PDA

View Full Version : Retro Repro suggestions

Mark+3
01-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Please post your ideas for classic designs you'd like to see Semroc kit. The production of motors that have been unavailable should really open up the possibilities for reproductions.

Mark+3
01-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I know Semroc has concentrated on Centuri reproductions, but allow me to suggest the Estes Beta. I believe that if Semroc does not release this rocket concurrently with the 'S' series motors and 'T' boosters someone else will shortly. The kit could include the 13mm motor mounts allowing the buyer to build the early 'S' short motor version or the later 'T' motor version.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I know Semroc has concentrated on Centuri reproductions, but allow me to suggest the Estes Beta. I believe that if Semroc does not release this rocket concurrently with the 'S' series motors and 'T' boosters someone else will shortly. The kit could include the 13mm motor mounts allowing the buyer to build the early 'S' short motor version or the later 'T' motor version.

The Beta was my first rocket, and I cloned it back in 2002. When I heard that the A10-0T was going out of production I bought up all that my motor source had. Unless those come back (or SOMEONE does a 13mm booster motor,) this one might be tough to talk Carl into.

Ltvscout
01-20-2007, 02:33 PM
The Beta was my first rocket, and I cloned it back in 2002. When I heard that the A10-0T was going out of production I bought up all that my motor source had. Unless those come back (or SOMEONE does a 13mm booster motor,) this one might be tough to talk Carl into.
With the motors that Carl is talking about releasing in the future, the Beta can be re-released in it's original form, using 18mm shorty motors. My guess is you'll see 13mm booster motors from Semroc also.

Mark+3
01-20-2007, 02:40 PM

Based on the discussions in the motor request thread I'm hoping low power boosters in 13x45, 18x45, and 18x70 are very early in the production queue. Carl?

dwmzmm
01-20-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.launchpad2000.com/

The above mail order vendor carries the A10-0T's among their line of available motors. The
last time I checked, they had a good stock on hand.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-20-2007, 02:45 PM
With the motors that Carl is talking about releasing in the future, the Beta can be re-released in it's original form, using 18mm shorty motors. My guess is you'll see 13mm booster motors from Semroc also.

What a coincidence! That's exactly the SOMEONE I was thinking of. :D ;)

wilsotr
01-20-2007, 03:48 PM
The Centuri Space Shuttle has my vote.

CPMcGraw
01-20-2007, 05:21 PM

I'll chip in an extra vote for the "S" motor BETA, with "T" motor adapters. I have a semi-completed clone on the bench waiting for motors. I'd want some 1/4A and 1/2A motors, though.

CPMcGraw
01-20-2007, 08:02 PM
After thinking about the Astron BETA for a moment, making it capable of using adapters might get messy, since the "S" motor version was a "minimal-diameter" model using no coupler between the booster and sustainer. The motor casing of the sustainer stuck out about 1/4" and the booster was little more than a CHAD with fins.

Solution: Why not release this model as a "Two-Fer"?

One set of instructions, a single decal sheet with two complete sets of images, but two sets of fins, two NCs, two sustainer BTs and booster BTs, two streamers, and two launch lugs; include one thrust block for the original "S" version, and a pair of "T" mounts and a coupler for the later version.

Mark+3
01-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Anyone else interested in the Centuri Moonraker? The low power/long delay 18x70mm motors would allow flights that that remain visible. The fiber fins could be laser cut. And it has two piece maple leaf recovery for something less ordinary. I've already submitted my vote on the Semroc classics page.

foose4string
01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
The Centuri Space Shuttle has my vote.

+1 for the Century Space Shuttle.

The Beta was my first two stage rocket. It was ok, I suppose. I don't have any strong urges to build another though.

Carl@Semroc
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Unless those come back (or SOMEONE does a 13mm booster motor,) this one might be tough to talk Carl into.We MIGHT even be able to move more Firefly's since it too was designed around the Shorty's.

Carl@Semroc
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Based on the discussions in the motor request thread I'm hoping low power boosters in 13x45, 18x45, and 18x70 are very early in the production queue. Carl?The first engine machine will produce 10mm, 13mm, (15mm), and 18mm up to 2.75" long. The second machine will produce 18mm, 21mm, and 24mm up to 4.5" long. Unfortunately, 27mm and 29mm engines will have to be done on a third, much more expensive and bulkier machine.

Depending on how well the engines from the first machine sell will determine the future of the second machine. Same for the third machine.

ghrocketman
01-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I vote for the Centuri Defender.
I have cloned this one, but I think more than a few of these would sell as kits.

bsexton
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Make that +2 for the Centuri Space Shuttle (would also like to see it as an SLS kit).

dwmzmm
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Make that +2 for the Centuri Space Shuttle (would also like to see it as an SLS kit).

