PDA

View Full Version : Model Rocketeers?

shockwaveriderz
01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
IS there anybody out there that has ANY Model Rocketeers from say 58-
67? Its my understanding that the Model Rocketeer was originally a
standalone publication( if you can call a few pages (at most) a
publication!) during this time frame, first appearing as a part of the
old American Modeler magazine in February 1967.

The Model Rocketeer appeared in AM till approximately 8/1969 when the
Model Rocketeer was incorporated into the old Model Rocketry magazine.

If possible what I would like to attempt to to gather up ALL of these
issues(stand alone issues that is) during this time frame and put them
together so we can get a good idea what was happening with the NAR in
these early years.

Any help or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

terry dean
nar 16158

Earl
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I for one would love to see at least SOME of the MR issues from this time frame. I joined the NAR in June '78 and my collection (of the various named publications since then) is complete, but I have to admit that I have never even seen a copy (PDF, etc.) of any of the 'standalone' issues from the 1960's.

Actually, it'd be a *wonderful* history project (by a group maybe?) to 'PDF' all the Model Rocketeer's, AmSpac's, Sport Rocketry's for historical purposes and for purchase (through NARTS?), especially of these older issues. It's kinda fun even now to go back through issues I have from the latter 70's and see (young) folks that I later ran into at the 13 or so LDRS's that I attended and flew at (and videotaped) over the years to see that they, like myself, stayed with rocketry well into adulthood (or returned to it some years later).

So, while I could not contribute anything material-wise to this effort, it certainly would be a great history undertaking that I hope someone can come through on.

shockwaveriderz
01-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Earl:
NARTS does have back issues of Model Rocketeer > 1972 along with AmSpam,etc for ssle.

I too, have never seen ANY of the standalone issues either. Over the past few years, by collecting old AM magazines, I have been able to see the Model Rocketeers in that time frame. The only person that I can think of that might have mostif not all of these very old Model Rocketeers pre 1967 would be G.Harry Stine., and of course G.Harry is not with us anymore. (although his widow Barbara K and his son Bill and daughters Connie and Ellie are(?)) .These are probably 1-2 page newsletters at most as thats what theyw ere in 67-69 in AM magazine, while the Model Rocketeer was expanded a great deal with its incorporation into the Model Rocketry magazine.

terry dean
nar 16158

Earl
01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Earl:
NARTS does have back issues of Model Rocketeer > 1972 along with AmSpam,etc for ssle.

I too, have never seen ANY of the standalone issues either. Over the past few years, by collecting old AM magazines, I have been able to see the Model Rocketeers in that time frame. The only person that I can think of that might have mostif not all of these very old Model Rocketeers pre 1967 would be G.Harry Stine., and of course G.Harry is not with us anymore. (although his widow Barbara K and his son Bill and daughters Connie and Ellie are(?)) .

Well, what I was specifically suggesting is that the entire collection of older mags be scanned as PDF's and available for purchase. I purchased a number of older back issues from NARTS in the late 1970's and those were very interesting to look at even then (many of the issues I bought at that time were only 6-7 years old), much less how interesting these issues would be for NAR members who joined in the 80's or 90's (or even later).

Of course, rounding up a copy of every issue (standalones and those as inserts to Model Rocketry magazine and the other magazine you mentioned) certainly would be a daunting task, but would be worth the effort in the long run if for no other reason than to document the history of the NAR.

As to sources for such, yes, I think you would probably be right that Barbara Stine or son Bill might be the only ones who could put their hands on such a collection (maybe Vern might have some of this too), but I suspect the Stine family would come the closest.

Even a 'spotty' collection of issues scanned and offered in PDF form (on CD) from NARTS might prove to be quite a money-maker for the NAR. Imagine (in the best-case scenario) that ALL issues of MR, AmSpac, and Sport Rocketry were avaiable on a (let's say) five CD set. Would you be interested in buying something like that?? I suspect MANY people would! :)

Rocketflyer
01-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Buy a set of CD's?? In a Heartbeat! I'd also would like to see the old Estes newsletters of the 60's and 70's put together. Sell them through NARTS also.

