PDA

View Full Version : 1965 RDC Feather BG Plans and Photos

shockwaveriderz
10-27-2006, 02:57 PM
"In a conversion with 76 old Irv Wait in August 2005, Irv regaled me with the following story: “In 1965 I was selling G. Harry Stine’s Eaglerock BG, when Harry called me up and announced that if I wanted to continue selling this model of his, I was going to have to start paying royalties to him. Well I decided right then and there I wasn’t going to pay any royalties , so I designed and developed the Feather out of sheer necessity as it was getting close to the time when I was going to print my new RDC catalog, and I needed a glider design to sell.” Theres been no other glider since the Feather with its distinctive canted motor tube and fixed elevons, but it does boost straight and true due again to the balance of forces."

I've attached a .pdf with the plans signed by Irv Wait. I also have about 25 color photos of Mr. Wait holding 2 original Feathers along with a number of Feather photos....I will post that to the Ye old Rocketshoppe FTP server...

enjoy

terry dean
nar 16158

barone
10-27-2006, 03:13 PM
That's a rather unique design. I'm going to have to try to build one. Thanks for the plans. :)

Ltvscout
10-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I've attached a .pdf with the plans signed by Irv Wait. I also have about 25 color photos of Mr. Wait holding 2 original Feathers along with a number of Feather photos....I will post that to the Ye old Rocketshoppe FTP server...

Cool! I'll put that on YORP at my next update.

DWolman
11-20-2006, 09:28 PM
I built the Feather glider for a launch this past weekend...

it turned some heads, but I couldn't get it to fly right. I built it exactly to plans, but the offset thrust vs. the elevons was an issue.

Flights 1 and 2 were both static tests on A8-3's, as the model bound up on the launch rod - with the engine thrusting at 20 degrees to the launch rod, I would have to imagine that this was common back in the 60's. I switched to a B6-2 for flight 3, and it cleared the rod, but did a loop towards the crowd...

Anyone have any experience with this design?