At least, I already got one (still in the bag, but opened) :p

RenegadeIV
01-23-2007, 12:28 PM
How about the old Mercury Redstone or Atlas? It looks like either (or both) would fit in well with the Semroc Saturn 1B.

(ps. what does SLS stand for?)

ghrocketman
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
SLS is "Semroc Large Scale"

Bob Thomas
01-25-2007, 02:15 AM
In keeping with the Retro aspect of releases, one idea might be a theme being the release year. You can release retro kits as voted popular for any specific year. Almost any kit can fit as a release and you get to decide the order of release.

As for Kits, the classics page tells the story, even if it may have had some "loading".

Deep in my subconscious, I have this desire to reproduce one full Centuri Catalog, which year - undecided but early 70's likely. I'll have to go page by page or random, and I'll probably die of old age before completion. But it is a plan!

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-25-2007, 04:45 AM
In keeping with the Retro aspect of releases, one idea might be a theme being the release year. You can release retro kits as voted popular for any specific year. Almost any kit can fit as a release and you get to decide the order of release.

As for Kits, the classics page tells the story, even if it may have had some "loading".

Deep in my subconscious, I have this desire to reproduce one full Centuri Catalog, which year - undecided but early 70's likely. I'll have to go page by page or random, and I'll probably die of old age before completion. But it is a plan!

Bob

I built and flew a page of the 1977 Estes catalog. :D And this weekend I may do another one.

barone
01-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I built and flew a page of the 1977 Estes catalog. :D And this weekend I may do another one.

Impressive BIll! I'm working on the same Estes page (with the Cherokee D). Got the Cherokee and Demon complete, the Renegade constructed (not detailed) and all the parts for the Sky Raider. We're going to have to get together some time and launch all of them. :)

EchoVictor
01-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Hmmm, let's see (looking at own avatar...)

Centuri Satellite Killer
Centuri Satellite Killer
Centuri Satellite Killer
Centuri Satellite Killer
Centuri Satellite Killer

and, ummmm....

Centuri Satellite Killer

I think you get the idea!

Later,
Eric

chanstevens
01-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Paper airplanes don't count...

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Paper airplanes don't count...

I know where you live.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Impressive BIll! I'm working on the same Estes page (with the Cherokee D). Got the Cherokee and Demon complete, the Renegade constructed (not detailed) and all the parts for the Sky Raider. We're going to have to get together some time and launch all of them. :)

If I can ever get around the the Pegasus, I'll also have the whole Mini-Brutes page ready. :cool:

ghrocketman
01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I built an original Pegasus last year, which was the second one I built.
The first I built back in '82 or '83.
Never understood how THAT could be a Skill Level 2, but the 4FNC stubby Astron Goblin was a Skill Level 3; and no, I don't buy that because it took a "D" it should be a "3" as the BUILD is actually easier than a Skill level 2 Astron Demon with a payload bay and the same "D" engine.

rraeford
02-03-2007, 08:30 PM
One more vote for the Centuri Space Shuttle. +1 for the Centuri Defender as well. I'd like to see the Centuri Long Tom, Quasar and Sky Lab too.

rraeford

rraeford
02-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh and yes, I'd like to see the 20" and 24" Centuri-like or (pre-Damon) Estes-like checkerboard chutes done by Semroc - just like the current 12" ones. I know this isn't practical but I still would like to see them. I'd buy a bushel of them.

rraeford

ghrocketman
02-04-2007, 03:09 AM
I'd like to see Semroc offer a Nylon chute upgrade for all the kits that can fit their bulk as an option. I have all but given up on cheap plastic and mylar chutes for the kits that can carry nylon chutes.
Semroc already includes them in their "SLS" kits.
One kit that should include this FOR SURE is the Saturn 1B; I know it would increase the cost, but after spending all the time to build this one, do you really want to trust it to a plastic "garbage bag" 32 inch chute ?
To me it makes little if any sense that the little SLS Jaguar comes with Nylon, but the S1B does not.
I'd gladly rather pay for a single 30" or dual 18" nylon chutes for my S1B....I already have Thrustline nylon (very nice & affordable) chutes for my 2 S1B kits.
Anything of ST-13/BT-55 size can easily accomodate a nylon chute.

