
What, you don't have an extra 20mil laying around? :D

Well, I just hate to waste it. :rolleyes: