PDA

View Full Version : Potential SLS kits?

foose4string
01-21-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm starting this thread for people to make suggestions for what kit they'd like to see return as a Semroc SLS. I'll start off...

SLS Orbital Transport. This has been a very popular upscale over the years. Getting nosecones that are "just right" can be difficult to find. Carl made some very nice upscale cones(that weren't on the list) for my OT project @168%, and it got me thinking about Semroc potentially making this a kit to be included in the SLS lineup. Having the lazer cut parts would be VERY nice, but not necessary if a cost needed to be cut somewhere, heck, the original didn't have that luxery. A 3x18mm cluster or 1X24mm option, decals...the whole shabang. Production cost would be a big issue with it(I'm assuming), because of the amount of lumber, tubes, and decals, but if it can be done, I think it would be a good seller.

Carl@Semroc
01-21-2007, 09:46 PM
This will probably be reality in the near future.

Ltvscout
01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
This will probably be reality in the near future.
Here's my request for the reserve list on an SLS-OT! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Here's my request for the reserve list on an SLS-OT! :D

Me too, but make mine a builder. :D

Carl@Semroc
01-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I should have said "but not by us!"

ghrocketman
01-21-2007, 10:57 PM
The OT is a GREAT idea for a SLS kit.
I would sign up to be on the reserve list as soon as it is announced !

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-21-2007, 11:10 PM

Now cut that out! ;)

foose4string
01-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Hmmmm :confused: serious?

So you already had the idea, inquired, but found out it was already going to be done?

There might be a few others that could or would do it, but the only one that could do it RIGHT would be Semroc !

Eagle3
01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I hope when Carl gets to the larger engines he considers releasing the SLS Long Tom. Currently I'll have to fly it with electronics due to the engines available. It's a damned impressive looking two stager though!

Bill and I have both built SLS Vector-V's and that would be a nice candidate as well.

I have a 250% Scram-jet upscale that flies nice on F's, but Carl has mentioned he'd like to stick with 175% for SLS kits (since he already has the tubes needed for most SLS conversions). I wouldn't mind making another Scram-jet upscale though. :D

The Astron Beta was mentioned in the thread for other retro-repros, but I've seen an upscale Beta and it makes a really nice conversion.

I've built BT-60 Screamers and Mosquitoes and they're really nice fliers.

I'm working on a BT-60 Gyroc if anyone is interested in that. I've seen one fly before and it was pretty cool.

Ltvscout
01-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Hmmm, then I would have to guess it will be coming from Hawks Hobby.

foose4string
01-22-2007, 08:21 AM

I was thinking Estes, but it makes sense if someone else like Hawks is already ordering parts from Semroc. Nothing against Hawks, I'm sure they'll do a fine job, but it will probably be out of the price range I was hoping for. Their other upscales seem a bit pricey.

ghrocketman
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd like to suggest the Enerjet Athena as an SLS kit.
The wraps may be difficult, but as long as you can reproduce the Centuri S1B wraps, they are the same.
The decals would not be super easy either, but I do know the "United States" decal is the same as the Nike-Smoke decal....all of the other decals are pretty "Generic" other than the "Athena" logo on the payload section. The Enerjet Athena logo uses the EXACT same font as the much later and highly-boring Estes Athena 3FNC rocket.

The Enerjet Nike-Smoke with "working smoker" would also make a GREAT SLS kit also....just dont reccommend any engine larger than about an Estes BP E9-x engine.
I imagine very few original Enerjet Nike's were recovered if they were flown on the F67 back in the day.

bsexton
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Or possibly QModeling?

bsexton
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
As far as SLS kits go I wouldn't mind seeing:

Centuri Jayhawk with 24/29mm motor mount
Centuri Orion with 13/18mm motors in the pods with a central 24mm
Centuri Space Shuttle with 24/29mm motor mount

foose4string
01-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Or possibly QModeling?

Maybe I'm being unrealistic about pricing, but I think they may fall into the same category as Hawks. Since those companies are outsourcing for most of the parts, there is no way they can kit it as cheap as Semroc could. Granted they are top quality parts, beefed up contruction, nylon chutes, etc. I just don't think I would pay 100 dollars+ for a kit that I could scratch build for half the cost. A simple design like the bullpup is $65 so I can imagine what an OT would cost. I guess I'm too used to LPR pricing, or just plain frugal. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I hope when Carl gets to the larger engines he considers releasing the SLS Long Tom. Currently I'll have to fly it with electronics due to the engines available. It's a damned impressive looking two stager though!

Bill and I have both built SLS Vector-V's and that would be a nice candidate as well.

I have a 250% Scram-jet upscale that flies nice on F's, but Carl has mentioned he'd like to stick with 175% for SLS kits (since he already has the tubes needed for most SLS conversions). I wouldn't mind making another Scram-jet upscale though. :D

The Astron Beta was mentioned in the thread for other retro-repros, but I've seen an upscale Beta and it makes a really nice conversion.

I've built BT-60 Screamers and Mosquitoes and they're really nice fliers.

I'm working on a BT-60 Gyroc if anyone is interested in that. I've seen one fly before and it was pretty cool.

I'd be interested in all of them, especially the Scram Jet and Vector V. :cool:

CQBArms
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Semroc SLS-Bull-Pup
The qmodeling kit is really nice but a bit bigger than I personally like.
something in "the middle" would be very cool.

bsexton
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Semroc SLS-Bull-Pup
The qmodeling kit is really nice but a bit bigger than I personally like.
something in "the middle" would be very cool.
I just finished my first QModeling kit - the Bullpup. While I love the Estes design for some reason and plan to build a high power 3X upscale someday, I wonder if there is enough of a market for something in-between the original and the QModeling version.

http://vikingsrocketsociety.org/Images/QMBP_finished_large.jpg

CQBArms
01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't know. maybe you are right...but I guess then maybe instead of an SLS kit, maybe just a regular kit but made by Semroc.

snaquin
01-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I have to agree with the Enerjet Athena as an SLS choice. That would be my #1 choice. And an SLS version of the Centuri Orion. I wonder if a production model would work well with cardboard wraps similar to the ones Bob Thomas made, instead of having to do vacuum form those parts?

Both with 29mm main mounts with 24mm adapters like the AeroDart, Explorer ect.

I always wanted the Centuri Space Shuttle and never owned one. I've wanted one when Mike Jerauld with Blast From The Past had parts kits for sale but as usual I procrastinated and missed out. I'd buy an SLS version of that one too!

Initiator001
01-23-2007, 08:31 PM
And an SLS version of the Centuri Orion. I wonder if a production model would work well with cardboard wraps similar to the ones Bob Thomas made, instead of having to do vacuum form those parts?

Steve,

Neubaurer Rocketry has a 2.6" diameter Orion model.

It has vacuum-formed wraps with a 24mm motor mount.

You may have seen a picture of this model on the cover of the Nov/Dec 2006 issue of Sport Rocketry. :D

Bob

snaquin
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Steve,

Neubaurer Rocketry has a 2.6" diameter Orion model.

It has vacuum-formed wraps with a 24mm motor mount.

You may have seen a picture of this model on the cover of the Nov/Dec 2006 issue of Sport Rocketry. :D

Bob

Bob,

I remember when you first posted the pictures of yours from NARAM :D Very nice!

I have been speaking with Jim Neubauer via email since the Holidays. He told me the Orion II model has been "updated" and now features a new resin nose cone instead of the balsa nose cone. The decals were made to look more like the original Orion, plus they were made on an Alps printer. He also told me he improved the body wraps.

I'm actually waiting for him to reply. I tried to send him an order using an AMEX Gift Card I got for Christmas but PayPay doesn't seem to want to accept that. Did I mention I hate PayPal? If not: I hate PayPal :mad:

I was going to procure the parts to build a Semroc SLS Orion according to the RockSim file parts/dimensions that Craig posted but by the time I figured how much it would cost to purchase 1B wraps, parts & decals the Neubauer kit looks attractive.

I do have a couple of question for you Bob. Since the Neubauer kit doesn't include it, how did you make your nozzle shroud and do you still have a pattern. It just wouldn't look right without the nozzle. Were the kit fins balsa or basswood?

Thanks!

:)

Chas Russell
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Steve sez:

"I always wanted the Centuri Space Shuttle and never owned one. I've wanted one when Mike Jerauld with Blast From The Past had parts kits for sale but as usual I procrastinated and missed out. I'd buy an SLS version of that one too!"

At a NARCON a few years back in Austin, I roomed with Mike. Anyone renovating their childhood home on Penrose Street deserves some credit. I have one of his BFTP shuttle kits and got a couple of his vacuum-formed cones for a clone.
I gave Mike an opened Centuri Space Shuttle kit, as I still have a sealed one, and he was to send me one of the super-sized kits. Life happens. I'm out an historical kit.

The rest is histerical...

I am late to join the party. Carry one. SLS Orion, eventually.

How about some SLS of the ORIGINAL SEMROC kits?

Goliath? Lune R-1? Swift?

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/semroc570/570semroccat.html

My Asperger's showing through....

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
At a NARCON a few years back in Austin, I roomed with Mike. Anyone renovating their childhood home on Penrose Street deserves some credit. I have one of his BFTP shuttle kits and got a couple of his vacuum-formed cones for a clone.
I gave Mike an opened Centuri Space Shuttle kit, as I still have a sealed one, and he was to send me one of the super-sized kits. Life happens. I'm out an historical kit.

I was on the board for one each of Mike's Mach 10 and M10-D kits. I got one of his shuttle kits, which just needs a few finishing touches before I drag it out to VOA. All of the tough stuff is done, like building the pod and setting up the pod attachment points. I think I just have to put the elevators on the booster and shuttle, and those are just paper IIRC. Maybe next week?

My Asperger's showing through....

Chas

I had an Asperger once. They overcooked it. You have to be careful with them. Low heat and only turn them once. :eek:

billspad
01-25-2007, 06:06 PM
How about a SLS Cherokee based on the tube used in the SLS Laser X with similar interchangeable motor mounts? That would make it a little larger than the old AAA Cherokee G.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
One word. S.P.E.V.
Okay, so not technically a word. More like four letters, but you get the idea. :rolleyes:

Carl@Semroc
01-25-2007, 06:46 PM
One word. S.P.E.V.
Okay, so not technically a word. More like four letters, but you get the idea. :rolleyes:An SLS SPEV? After we spent over $200 for the antomically correct BT-52!? What is the SLS equavalent of BT-52?

OK, three questions is the limit for one response. Isn't it? OK, now it is 4.

SEL
01-25-2007, 06:48 PM
How about a SLS Cherokee based on the tube used in the SLS Laser X with similar interchangeable motor mounts? That would make it a little larger than the old AAA Cherokee G.

Consider this a second and third request for a SLS Cherokee, Carl.

Sean

Bob H
01-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Consider this a second and third request for a SLS Cherokee, Carl.

SeanWhich one would you want upscaled?

I vote for the original 16.35" short body tube one and not the later 18" one.

Chas Russell
01-25-2007, 08:45 PM
The Fish Man spoke thusly: One word. S.P.E.V.

I will second that. I had a SPEV many moon ago. Still have the original Estes parts to build another, plus BMS parts. Someday I will build one and a Thor-Agena B clone.

Still, a 175% SPEV would be, well spevlicious. I may have to play with the ratios tomorrow. Thanks Bill...jeez, I'd like to finish one of the 19 projects in work (seriously).

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
The Fish Man spoke thusly: One word. S.P.E.V.

I will second that. I had a SPEV many moon ago. Still have the original Estes parts to build another, plus BMS parts. Someday I will build one and a Thor-Agena B clone.

Chas

I'm in the process of cleaning out the "lab" and I found some S.P.E.V. parts that I bought at NARCON in 2005. I had planned to hollow out the TA-6070 transition and have the new separation point be the TA-5260, so tonight I dragged out the Dremel and let the balsa dust fly. This one will also be D-powered. Apparently I build a little heavy because my old one struggled a little on C's. The old one is looking pretty ragged these days.

Thanks Bill...jeez, I'd like to finish one of the 19 projects in work (seriously).

Yeah, I'm hip to that. So hip that I have trouble seeing over my pelvis, as they say. I did finish one today. It's the Sunward Galactic Wave that I bought along with the Gravity Rider. It was supposed to be all white, but it was pretty boring that way. I sprayed the inside of the pod tubes with fluorescent orange and painted the guns grey just to break up the white. I've been scrounging through my decal collection looking for something to jazz it up a little and I think I've come up with a few that will work without looking out of place. (Not using all the decals on most of my projects has finally paid off.) :cool:

EchoVictor
01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Using the criteria that an SLS kit comes after a standard production kit, my vote would be for an SLS-Taurus.

Without that, my obvious choice would be for an SLS-Satellite Killer. Heck, I'd settle for a standard one...

I'd also like to see an SLS-Vector V as well.

Later,
Eric

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Using the criteria that an SLS kit comes after a standard production kit, my vote would be for an SLS-Taurus.

Without that, my obvious choice would be for an SLS-Satellite Killer. Heck, I'd settle for a standard one...

I'd also like to see an SLS-Vector V as well.