Carl@Semroc
02-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd like to see Semroc offer a Nylon chute upgrade for all the kits that can fit their bulk as an option. I have all but given up on cheap plastic and mylar chutes for the kits that can carry nylon chutes.
Semroc already includes them in their "SLS" kits.
One kit that should include this FOR SURE is the Saturn 1B; I know it would increase the cost, but after spending all the time to build this one, do you really want to trust it to a plastic "garbage bag" 32 inch chute ?
To me it makes little if any sense that the little SLS Jaguar comes with Nylon, but the S1B does not.
I'd gladly rather pay for a single 30" or dual 18" nylon chutes for my S1B....I already have Thrustline nylon (very nice & affordable) chutes for my 2 S1B kits.
Anything of ST-13/BT-55 size can easily accomodate a nylon chute.We did think about providing a 32" Nylon chute for the Saturn 1B but it would have raised the price to about $70.00. Since Nylon chutes are readily available, we left it up to the builder to upgrade the chute to match his preference and field conditions. Since many will probably be built for display or a limited number of flights, we would have probably gotten more complaints about the higher cost.

The SLS line is a little different since they are not as price sensitive and are designed to last longer by using more durable parts. When we added the Nylon chute to the SLS Hustler, the price jumped $8.00 over the original projected price. The only complaints we have received about the Hustler are about the high price. If we had dropped back to a cheaper chute, and kept the price lowere, the primary complaints would have been about the chute.

It is a balancing act.

Eagle3
02-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I'd like to see an option to purchase the SLS models without a chute if it's going to save me $8. I have a tote full of nylon chutes ranging in size from 12' to the Halo chute for my L2. I don't need anymore!

Ltvscout
02-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I'd like to see an option to purchase the SLS models without a chute if it's going to save me $8. I have a tote full of nylon chutes ranging in size from 12' to the Halo chute for my L2. I don't need anymore!
Yes, a chute-less option would be a good thing, IMHO.

dwmzmm
02-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, a chute-less option would be a good thing, IMHO.

I agree, too.

EchoVictor
02-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Another voice for the chute-less SLS option.....

Later,
EV

barone
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I've got a box full of plastic parachutes from kits. With the invention of the snap swivel, I keep three parachutes (stored in zip lock bags with talcum powder) in my range box...12", 18" and 24"....and one of each size as a back-up. I also have an 18" nylon chute in my range box. I fly them until they wear out and then rig up another. So, I'm more than content to have the kit arrive without a parachute. Is this a long enough desertation to say that an option to have a kit without a parachute suits me just find? :D That a kit without a parachute would just make my chute billow? :rolleyes:

rraeford
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
This makes a lot of sense to me as a consumer. But, I'll bet it would be a major headache to kit both versions and keep them straight inventory-wise...

rraeford

Carl@Semroc
02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
The volume is so low on the SLS line, having two versions of each is not feasable. Having dealers order and stock both of each model would also be a nightmare. We think that most customers will buy the cheaper version, then a few would say the parachute was missing and we would have to send a replacement chute to honor our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

We have been looking at something like an "easy-order" button for all designs, whether we kit them or not, that would allow someone to order all the parts needed and be able to back out parts that are not needed. This would allow one to click on the SLS Javelin, for instance, and then uncheck the chute and instructions if they are not wanted. Not sure how the price would compare, because most kits already cost less than the sum of their parts. It is much easier to kit a hundred at one time than to kit them one at a time on each order!

Maybe when we get as big as the "Giants", we can offer all our kits with choice of plastic, nylon, or none and in a wide choice of colors! :D Sheryl said she likes the "none" option the best when it comes to chutes!

bsexton
02-06-2007, 06:14 AM
You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time. :)

CPMcGraw
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time. :)

I think this is one of those discussions we've had before (some of it seems to linger in my mind, anyway). What you have to consider is the possibility (dare I say probability) of some fool shooting the model off without a parachute, then telling everyone "That's how it was sold -- they didn't put one in the package because it doesn't really need one!" Never mind how much we know otherwise, putting at least one plastic parachute in each kit is a (relatively cheap) measure of insurance (not an absolute guarantee) against such fools. It at least demonstrates to those with authority that the model was sold with intent of recovery, and not something that was meant to crash into other objects.

Put the plastic parachutes in every standard-kit package, with an advert in the larger kits offering the nylon as a special-order "upgrade".

Here's another suggestion: A mail-in offer to exchange unopened, as-shipped plastic parachutes back to SEMROC for some credit (maybe ten parachutes for a Rawhide or Swift, or six parachutes for a Rocket Rack, or some other exchange...). As long as the parachutes are unopened and pristine, they could easily be recycled back into other kits or sold separately. One way to ensure these are unopened and pristine -- heat-seal the parachute packages at both ends, instead of using those zip-top bags. If the bag is unopened, it's reasonable to presume they're likely undamaged...

