PDA

View Full Version : Der Big Red Max

ShieldWolf
04-24-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm sitting here watching glue dry on my Der Big Red Max clone, and I'm wondering if anyone has staged one of these. Would CHAD staging work, or should I bulild a complete booster?

Well, I'm off to play with the new RockSim 8 demo and see what I can come up with.

Randal

CPMcGraw
05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm sitting here watching glue dry on my Der Big Red Max clone, and I'm wondering if anyone has staged one of these. Would CHAD staging work, or should I bulild a complete booster?

Randall,

Closest comparisons would be the Astron Omega, for gap-staging BT-60 boosters, and the later Magnum, for short-coupled BT-60 boosters...

You could probably use the original Der Red Max body, maybe even the fins (think Vigilante here...) as the booster.

...And call it Der Dopple Max... :eek:

Craig McGraw

CPMcGraw
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
You could probably use the original Der Red Max body, maybe even the fins (think Vigilante here...) as the booster.

...And call it Der Dopple Max... :eek:

Randall,

Here's a quick-n-dirty from RockSim 8 showing the idea. I cut the booster down to 6" for this version, and used the same size fins for both stages...

Craig...

ShieldWolf
05-11-2005, 06:39 PM
The first coat of primer is drying on my Der Big Red Max right now. I used a 24mm engine mount instead of the original 18mm. I haven't started on the booster yet, but I believe that I'll build it using the same fins as the sustainer.

I'm using a crunched Mean Machine kit that I picked up for next to nothing awhile back. Only one of the body tubes was straight, but I can get several boosters out of the other tubes.

I'll post pictures after the next coat of primer.

Randal