Later,
Eric

Can't help you with the Satellite Killer, but.....

snaquin
02-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Just before the Christmas holidays I had created two new designs for the Lune R-1. One was a simple two stage modification of the standard Lune R-1 kit that I named "Lune R-1 Plus 1" that I procured parts for and posted the design in the Designer's Corner thread.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=15032&postcount=28

I had also designed a 1.77 upscale of the Lune R-1, an SLS version. My SLS Lune R-1 uses the same 1.84" OD type LT-175 tubing that ships with the Semroc SLS kits. I used a pre-slotted tube for the main airframe and cut my own fins with tabs from basswood. Cutting my own fins to fit the slots made me really appreciate the precision cuts and ease of assembly of Carl's SLS fins that ship with the kits, let's just leave it at that :)
I did however want to have the same swappable motor mount system as the production SLS kits to use 24mm or 29mm motors so my SLS Lune R-1 is built in the same manner.

Sandman turned me a solid basswood nose cone 9" long to fit the LT-175 tubing perfectly. Thanks again Sandman! I used a solid balsa nose cone in the attached RockSim file to match what would normally ship with an SLS kit and the screen print reflects altitudes and DV's based on that.

My version remains true to Carl's other SLS designs by using the same baffle system with kevlar anchor system and nylon parachute.

One of the attached images shows a standard Lune R-1 standing next to my SLS version for a size comparison. I am waiting for a reply for custom adhesive backed vinyl decals in red and blue to fit my SLS version. I plan to fly my PerfectFlite miniAlt/WD recording altimeter in the large payload section to obtain flight data. First decent weather we get here on the Gulf Coast and I'll have it primed and hopefully ready to fly soon!

At just over 41" it's slightly longer than the SLS Hustler kit and that would make it the longest SLS kit available. That being said and the fact that the Lune R-1 is a Semroc original design just made it that much more desirable to me to build it.

Should this be a kit? My vote is YES! :D

Chas Russell
02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Nice work Steve! I happen to have a SEMROC LUNE R-1 in construction (for months now), along with several other SLS kits. The Better Half does not like the sanding sealer fumes in the house so progress is slow.
An SLS kit would be nice, given the size. Should appeal to those who like a sleek vehicle.

Chas

ghrocketman
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
My wife complained about Sanding Sealer/Balsa Fillercoat fumes to me once....I nicely informed her that if I can deal with her Hair Spray, Acetone, and Nail Polish fumes in the house, she can deal with the Sanding Sealer fumes as well.
Much to her credit of being logical, she has never brought up the issue again.
Actually I think my usage of those products on the Kitchen Counter without some sort of shield bothered her more than the fumes. Now I lay down a newspaper.

snaquin
02-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice work Steve! I happen to have a SEMROC LUNE R-1 in construction (for months now), along with several other SLS kits. The Better Half does not like the sanding sealer fumes in the house so progress is slow.
An SLS kit would be nice, given the size. Should appeal to those who like a sleek vehicle.

Chas

Chas

Thanks for the compliment! I'm a big fan of the Lune R-1 rocket. I noticed if you search "Lune" on the Semroc site there is now a shroud posted but not yet able to be added to the cart for purchase. The kit instructions mention that the earliest version Semroc kit had a paper nozzle shroud and I'm interested to see how that would look (so I may have to build another). The catalog image at Ninfinger appears to show the shroud.

http://tinyurl.com/2c83b4

I'm going to try and get the fillets done on my SLS version this weekend and the fins filled so the next day we have here in Louisiana with low humidity I can spray some primer. I did get an email from Dave Rose with Graphix & Stuff about the adhesive backed upscale decals in vinyl and he promised to get back with me in a few days to let me know something. I'm going to upscale the Semroc logo decals accordingly to match as well.

Chas Russell
02-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Steve wrote:

The catalog image at Ninfinger appears to show the shroud.

http://tinyurl.com/2c83b4

I lent that catalog to Sven Knudson at a NARCON in Austin, TX and was really pleased that he scanned the entire catalog. The catalog included some flyers for some neat SEMROC motors. It is one of my favorites, along with the '64 Estes and '66 Centuri in my collection.

Now I'll have to go back and reconsider adding the tail cone. Paper and epoxy? May have to cut down a plastic cone for strength...

Hmmmmmmm,
Chas

Initiator001
02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Bob,

I remember when you first posted the pictures of yours from NARAM :D Very nice!

I have been speaking with Jim Neubauer via email since the Holidays. He told me the Orion II model has been "updated" and now features a new resin nose cone instead of the balsa nose cone. The decals were made to look more like the original Orion, plus they were made on an Alps printer. He also told me he improved the body wraps.