Chas Russell
02-07-2007, 08:43 AM
As someone who has bagged and boxed a lot of kits when I worked for North Coast, having to package a kit one way and then package more with or without a part or parts is just too time consuming and can increase the error rate.
I personlly beleive that the nylon parachute should be standard as it mirrors the robust constrution of the SLS kits.
Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to include a plastic parachute and offer a discount on the purchase of the equivalent nylon parachute. "Buy this SLS kit and get a nylon parachute for $x.xx!" It might take some educating of consumers on "WHY" the nylon parachute is better, but then they might learn that from using the plastic parachute. Down-side is that if the plastic chute causes a failure, they might not return to purchase another product.

Chas

Mark II
02-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Please post your ideas for classic designs you'd like to see Semroc kit. The production of motors that have been unavailable should really open up the possibilities for reproductions.
How about models from the FSI line? Nice, big designs, easily cloned from Semroc parts.

About 2 months ago, I began a project to repro all of the FSI models. So far, I have built the Nova, Oso and Orbit, and will shortly be starting on the Eos and Hercules, followed by the Voyager, Stargazer and Viking I. Most have 24mm mounts which can be adapted to 18mm easily with an EM-79 kit; the Stargazer and Viking I will have 18mm mounts. I haven't spec'd out any with 21mm or 27 mm mounts, because I don't have those motors.

If 21mm motors go back into production (with 27mm a remote possibility too), these kits could be flown as they were designed to be.

Following these, I plan on building the Excaliber (dual rear ejection, like the Estes Gemini), Penetrator, Megatron and Micro. There are also, in addition to the Hercules, some other interesting "monster" (as in, really big) designs in the line that I'm anxious to build, including the Intrepid and the Viking V. I am building these with 29mm motor mounts.

I have parts lists spec'd out for all of the remaining FSI designs, except for the scale ones. All have been and will be easily cloned entirely using Semroc parts, except for the fact that some bigger nylon chutes. Many are based around ST-8F and ST-11 tubing. Eos uses ST-13 and ST-16, and Hercules uses LT-225. Viking I-IV are all ST-8F or ST-11. The majority use 1/16" plywood for fins, but you could probably get away with using basswood for most of them (I've been using ply). The only thing I don't currently have are decals. Excelsior (Phred) has decal sets for the Excalibur and the Nike Smoke. I am also lacking definitive info on color schemes, but have been able to figure a few of them out.

Most of the FSI models should give awesome flights on bigger motors - 24mm and 29mm, even some with 38mm. I haven't flown any of them yet, though - too much snow and too cold up here in the frozen North.

I have never seen an actual FSI model or kit in the flesh, and I only found about them for the first time a few months ago on the Yahoo! OldRockets forum.

Mark Kulka

Mark II
02-24-2007, 02:55 AM
I vote for the Centuri Defender.
I have cloned this one, but I think more than a few of these would sell as kits.

I'll cast a vote for the Centuri Defender, too. And while I'm at it, I'll also suggest the Estes Defender (possibly as an SLS kit?) ( Maybe both as SLS?).

Mark Kulka

Mark II
02-24-2007, 03:02 AM

As a BAR who is still ramping up my model production, I say keep the chutes. For the most part, all the chutes I have are from kits; I haven't built up a stock of spares yet. Beginner and intermediate level rocketeers, and probably most new BARs, would be in the same situation.

Mark Kulka

Ltvscout
02-24-2007, 07:09 AM
How about models from the FSI line? Nice, big designs, easily cloned from Semroc parts.
I believe these will be coming. Carl already has the parts available for a lot of them.

I have never seen an actual FSI model or kit in the flesh, and I only found about them for the first time a few months ago on the Yahoo! OldRockets forum.
You can find a bunch of plans on my Ye Olde Rocket Plans site at http://www.oldrocketplans.com

dwmzmm
02-24-2007, 01:34 PM

About 2 months ago, I began a project to repro all of the FSI models. So far, I have built the Nova, Oso and Orbit, and will shortly be starting on the Eos and Hercules, followed by the Voyager, Stargazer and Viking I. Most have 24mm mounts which can be adapted to 18mm easily with an EM-79 kit; the Stargazer and Viking I will have 18mm mounts. I haven't spec'd out any with 21mm or 27 mm mounts, because I don't have those motors.

If 21mm motors go back into production (with 27mm a remote possibility too), these kits could be flown as they were designed to be.

Following these, I plan on building the Excaliber (dual rear ejection, like the Estes Gemini), Penetrator, Megatron and Micro. There are also, in addition to the Hercules, some other interesting "monster" (as in, really big) designs in the line that I'm anxious to build, including the Intrepid and the Viking V. I am building these with 29mm motor mounts.