I personally believe that all of the aformentioned pubs should be in pdf form or on cd for purchase. As stated ,a good money maker for the NAR, :) or some can be put up for the legal fund in our fight against tyranny, (the BATFE).

msm0202
01-17-2007, 11:24 AM
IS there anybody out there that has ANY Model Rocketeers from say 58-
67? Its my understanding that the Model Rocketeer was originally a
standalone publication( if you can call a few pages (at most) a
publication!) during this time frame, first appearing as a part of the
old American Modeler magazine in February 1967.

Terry,
I have originals of Model Rocketeer Volume 1, No. 1 (February 1958); Volume 1, No. 2 (March 1958) and Volume 1. No.8 (September 1958). I'm attaching a cover scan of #1, which is 8 pages, including the front and back covers. When I get a chance, I'll try and scan all of them for you and for YORP.
Mark

shockwaveriderz
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Buy a set of CD's?? In a Heartbeat! I'd also would like to see the old Estes newsletters of the 60's and 70's put together. Sell them through NARTS also.

I personally believe that all of the aformentioned pubs should be in pdf form or on cd for purchase. As stated ,a good money maker for the NAR, :) or some can be put up for the legal fund in our fight against tyranny, (the BATFE).

Most of the old Estes MRN(60's) are FREE .pdf at Ye Old Rocket Shoppe.....( I am tryiong my darnest to get some V2 MRN scanned and sent to me but its like pulling teeth)
eventually ALL of the old AM mags Rocketry related artciles will also be in .pdf at Ye Old Rocketshoppe

I doubt the NAR would place all their old magazines on a cd, because once they sold a copy , th e.pdf's could be transferred to people without any payment. I assume Tom HA would be the person to enquire about this. Right now NARTS will sell you either real issues, or they will scan specific articles.

From MY historical viewpoint, I am personally only interested in documents up to maybe 1972 at the very latest.

terry dean
nar 16158

Ltvscout
01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Thank you, Mark & Terry!

shockwaveriderz
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Thank you, Mark & Terry!

I should have known that Mark had some of these :-). I have been provided with a name from the past of a person that may have a complete(!) collection of these old Model Rocketeers. I am trying to track him down now, so cross yer fingers and wish me luck.

terry dean
nar 16158

mperdue
01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Terry,
I have originals of Model Rocketeer Volume 1, No. 1 (February 1958); Volume 1, No. 2 (March 1958) and Volume 1. No.8 (September 1958). I'm attaching a cover scan of #1, which is 8 pages, including the front and back covers. When I get a chance, I'll try and scan all of them for you and for YORP.
Mark

Mark,

You have all the good stuff...
:)

Mario

msm0202
01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Mark,

You have all the good stuff...
:)

Mario

Mario,
Well... I'm still looking for that Monet or Van Gogh hidden inside a cheap frame somewhere in my attic. I can't find 'em because of all the model rocket stuff piled on top! :)
Mark

Carl@Semroc
01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Mario,
Well... I'm still looking for that Monet or Van Gogh hidden inside a cheap frame somewhere in my attic. I can't find 'em because of all the model rocket stuff piled on top! :)
MarkDidn't one of those guys design rockets for FSI?

Tau Zero
01-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Didn't one of those guys design rockets for FSI?You're thinking of Mondrian. :rolleyes: :D :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/mondrian_piet.html

http://www.ptank.com/mondrian/

Cheers,

Tau Zero
01-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Well... I'm still looking for that Monet or Van Gogh hidden inside a cheap frame somewhere in my attic.(Dear God, I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, Mark. Please forgive my horrible, awful pun.)

"Show me the MONET!" :eek:

(For the record, I have a framed print of his "Garden at Giverny" hanging in my living room. :D --My wife and I bought it on our honeymoon in Denver.)

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-18-2007, 12:39 AM
(Dear God, I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, Mark. Please forgive my horrible, awful pun.)