I'm actually waiting for him to reply. I tried to send him an order using an AMEX Gift Card I got for Christmas but PayPay doesn't seem to want to accept that. Did I mention I hate PayPal? If not: I hate PayPal :mad:

I was going to procure the parts to build a Semroc SLS Orion according to the RockSim file parts/dimensions that Craig posted but by the time I figured how much it would cost to purchase 1B wraps, parts & decals the Neubauer kit looks attractive.

I do have a couple of question for you Bob. Since the Neubauer kit doesn't include it, how did you make your nozzle shroud and do you still have a pattern. It just wouldn't look right without the nozzle. Were the kit fins balsa or basswood?

Thanks!

Steve,

As for the nozzle shroud on the Orion II, I just broke out my old school compass, guessed at a size and drew it. I then went to Staples and had a copy made on 65# paper. After that, I cut out the 'nozzle'. It was too big so I just kept trimming until it was a size I thought looked right. Not very 'high-tech'. :D

The fins were laser-cut balsa. It took many coats of sealer to fill the grain.

Bob

snaquin
02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Carl sent a BC-17590 balsa nose cone for the SLS Lune R-1. Although it was exactly what I ordered, the basswood nose cone proved to be too heavy in simulations for D12 and E9 motor flights. With a Semroc BC-17590 balsa cone my SLS Lune R-1 is now a true representation of what a future SLS kit release of this rocket would be as far as construction is concerned and now will have the flight performance to match. Thanks Carl ! :D

I also received self adhesive backed vinyl decals scaled to fit the larger LT-175 tubing and the "Semroc" logo decals also scaled accordingly from Dave at Graphix and Stuff. These appear dull in the image because of the protective transfer sheets above and below the actual vinyl decals. I peeled the top sheet back a little to examine these and the red and blue are an exact match for the colors of the originals and look great.

Fins have fillets applied and I'm going to fill the basswood fin grain and balsa nose cone in hopes of getting a first coat of primer on it this coming weekend and possibly my first base coat of gloss white as well.

snaquin
02-23-2007, 11:45 PM
The weather was pretty good Mardi Gras day so I shot two coats of gray primer since I had the day off of work. I bought a few cans of "Brite Touch" BT-49 gray primer at Pep Boys for a few bucks a can because I noticed it's manufactured by Dupli-Color and a little over a buck a can less expensive than the Dupli-Color branded primer. After a couple of days in the garage it didn't smell anymore so I shot a light coat of Krylon gloss white and today followed up with a final heaver coat of the same.

I applied the blue/red decal wrap on the payload section and one of the Semroc logo decals. I'm not sure I want to put the other decal on the opposite side of the body tube and may put it on a blue fin or on the payload section. Not sure, and it's pretty much up to the builders discretion for placement since the logo decals are included but don't appear in any of the kit artwork. The indoor flash picture really washes it out but it's coming along really nicely.

I still need to mask off and paint two of the fins red and the other two fins blue. I purchased a couple of small cans of Krylon paint for that with my Hobby Lobby coupon although I'm not familiar with these colors. The red is SCS-033 Red Pepper and the blue is SCS-073 Forever Blue. The caps appear to be about the colors I need but I haven't test sprayed any yet. Anyone else ever try these "Short Cuts" Hobby/Craft Paints by Krylon for small projects? Any comments? I'm going to let it dry a good bit before I mask and spray the colors.

BTW, the SLS Lune R-1 RockSim file I posted earlier is accurate as far as weights are concerned and using the BC-17590 balsa nose cone that Carl turned for me.

I absolutely love this rocket!

:D

ghrocketman
02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
The krylon "Short Cuts" small cans work very well; I have used them several times.
They offer a purple in this line that correctly matches the purple that was used to match the factory colors of the fin section for the old Estes Wizard. That is the only purple I have found for this one since Aero Gloss Royal Purple Dope and Testors Dark Purple enamel were discontinued.

snaquin
02-24-2007, 06:18 PM
The krylon "Short Cuts" small cans work very well; I have used them several times.
They offer a purple in this line that correctly matches the purple that was used to match the factory colors of the fin section for the old Estes Wizard. That is the only purple I have found for this one since Aero Gloss Royal Purple Dope and Testors Dark Purple enamel were discontinued.

I didn't see a purple color in the "Short Cuts" at Hobby Lobby. They had very little selection. The thing I found interesting is the colors in these smaller cans all had different names for the colors than similar colors in the large spray cans. The caps on the red a blue I picked up look brighter than Krylon in the large cans.

It will be interesting to see how these two colors look on the fins. With the 40% off the price was reasonable so I'll have to look for the purple and other colors when I can purchase some on sale.