I have parts lists spec'd out for all of the remaining FSI designs, except for the scale ones. All have been and will be easily cloned entirely using Semroc parts, except for the fact that some bigger nylon chutes. Many are based around ST-8F and ST-11 tubing. Eos uses ST-13 and ST-16, and Hercules uses LT-225. Viking I-IV are all ST-8F or ST-11. The majority use 1/16" plywood for fins, but you could probably get away with using basswood for most of them (I've been using ply). The only thing I don't currently have are decals. Excelsior (Phred) has decal sets for the Excalibur and the Nike Smoke. I am also lacking definitive info on color schemes, but have been able to figure a few of them out.

Most of the FSI models should give awesome flights on bigger motors - 24mm and 29mm, even some with 38mm. I haven't flown any of them yet, though - too much snow and too cold up here in the frozen North.

Mark Kulka

You might also be able to clone the FSI 1/8 scale Black Brant - II kit, since SEMROC carries
the nosecone & bodytubes (but not the balsa tail cone, if I'm not mistaken). The FSI kit,
when built properly, is a very impressive and handsome model to display and fly.

Mark II
02-24-2007, 02:35 PM
You might also be able to clone the FSI 1/8 scale Black Brant - II kit, since SEMROC carries
the nosecone & bodytubes (but not the balsa tail cone, if I'm not mistaken). The FSI kit,
when built properly, is a very impressive and handsome model to display and fly.

Yes, I haven't spent much time spec'ing out the parts for the FSI scale models yet. I'll tackle those in awhile and want to get some scale data first anyway. I do have scale data on the Sandhawk, and I would be comfortable building that, but I don't think that Semroc has the right nosecone for it yet, nor do they have the nc for the Nike Smoke. I did see that they had the nc for the BB, so I could build it, but I would be more comfortable if I had more scale data first. FSI did provide some data with their plans, but, as with all thie kits, the information is a little skimpy.

I am really enjoying working my way through the FSI catalog - big (for the most part), sturdy designs that are quite easy to build. I had built a few Estes clones and one Centuri clone before (and am still building more ongoing) but this is the first big cloning project I've tackled. I'm glad to hear that Semroc is preparing to release some kits of these designs.

I do feel that some of the FSI designs could make good SLS kits. It might be cool, for instance, to upscale at least one of the Vikings, so that there would be a tube-finned SLS kit. The Viking V, which is quite a bit larger than its predecessors, could be released in true scale, without the need for upsizing. The Penetrator, Nova, Voyager and Orbit, upscaled 175%, might also make nice SLS kits. (These would also all be great as Retro-Repros as well.) I would suggest using the later versions of the Orbit and the Sprint (and others), rather than the earlier, pre-1971 versions.

Mark Kulka

Mark II
02-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I believe these will be coming. Carl already has the parts available for a lot of them.

You can find a bunch of plans on my Ye Olde Rocket Plans site at http://www.oldrocketplans.com

Yes, these are the ones that I have been working from.

Mark Kulka

Mark II
02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Just a couple of additional comment on the FSI Vikings. I don't know if they were the first tube-finned kits that anyone produced, but they were introduced pretty early on. I also feel that the Vikings are some of the nicest tube-fin rockets designs that I've seen yet, and they are very unique.

Mark Kulka

Mark II
02-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Although Semroc will not be releasing a V-2 kit (to avoid duplicating kits already out there), they could make use of the V-2 development effort to put out a repro of the Centuri MX-774, or else possibly a sport scale Bumper-WAC, neither of which are being produced by anyone else.

Mark Kulka

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Just a couple of additional comment on the FSI Vikings. I don't know if they were the first tube-finned kits that anyone produced, but they were introduced pretty early on. I also feel that the Vikings are some of the nicest tube-fin rockets designs that I've seen yet, and they are very unique.

Mark Kulka

I agree. They're all on my list of cloning victims. I tried to put one together one night this past week, but I got frustrated and gave up. I'd like to start doing some FSI cloning. :cool:

barone
02-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes, I haven't spent much time spec'ing out the parts for the FSI scale models yet. I'll tackle those in awhile and want to get some scale data first anyway. I do have scale data on the Sandhawk, and I would be comfortable building that, but I don't think that Semroc has the right nosecone for it yet, nor do they have the nc for the Nike Smoke. I did see that they had the nc for the BB, so I could build it, but I would be more comfortable if I had more scale data first. FSI did provide some data with their plans, but, as with all thie kits, the information is a little skimpy.

I am really enjoying working my way through the FSI catalog - big (for the most part), sturdy designs that are quite easy to build. I had built a few Estes clones and one Centuri clone before (and am still building more ongoing) but this is the first big cloning project I've tackled. I'm glad to hear that Semroc is preparing to release some kits of these designs.

