PDA

View Full Version : Estes Saturn V

barone
04-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Need help! I'm building an Estes Saturn V. The escape tower has two ridges on either side of a jettison thruster. Does anyone have an idea of where the ridges are oriented in relation to the capsule? Can't tell on drawings. My Saturn 1B instructions orient the ribs with the umbilical connection on the capsule but the Saturn V illustration doesn't show a thruster oriented there (thruster not oriented there so ridges can't be). Any help would be appreciated. This is the old kit and not the re-issue.

Sirius Rocketry
05-10-2005, 12:53 PM
The Ribs should orient to the side opposite the CM umbilical connector, with the hatch side of the capsule. The attached pic is of the Sirius Saturn V, but you can just see the umbilical "ribs" and their orientation.

Dave

barone
05-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Okay.....I finished my Saturn V today. Decided to align the ribs to the left of the capsule umbilical. Now to get the nerve up to fly it.... :( Needless to say, I've taken pictures to prove that it was in one peice at one time......

barone
06-06-2005, 11:43 PM
My completed Saturn V.........

Eagle3
06-07-2005, 06:26 AM

Very nice!

CPMcGraw
06-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Sigh...

Great paint and decal work! Really nice job.

Craig McGraw

barone
06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys......good thing about pictures.....hard to see the flaws.... :D

Future son-in-law is pushing me to launch this. Guess I'll need to search for a suitable motor. Modified for 29mm so I guess I'm off to the post office and their highly accurate scales to get some idea of empty weight and then start looking for the motor. Wanted to fly it on one of those long burning Apogee motors but their thrust curves don't support flying this one even if I hadn't installed the 29mm motor mount. Did you ever have the feeling you were about to do something you really shouldn't........ :( ?

Tweener
06-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Did you ever have the feeling you were about to do something you really shouldn't........ :( ?
Yeah, gotta love calculated risk - if it ain't a disaster it's exhilarating! ;) :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Did you ever have the feeling you were about to do something you really shouldn't........ :( ?

Sure. Wanna see the scars?