PDA

View Full Version : RockSim: Newsletters from Apogee

Tau Zero
11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Every once in a while, I find myself needing to find the URL for Apogee Components' "Peak of Flight" e-newletter archive:

http://www.apogeerockets.com/education/newsletter_archive.asp

Maybe you should make this thread "sticky," Scott. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Cheers,

James Pierson
11-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I have most of the archive Newsletters downloaded myself. Very helpful indeed. JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero
11-09-2006, 10:56 PM
custom paper transitions in the RockSim v8? (http://www.rocketryforum.com/printpost.php?s=&threadid=23246&postid=260742) thread over on TRF outlines how to make RockSim 8 print out a *traditional* shroud pattern as compared to the extremely *un*helpful "profile" printout :mad: (see examples below).

Basically, the value (number) for both the "Length" and "Diameter" of both the front and rear shoulders should be "0" (zero). See the screenshot below. :D

You can find additional information on the subject in "Peak of Flight" #136, in the article "Make Your Own Transitions," which tells you how to get rid of that unsightly seam, as well as propaganda about using rubber cement instead of white glue. :eek:

And for Windows users, here's how to make "Alt + PrintScreen... take a screenshot of the currently selected window (http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/print-screen/)."

ScaleNut
12-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Is semroc producing the Saros? I could not find it on the site .
I need the cone to replace the lost one on my original model.

Ltvscout
12-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Is semroc producing the Saros? I could not find it on the site .
I need the cone to replace the lost one on my original model.
They are not. Semroc only makes balsa cones at this time. It's impossible to turn a true Saros cone in balsa since there are little finlets that stick out the side of the original plastic cone. That's something where Mike at Moldin' Oldies may be able to make a resin dupe of it if someone sends him an original to make a mold from.

Tau Zero
02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
From the "Scrounged-Up Designs (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=16707&postcount=881)" thread:OK folks this one has me stumped. [SNIP] Did I miss something? Software problems? Any help would be appreciated.It's your fins. I'm assuming that you wanted 0.09380 instead of your 0.9380 for the thickness of the fin material since these fins are almost an inch thick? [SNIP] The 3D export did look kinda cool.Mark+3,

Been here, done this. :o In other words, you're in good company.

See below.

Cheers,

JRThro
02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
From the "Scrounged-Up Designs (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=16707&postcount=881)" thread:Mark+3,

Been here, done this. :o In other words, you're in good company.

See below.

Cheers,
That's pretty cool, Jay. What is it? The non-chunky version, I mean.

Tau Zero
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
That's pretty cool, Jay. What is it? The non-chunky version, I mean.Oh, just a little something that first came out about 35 years ago :eek: :

Namely, the Centuri Vector-V (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/72cen014.html). :cool:

Cheers,

JRThro
02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Oh, just a little something that first came out about 35 years ago :eek: :

Namely, the Centuri Vector-V (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/72cen014.html). :cool:

Cheers,
Thanks, Jay, but in early 1972 I was a sophomore in high school and had no extracurricular activities at all. I think I missed that year's Centuri catalog (just like every other year's).

Tau Zero
03-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't have to ask this question if I had some calipers, but here goes anyway. :o

Okay, all you RockSim gurus ("Craig? --Look at me, buddy!" ;) :D ):

What thickness and which material (Paper, Cardboard?...) do you use to simulate lightweight cardstock for paper reducers (transitions)?

Inquiring minds *desperately* want to know. :eek:

(By which I mean "just me." :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

James Pierson
03-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I needed to know the same a while ago. I looked at some cardstock my wife was making B-day cards out of and the only info I could see was the number 110. I know it cannot be .110
so it must be .0110 which seems about right as a best guess :D .

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw
03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I needed to know the same a while ago. I looked at some cardstock my wife was making B-day cards out of and the only info I could see was the number 110. I know it cannot be .110
so it must be .0110 which seems about right as a best guess :D .

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Actually, no...:(

The weight value is the weight in pounds of a ream of 500 sheets in the basic size of a paper's grade. For example, if 500 sheets of 17x22 "bond" paper (having a basic size of 17x22 inches which can be easily cut to provide four 8.5x11 sheets or two 11x17 sheets) weighs 20 pounds, it is referred to as #20 bond paper. Different grades of paper may have different basic sizes.

That paper is called "index", and it's base size sheet is 25.5" x 30.5". So, 500 sheets of this is a ream, and it weighs 110 pounds.

Tau Zero
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
That paper is called "index", and it's base size sheet is 25.5" x 30.5". So, 500 sheets of this is a ream, and it weighs 110 pounds.Hence, its "weight" (or thickness, if you prefer) is 110 lbs. :rolleyes:

I *did* figure out that Carl's 2-ply(?) fiber rings are 1/20" (0.05") thick, which is *way* heavier than 110 lb. card stock. :D ;)

I may have to slip down to Lowe's and get that $30 dial caliper next week, after all. :o

Cheers,

DeanHFox
03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
I may have to slip down to Lowe's and get that $30 dial caliper next week, after all. :o
Jay, I just stopped at Menards a couple days ago and picked up a really nice digital caliper for just this sort of activity...only $24, and a great little tool.

Dunno if Menards is out there by you, but if so, a nice price on a great device.

BluesBoy
05-17-2008, 01:25 AM
For medium sized rockets, I make transitions out of lightweight cardstock - like a manilla folder. After gluing up and attaching to project I will fill in with wood filler. Depending on whether it needs any structural strength, after it is affixed to the project, I will sometimes cover it with .75 oz Fiberglass and Epoxy. You can do the FG lamination before assembly, too. Gooped on Kilz primer can cover any finishing sins.

For HPR, I use 1/64 ply, built over underlying stringers, then always FG/Epoxy covering.

nukemmcssret
03-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Jay, I just stopped at Menards a couple days ago and picked up a really nice digital caliper for just this sort of activity...only $24, and a great little tool.

Dunno if Menards is out there by you, but if so, a nice price on a great device.
Harbor Freight has digital calipers for around 20 bucks. They also ship. WWW,Haborfreight.com. They sell all kinds of stuff. And for the light weight thingss I do the tools last forever. Chief nukemmcssret :)