I do feel that some of the FSI designs could make good SLS kits. It might be cool, for instance, to upscale at least one of the Vikings, so that there would be a tube-finned SLS kit. The Viking V, which is quite a bit larger than its predecessors, could be released in true scale, without the need for upsizing. The Penetrator, Nova, Voyager and Orbit, upscaled 175%, might also make nice SLS kits. (These would also all be great as Retro-Repros as well.) I would suggest using the later versions of the Orbit and the Sprint (and others), rather than the earlier, pre-1971 versions.

Mark KulkaMark,

This is a great era to be looking at cloning the FSI line of rockets. Many of the originals had poorly machined parts, mainly hardwood adapters or nosecones that weren't straight. Everytime I look at my Sprint, I wish I had cloned it instead so it would look straight. I'm really looking forward to Carl producing this line as Retro-Repos for that reason. The Viking V was my first FSI kit......an awesome rocket and excellent candidate for 29mm.

Mark II
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Mark,

This is a great era to be looking at cloning the FSI line of rockets. Many of the originals had poorly machined parts, mainly hardwood adapters or nosecones that weren't straight. Everytime I look at my Sprint, I wish I had cloned it instead so it would look straight. I'm really looking forward to Carl producing this line as Retro-Repos for that reason. The Viking V was my first FSI kit......an awesome rocket and excellent candidate for 29mm.

Did anyone here ever have an Intrepid? Talk about yer monster kits... :eek:

And it IS on my project list for later this year; I already have the parts list.

Mark K.

barone
02-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Did anyone here ever have an Intrepid? Talk about yer monster kits... :eek:

And it IS on my project list for later this year; I already have the parts list.

Mark K.
Yep....still in box (albeit opened to post plans here). Will probably go with the clone for this so I can put together an updated thrust pak (maybe a cluster of composites) ;)

Mark II
02-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Yep....still in box (albeit opened to post plans here). Will probably go with the clone for this so I can put together an updated thrust pak (maybe a cluster of composites) ;)

Oh, so you're THAT Don! Man, I can't thank you enough for sending Scott all those FSI plans and decal scans so that they could be posted on YORP! I NEVER would have found out about these models without them. You rock! And Scott rocks for posting them and maintaining his most excellent site. :)

Also thanks to Buzz McDermott, John Brohm, Al Swackhammer, Greg Elder and Sean Lannan for contributing their scans. You all, you all (oh, what's the word...oh, oh, I know) rock, too! ;)

I'm not sure, but I think that the FSI archive at YORF may be the only complete (give or take a few decal scans ;) ) library of plans of a major OOP company's entire catalog of kits that is publicly posted anywhere. And now, thanks to Carl (who is already well-known as someone who rocks), they are so cloneable by people like me, who never got to see and build these kits when they were in production.

Even though I've already started to build a few FSI clones, I am still SO looking forward to seeing them released as Semroc kits! :D

Mark K.

Ltvscout
02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that the FSI archive at YORF may be the only complete (give or take a few decal scans ;) ) library of plans of a major OOP company's entire catalog of kits that is publicly posted anywhere. And now, thanks to Carl (who is already well-known as someone who rocks), they are so cloneable by people like me, who never got to see and build these kits when they were in production.
That's what I've been looking to do. While JimZ has most of the Centuri and Estes plans available (I have most of the plans that he doesn't) I'm going more for showcasing the plans of all the other rocket companies out there. Watch for a huge set of Quest plans at my next YORP update. Thanks to Bill Stine for giving me permission to post them and to Don Fent who scanned up a bunch of OOP Quest plans for me. Craig McGraw has sent me some Quest plans as well.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
That's what I've been looking to do. While JimZ has most of the Centuri and Estes plans available (I have most of the plans that he doesn't) I'm going more for showcasing the plans of all the other rocket companies out there. Watch for a huge set of Quest plans at my next YORP update. Thanks to Bill Stine for giving me permission to post them and to Don Fent who scanned up a bunch of OOP Quest plans for me. Craig McGraw has sent me some Quest plans as well.

Anything from RDC coming up? :cool:

Carl@Semroc
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Anything from RDC coming up? :cool:Debating about doing the Feather. I have plans for it, Rawhide, and Scorpion. I would like to have scans of their nose cones to complete the parts line.

Mark II
02-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Debating about doing the Feather. I have plans for it, Rawhide, and Scorpion. I would like to have scans of their nose cones to complete the parts line.

Gee, I kind of like the Moon-Glo.

Mark K.

Chas Russell
02-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Launch magazine just did an interview with Irv Wait. Perhaps Irv either has some original parts or drawings that he would donate or loan to the effort.
Worst he coudl do is to say no.