Holaka
03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I've found the Krylon Short Cuts in the close out section of the Ft Wayne Hobby Lobby, also the Sterling Silver Krylon spray looks like polished stainless steel. I wonder how shiny their chrome is?!

Two suggestions for SLS Kits ... Aerobee-Hi and an Arcon Hi ( two stage )

snaquin
03-03-2007, 02:05 PM
I found the Krylon Short Cuts paints in the small cans worked out just great. The red and blue colors I used for the fins finished out nice and bright. The indoor flash photos really don't do the final paint colors justice. I'll be searching for more colors next time the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon surfaces again.

What can I say. The completed SLS Lune R-1just has me beaming with a big smile :D

At slightly over 41" tall it's big but light enough to fly on Estes D12's. I wouldn't hesitate to use RMS or single use G motors in it and I will when I have a chance to take it to the HPR field in Winnsboro next month.

My Semroc Lil' Hustler is shown in the photo for scale.

I can't wait to fly it!

:cool:

Chas Russell
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Great Job, Steve! I am going to inquire about the BC-17590 nose cone at NARCON, since it is not currently on the SEMROC site (see, Carl, we do pay attention <g>).
I am trying to finish up the Luna R-1 kit for the sports launch at NARCON, if the weather permits. Still getting bleeding under the 3M blue tape. Also had a rattle can of Krylon go berserk on me. Its one of those days.

Anyone else up for an SLS Lune R-1?

Chas

Tau Zero
03-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Great Job, Steve! I am going to inquire about the BC-17590 nose cone at NARCON, since it is not currently on the SEMROC site (see, Carl, we do pay attention <g>).Some interesting new cones:
BC-17590 (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?SKU=BC-17590) Balsa Nose Cone Upscale of BC-1051 Old Semroc NC-413

It is if you look here ;) :

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?SKU=BC-17590

Anyone else up for an SLS Lune R-1?If you are, time's a-wastin'. ;) :D

Cheers,

snaquin
03-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Great Job, Steve! I am going to inquire about the BC-17590 nose cone at NARCON, since it is not currently on the SEMROC site (see, Carl, we do pay attention <g>).
I am trying to finish up the Luna R-1 kit for the sports launch at NARCON, if the weather permits. Still getting bleeding under the 3M blue tape. Also had a rattle can of Krylon go berserk on me. Its one of those days.

Anyone else up for an SLS Lune R-1?

Chas

Thanks Chas. I noticed the thread last night that Jay mentions with Carl's reference of the BC-17590 nose cone as well as some other new interesting cones. If you missed it:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1520

I use 3M blue tape and I always seem to get just a little spot of bleeding where there is an overlap if I don't press it down again just prior to spraying. I can't seem to find the tamiya brand other forum members have mentioned they've had good results with.

I need to set up my PerfectFlite miniAlt/WD on a small cardboard sled to slide into the payload section. I want to get some flight data back when I bring it to launch next month.

Ltvscout
03-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I use 3M blue tape and I always seem to get just a little spot of bleeding where there is an overlap if I don't press it down again just prior to spraying. I can't seem to find the tamiya brand other forum members have mentioned they've had good results with.
I know Kurt Schachner swears by it. Kurt, if you see this thread let Steve know where you've found it in the past.

John Brohm
03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I know Kurt Schachner swears by it. Kurt, if you see this thread let Steve know where you've found it in the past.

I use Tamiya tape for critical masking all the time - it's properties are just excellent.

I often pick it up at a hobby shop I visit in Toronto on my various travels; a more convenient way to get it is to order the stuff on line: visit http://www.greatmodels.com/ , click on the Search button, and then just enter Tamiya tape. This will present you with a selection of their masking tape.

Hope this helps;

snaquin
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I use Tamiya tape for critical masking all the time - it's properties are just excellent.

I often pick it up at a hobby shop I visit in Toronto on my various travels; a more convenient way to get it is to order the stuff on line: visit http://www.greatmodels.com/ , click on the Search button, and then just enter Tamiya tape. This will present you with a selection of their masking tape.

Hope this helps;

John,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try a couple of rolls of the Tamiya tape and I appreciate the source for it. I'll just get it online since the local shops don't seem to handle it.

John Brohm
03-06-2007, 05:24 AM
John,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try a couple of rolls of the Tamiya tape and I appreciate the source for it. I'll just get it online since the local shops don't seem to handle it.

No problem; and Taras says hi!

Mark II
03-10-2007, 12:54 AM
What can I say. The completed SLS Lune R-1just has me beaming with a big smile :D

At slightly over 41" tall it's big but light enough to fly on Estes D12's. I wouldn't hesitate to use RMS or single use G motors in it and I will when I have a chance to take it to the HPR field in Winnsboro next month.