"Show me the MONET!" :eek:

(For the record, I have a framed print of his "Garden at Giverny" hanging in my living room. :D --My wife and I bought it on our honeymoon in Denver.)

Cheers,

How odd. I have a print of "Honeymoon In Denver" hanging in the family room. We bought it in Key West. :rolleyes: ;) :D

JRThro
01-18-2007, 10:46 AM
How odd. I have a print of "Honeymoon In Denver" hanging in the family room. We bought it in Key West. :rolleyes: ;) :D
What's even more stranger-er is that I have a print of "Night in Key West" hanging in the entryway of my summer cottage in Giverny.

In my dreams!!! (The summer cottage in Giverny, not the night in Key West, believe me.)

;) :rolleyes: :eek:

shockwaveriderz
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Folks I'm still seraching hi and low for 1972 issues of Model Rocketeer.

I believe there were only 10 issues max (Mar-Dec 1972) as the old Model Rocketry magazine ran up to jan/feb 72. NARTS hasn't had any of these issues in stock for quite some time. I used to have them back in the late 80's..... but they somehow ended up in the garbage . I know, thats sacrilage!.

If anybody has these I would love to get copies of them. If you are too lazy to scan them yourself, I would be willing to pay to and from postage and scan them myself.

please help me out if you have these.

terry dean

billspad
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Folks I'm still seraching hi and low for 1972 issues of Model Rocketeer.

I believe there were only 10 issues max (Mar-Dec 1972) as the old Model Rocketry magazine ran up to jan/feb 72. NARTS hasn't had any of these issues in stock for quite some time. I used to have them back in the late 80's..... but they somehow ended up in the grabage . I know, thats sacrilage!.

If anybody has these I would love to get copies of them. If you are too lazy to scan them yourself, I would be willing to pay to and from postage and scan them myself.

please help me out if you have these.

terry dean

I've got March 72.

ghrocketman
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
What's a GRABage ?

shockwaveriderz
05-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Today I received a package of all of the 1972 Model Rocketeers in the mail from none other than Vern estes himself. Like to give Vern a public shout out for doing that.

These old magazines provide a wealth of historical information that most of us probbaly have forgotten or didn't even know.

One thing that I learned was that at NARAM-14 held in saetle,Washington in August 1972, Estes Industries demostarted a composite G motor!. Not onlt thatm but it had a mini- engine in the top of it which supplied the ejection charge.

So rise your hand if you remmber this? I was talking to a very long time employee of Estes and he had mentioned that back in the early 70's that Estes had worked on composite motors for a while, but they never saw daylight as far as being marketed.

There's also a pretty hilarious photo of a bearded Vern Estes in a Lincolnesque black Top Hat and shaw..... I'm sure Vern would rather this photo disapper from history!! .hahahah

thanks Vern

terry dean

Royatl
05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Today I received a package of all of the 1972 Model Rocketeers in the mail from none other than Vern estes himself. Like to give Vern a public shout out for doing that.

These old magazines provide a wealth of historical information that most of us probbaly have forgotten or didn't even know.

One thing that I learned was that at NARAM-14 held in saetle,Washington in August 1972, Estes Industries demostarted a composite G motor!. Not onlt thatm but it had a mini- engine in the top of it which supplied the ejection charge.

So rise your hand if you remmber this? I was talking to a very long time employee of Estes and he had mentioned that back in the early 70's that Estes had worked on composite motors for a while, but they never saw daylight as far as being marketed.

There's also a pretty hilarious photo of a bearded Vern Estes in a Lincolnesque black Top Hat and shaw..... I'm sure Vern would rather this photo disapper from history!! .hahahah

thanks Vern

terry dean

One of the kids from my club went to NARAM 14 and when he came back that was all he talked about. Though I forgot the detail about the mini motor being used as the ejection charge.