Chas

snaquin
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Launch magazine just did an interview with Irv Wait. Perhaps Irv either has some original parts or drawings that he would donate or loan to the effort.
Worst he coudl do is to say no.

Chas

That was a brilliant interview with Irv Wait. I enjoyed it so much. Anyone know what rocket that Irv is holding in his hands in the photo on page 45? It resembles an ARCAS but the fins don't look quite right. I wonder if it was a variation of the RDC Starflite II?

Also I noticed the Starflite II in the Launch Magazine image has a different fin pattern from the 1968 catalog :confused:

Tau Zero
03-01-2007, 12:11 PM

About 2 months ago, I began a project to repro all of the FSI models. So far, I have built the Nova, Oso and Orbit, and will shortly be starting on the Eos and Hercules, followed by the Voyager, Stargazer and Viking I.

[SNIP] I have never seen an actual FSI model or kit in the flesh, and I only found about them for the first time a few months ago on the Yahoo! OldRockets forum.Here's an approximated FSI Orbit I mocked up in RockSim about a year ago:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=712&highlight=Orbit

Cheers,

Mark II
03-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Here's an approximated FSI Orbit I mocked up in RockSim about a year ago:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=712&highlight=Orbit

Cheers,

Let's see how it compares to my parts list:

Nose cone: Semroc BC-8F28
Parachute: Semroc CP-12BW
Screw Eye: SE-1
Shock Cord: 1/4" x 44" flat braided elastic
Shock Cord Mount: 100lb. Kevlar and #4 split ring
Snap Swivel: #1/0 brass snap swivel
Lower Airframe: Semroc ST-11120 (12", cut to 8")
Transition: Semroc BR-8F11 (with 13mm core drilled out, and 3" of ST-5 epoxied in for strength)
Upper Transition Centering Ring: CR-58 ( glued above transition, at upper end of ST-5)
Lower Transition Centering Rings: stacked combination of CR-57, ring of ST-7, CR-79, ring of ST-9, CR-9115 (sanded to fit ST-11) (glued below transition, at bottom end of ST-5)
- the previous 2 items were my additions, for strength

Upper Airframe: Semroc ST-8F180 (18", cut to 9")
Launch Lug: LL-2B
Motor Tube: Semroc ST-9 (5")
Motor Hook: Semroc EH-38
Motor Block: Semroc TR-9
Motor Tube Centering Rings: Semroc CR-9115 (sanded to fit ST-11)
Motor Tube Spacer: Semroc ST-8F (1")
Fins: 1/16" aircraft plywood

The Orbit is all assembled and is awaiting primer and paint. I haven't made reproductions of the decals yet.

Mark II
03-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Here are pix of the other two FSI repros that I have built so far - Nova and Oso. None have primer or paint yet. Also attached is a group portrait. ;)

The Nova has a cored-out transition, like the Orbit. It was the first of the three that I built. Instead of centering rings above and below the transition, I added really thick beads of Aeropoxy (and held the assembly horizintally and twirled it continuously for 2.5 hrs. until the epoxy had sufficiently set up so that it wouldn't drip when I set it down! Now you know why I went with centering rings when I built the Orbit. :o ).

The Nova can't stand up on its own because of its motor hook, so I have inserted a spent D12 most of the way into the motor mount. The Nova is balancing on the end of the spent motor.

Mark Kulka

Tau Zero
03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Let's see how it compares to my parts list:
[SNIP]

Motor Tube: Semroc ST-9 (5")
Motor Hook: Semroc EH-38
Motor Block: Semroc TR-9
Motor Tube Centering Rings: Semroc CR-9115 (sanded to fit ST-11)Ah, you went 24mm instead of 18mm. Nice!

I'm thinking your "reinforcement rings" fore and aft of the transition may help shift the CG further forward, in contrast to not having them at all. ;) :cool: Which is what you want when you have a fairly hefty motor to begin with.

Oddly enough, I like the "real life" picture of the model better than just the drawings or simulated images. :p

Cheers,

Mark II
03-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Ah, you went 24mm instead of 18mm. Nice!

I'm thinking your "reinforcement rings" fore and aft of the transition may help shift the CG further forward, in contrast to not having them at all. ;) :cool: Which is what you want when you have a fairly hefty motor to begin with.

Oddly enough, I like the "real life" picture of the model better than just the drawings or simulated images. :p

Cheers,

Aw, geez! Now I'm blushing! :o :D

Mark

Mark II
04-02-2007, 02:47 AM
My FSI clone family's latest portrait, with three new additions: Voyager (on far left - just completed within the past hour), Eos (second from left) and Star Gazer (fourth from left). All were built with Semroc parts, of course. :cool:

I have to get busy(er) soon and start painting these guys. :D

Mark (Proud Papa)

barone
04-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing some of the tubed fined FSI rockets.