My Semroc Lil' Hustler is shown in the photo for scale.

I can't wait to fly it!

:cool:

Excellent! I like it a lot! :cool: :)

Mark

snaquin
03-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Excellent! I like it a lot! :cool: :)

Mark

Thanks Mark. Our next scheduled launch will be at the HPR field in Winnsboro, LA on Saturday March 31st and I plan to put some flights on it. Due to some other projects I'm working on I may not have time before March 31st to get the altimeter mounted to a smalled sled and the payload section port drilled so I may have to fly it solo.

I have a couple of nice F and G motors set aside for the SLS Lune R-1

Chas Russell
03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Mark,

Nice builds! I can't wait to see what color schemes you use on them.

I have an FSI OSO kit in the bag. My first FSI kit was the Nova and I flew the snot out of it on the 21mm motors. Then came "the failure". I still have the original hard wood nose cone and adapter. I also have a set of the Nova fins that I used on a spoof of sounding rockets called the "Buzzardhawk" (also gone to the Great Launch Pad in the Sky).

Hmmmm...maybe I'll have to order some of Carl's FSI sized tubes...

Chas
Awaiting SLS Lune R-1 launch photos...

Mark II
03-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Mark,

Nice builds! I can't wait to see what color schemes you use on them.

Thanks. I'm still working that issue out. Some of the color schemes used in the illustrations in the 1971 FSI catalog are kind of interesting, but I doubt that any models were actually painted to look like those illustrations. Even though the photos of the rockets were in B&W in all of the subsequent catalogs, I have tentatively figured out some color schemes, based in part on the colors used in the decals (for the models that have scanned decals).

I have an FSI OSO kit in the bag. My first FSI kit was the Nova and I flew the snot out of it on the 21mm motors. Then came "the failure". I still have the original hard wood nose cone and adapter. I also have a set of the Nova fins that I used on a spoof of sounding rockets called the "Buzzardhawk" (also gone to the Great Launch Pad in the Sky).

Hmmmm...maybe I'll have to order some of Carl's FSI sized tubes...

Chas

The Nova was the first FSI repro that I built (all of 3 months ago) and the ease with which everything went together in that model encouraged me to undertake the project of building repros of all of the FSI birds.

Taking the solid, sturdy designs of the FSI rockets and then building them with very high quality parts obtained from Semroc has resulted in rockets that certyainly seem to be very durable; all three that I have built look like they will last a long time (unless and until I try to fly any of them on some ridiculously powerful motor while trying to reach one mile, and lose it, that is. ;) )

Mark

snaquin
03-16-2007, 10:35 PM

It's ready ..... I'm working on mounting my PerfectFlite altimeter in the SLS Lune R-1 payload section tonight. I'm trying to decide if I want to secure the nose cone to the payload bay with PEM nuts and machine screws from Missile Works or those plastic rivets that PML and Giant Leap sell, I have both on hand. I don't want my altimeter ejected at apogee :rolleyes:

I need to weight it once more with the altimeter and recovery system installed and run some final sims to make some motor selections. I'm thinking either an E motor in my reload case or a single use F for it's first flight and either a single use G40 or G80-10FWL fast white lightning. Those were the limited G80 runs that AeroTech did a few years back that Magnum used to sell ten for $100. I have one left. Our next launch date is in Winnsboro, LA on March 31st.

I will definitely have my camera with me and post any flight data that is downloaded!

*Edit*
I'm going to use the reusable plastic rivets from PML to secure everything .....

snaquin
09-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Since this was an SVDT project I left the SLS Lune-R1 picture out of the public forum post with the launch announcement for the upcoming launch in Winnsboro, LA.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=2145

Finally, after all of our rained out launches here in Louisiana earlier this year I have a first flight planned for next Saturday. First flight will carry a PerfectFlite recording altimeter with an F42-8T EconoJet motor. Estimated altitude is 1,861 feet. The black spots just below the nose cone are PML reusable plastic rivets. I drilled through the payload tube and into the shoulder and reinforced the holes with CA. Just some added protection that the nose cone stays put and my altimeter stays secure.

I'm really looking forward to this flight! Six rocket flights are planned and everything is prepped and ready ..... just need some clear skies so keeping my fingers crossed.

snaquin
09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Finally after the 9/15 and 9/22 dates in Winnsboro, LA were rained out I had a chance to put my first flight on this model yesterday!