Both Matt Steele and Bob Kaplow have in the past shown composite motors in the Enerjet style (fiberglass case-bonded with graphite closures) with labels touting "Brown-Dorffler Industries" or some-such. Don't know how they obtained them (I saw both in 1991. Matt's at NARCON in Huntsville, and Bob's at his house at a post-NARAM brunch), but I assume it was at some NARAM in the 70's. Is that about right, Matt?

dwmzmm
05-30-2008, 05:04 PM

thanks Vern

terry dean

I "had" all of the Model Rocketeers issues when it went back to the stand alone publication
following the demise of the Model Rocketry magazine. I had all the MR from then until 1982,
but they somehow got lost during my years AWOL from the hobby (1982 - 2003). I'd give
almost ANYTHING to get those missing issues back. I recall reading somewhere (not sure
if it was in one of these forums or Sport Rocketry) that a CD containing all of the NAR Model
Rocketeers, American Spacemodeling, Sport Rocketry, etc., will be forthcoming. If true, I'd
like to be one of the first in line to buy one!!

Ltvscout
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Vern!

If these aren't online, start scanning. :D

moonzero2
05-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Ninfinger only goes to Jan/Feb 1972 of the Model Rocketry magazine.

Royatl
05-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I "had" all of the Model Rocketeers issues when it went back to the stand alone publication
following the demise of the Model Rocketry magazine. I had all the MR from then until 1982,
but they somehow got lost during my years AWOL from the hobby (1982 - 2003). I'd give
almost ANYTHING to get those missing issues back. I recall reading somewhere (not sure
if it was in one of these forums or Sport Rocketry) that a CD containing all of the NAR Model
Rocketeers, American Spacemodeling, Sport Rocketry, etc., will be forthcoming. If true, I'd
like to be one of the first in line to buy one!!

In my more idealistic times ('88-'89) I lent many of my Model Rocketeers to a group of kids that I thought were very interested in rocketry. Of course, none of them (to my knowledge) did anything more with the hobby, and of course I didn't get my magazines back (or the '76 edition of the Handbook I also lent them). I got many of the issues back by buying the back stock from Nettie when she was NARTS back in '90 and '91, and I got a '76 Handbook at the NARAM 43 auction.

SEL
05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
WOW!! Looking forward to seeing these when you gave a chance to scan them....

S.

thanks Vern

terry dean

dwmzmm
05-30-2008, 09:56 PM
In my more idealistic times ('88-'89) I lent many of my Model Rocketeers to a group of kids that I thought were very interested in rocketry. Of course, none of them (to my knowledge) did anything more with the hobby, and of course I didn't get my magazines back (or the '76 edition of the Handbook I also lent them). I got many of the issues back by buying the back stock from Nettie when she was NARTS back in '90 and '91, and I got a '76 Handbook at the NARAM 43 auction.

All of my back issues were stored either in a box or filing cabinet when I was living in
Louisiana from 1979 - 1986 (before moving to the Houston area). Not only did I have those
Model Rocketeer issues, but a good bundle of superb newsletters from a number of NAR
Sections during the 1970's and early 1980's and all of my Estes, Centuri, FSI, CMR and a few
other modroc manufacturer's catalogs. So now you can see, when I said I'd do almost
ANYTHING to get those MR back, I'll also recover the other stuff listed above. (Count in
the Estes Model Rocket News, ditto Centuri's newsletters, the very famous AVI catalogs -
remember those?! So you get the picture).

Initiator001
06-01-2008, 04:19 PM
One of the kids from my club went to NARAM 14 and when he came back that was all he talked about. Though I forgot the detail about the mini motor being used as the ejection charge.

Both Matt Steele and Bob Kaplow have in the past shown composite motors in the Enerjet style (fiberglass case-bonded with graphite closures) with labels touting "Brown-Dorffler Industries" or some-such. Don't know how they obtained them (I saw both in 1991. Matt's at NARCON in Huntsville, and Bob's at his house at a post-NARAM brunch), but I assume it was at some NARAM in the 70's. Is that about right, Matt?

Well, I don't know if it's the same 'batch' as the NARAM-14 motors but I have a Mike Dorffler 'G' motor in my collection. ;)

Bob

Bob Kaplow
08-10-2008, 05:08 PM
The Brown Dorffler motor was called the Uproar, and looks to be an Enerjet clone. Same closures.