Doug Sams
04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
My FSI clone family's latest portrait, with three new additions: Voyager (on far left - just completed within the past hour), Eos (second from left) and Star Gazer (fourth from left). All were built with Semroc parts, of course. :cool: Hi, Mark,

The Star Gazer...is that the one with the conformal fins? That's a 2-stager, right?

I'm a sucker for stagers with conformal fins even though I know what a royal PITA it is to get them lined up :(

I just finished an Eos a couple months ago - the only one of four Christmas vacation projects to actually be completed thus far. With this lind of performance to schedule, you can tell I used to work for a defense contractor :)

I had a NIB Orbit, but I gave it to a fellow DARS member (James Gartrell). He's into Cobras, and it looks a lot like that, so I figured he'd appreciate it a lot more than I would. He later returned the favor and gave me an unfinished, original "your free kit" Midget.

Doug

Mark II
04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Me, too. ;)

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. :D With that in mind, here's the latest scouting report:

Viking II is in the on-deck circle and will be coming to the plate soon, after replacing Viking I in the lineup. As you know, Don, Viking I has had a few problems in spring training. He was just sent down to the minors to work out a few issues with his form, but we are expecting to have him back in lineup in a couple of weeks or so. We also anticipate signing up Viking III to a contract later this month, and are getting ready to make an offer for Viking IV. Finally, management has expressed a desire to acquire the big unit himself, Viking V, and has set a goal of bringing him into the organization by the All-Star break.

In the offense, we anticipate that Vikings I, II and III will score a lot of runs for us; they all have the potential to reliably put the ball in play and get on base, and will all be quick and nimble in the base paths. Viking II has great extra-base potential. We also feel that Viking I, in particular, will show impressive base-stealing skills, once he has completed his rehabilitation. Both Viking IV and Viking V have great long-ball power, we think, with Viking V, in particular, swinging a big bat. Our batting lineup will have Viking I, Viking II and Viking III at the top of the order, with Viking IV and Viking V alternating in the clean-up spot.

On defense, we think that Vikings I - III will be great utility in-fielders. Viking IV will do fine service at 1st base, and Viking V, with his big mitt and his ability to gun the ball in from deep, will serve us well in the outfield.

So that's the team report from Opening Day. We'll keep you posted on new developments as the season progresses.

Mark

Mark II
04-05-2007, 12:55 PM

FSI Viking II clone, just completed. :D It is built entirely from Semroc parts (except for the plywood fins). :) It's not yet painted, of course, just like the other 2 dozen or so rockets that I've built in the past few months. :o

It's time to take this FSI cloning discussion to a new thread. Would anyone object if I put the new thread in the open Projects forum (with no mention of this recent discussion in the SVDT forum, of course)?

Mark

barone
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
FSI Viking II clone, just completed. :D It is built entirely from Semroc parts (except for the plywood fins). :) It's not yet painted, of course, just like the other 2 dozen or so rockets that I've built in the past few months. :o

It's time to take this FSI cloning discussion to a new thread. Would anyone object if I put the new thread in the open Projects forum (with no mention of this recent discussion in the SVDT forum, of course)?

MarkMark....Here's my painted Viking II. This is from an actual kit. Paint scheme my own idea. I think I was in the pistachio era at the time.... :rolleyes:

snaquin
04-05-2007, 05:42 PM

Mark

Mark,

I'd like to see a thread just for your FSI cloning projects in the open forum. There are FSI projects, pics and other bits of info scattered all through the open forum but I can seldom find them in searches :o

I'll have to try and find a few pics of originals that I haven't posted yet myself .....

Mark....Here's my painted Viking II. This is from an actual kit. Paint scheme my own idea. I think I was in the pistachio era at the time.... :rolleyes:

Nice Viking II Don! Where in the world were you able to find Pistachio colored paint? It's original and it looks great, I just don't think I've ever seen that color before. I had a flat black and chrome era. When I was in my teens I found how fast and forgiving the flat black sprays were and painted almost all my rockets flat black and used silver trim on them. Pretty boring huh?

Mark II
04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Mark,

I'd like to see a thread just for your FSI cloning projects in the open forum. There are FSI projects, pics and other bits of info scattered all through the open forum but I can seldom find them in searches :o

I'll have to try and find a few pics of originals that I haven't posted yet myself .....

Done. Please see the "Building FSI Clones" thread in the Projects section of the Workbench forum.

Let's keep the discussion going.

Mark