Several guys at the launch asked what kit it was and where I had purchased it. I told them that four of the scratch built rockets including the SLS Lune-R1 that I had with me at the launch were built using heavy duty Semroc body tubes, same as what was used by Semroc in SLS grade kits.

I used an F42-8T EconoJet motor with a PerfectFlite altimeter in the payload bay. My final dry weight with the altimeter & battery {less motor} rounded out to 10.6oz. The estimated altitude that I earlier stated as 1,861 feet was based on an old .rkt file, prior to finishing the rocket. Based on the actual weight of 10.6oz RockSim estimated 1,678 feet as the altitude prediction. The altimeter was beeping out 1,335 feet post flight. I'm waiting to download the flight data because I had to order a USB to DB-9 cable since my computer doesn't have a serial port to use with the PerfectFlite data transfer kit :(

It was an awesome first flight and I thought yesterday I would have a picture with a frame full of smoke because it ripped off the pad extremely fast. To my surprise I did manage to catch it just at the top of the frame although some of the shots using 800asa film are a little grainy. Perfect flight and recovery within walking distance from the LCO table.

The SLS Lune-R1 was one of four flights I made yesterday including two of my EnerJet clones on G35-10 motors. I'll be updating the other threads soon.

Initiator001
09-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Steve,

I'm glad to hear you had a good flight with the SLS Lune R-1.

If there is a Best Buy near your home, they sell a USB to DB9 connector.

I like the hat you were wearing, too. ;)

Bob

snaquin
09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Bob,

It really was a good flight. It's a very stable design and flew straight as an arrow. As soon as I get my cable I'll post the flight data here.

I tried Circuit City and CompUSA today neither one had that cable. Best Buys is a little further away so I skipped Best Buys. I bought the cable from an online company called TigerDirect.com and they had it for $12.99

The guys at the computer stores were looking at me like I was from Mars wanting a cable to connect to a serial device. When they asked me what it was for and I told them I used it for a flight controller / altimeter in my rockets I got even stranger looks.

The EnerJet hat has now become part of my usual launch apparel ..... :)

ghrocketman
10-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Ok now....
Fess up !
WHERE can one buy an Enerjet hat or three ?
Enerjet fans WANT to know !
The only other one I have seen was being worn by LP himself.

snaquin
10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Ok now....
Fess up !
WHERE can one buy an Enerjet hat or three ?
Enerjet fans WANT to know !
The only other one I have seen was being worn by LP himself.

The EnerJet hat was a "Limited Edition". A good friend of mine had these made and some were given out at NARAM-48 and that's how Lee Piester acquired his. Only a small production run of them were ever made and they were not for sale.

snaquin
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Upscale based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. I based this upscale on BTH-70 tubing also used in the Semroc SLS ARCAS kit. I had purchased an extra nose cone, centering rings and a couple of cut lengths of BTH-70 after I purchased the SLS ARCAS kit so I actually have most of the parts on hand.

Length: 32.9"
Diameter: 2.25" (BTH-70)
Fin Span: 9.89"
Weight: 7.44 oz

One RockSim file has the standard 29mm mount and the other file has the 24mm EM-9115 adapter installed. It's light enough to fly off a standard 36" launch rod with either a D12 or E9 black powder engine and simmed well on many E through G reloads. It shares basswood fins with other SLS type kits and fins mount through the wall to the engine mount. TTW fin tabs can be shortened some but I was looking at the worse case scenario with weight and EM-9115 installed for stability.

The decal in RockSim did not render well {and of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow} but you get the basic idea from the 3D image. I would most likely have either Excelsior make an upscale water-slide or use Dave again with Graphix & Stuff for a self adhesive vinyl version.

My plans are to build it so it's in the queue .....

chanstevens
03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
OK, I just have to float the idea, even though probably only a few dozen of us would bite and buy one--how 'bout an SLS Golden Scout to follow on the great 50th anniversary commemorative model? Heck, I'll bet Gleda could wrap the tubing on that one!

CPMcGraw
03-05-2008, 11:08 PM
...of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow...

Sure you can...

Edit the setting for the fin count to "1", then duplicate the fin three more times, changing the radial angle by 90 degrees for each fin. Set the color for three of them to yellow and the last one to black.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Upscale based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. I based this upscale on BTH-70 tubing also used in the Semroc SLS ARCAS kit. I had purchased an extra nose cone, centering rings and a couple of cut lengths of BTH-70 after I purchased the SLS ARCAS kit so I actually have most of the parts on hand.

Length: 32.9"
Diameter: 2.25" (BTH-70)
Fin Span: 9.89"
Weight: 7.44 oz

One RockSim file has the standard 29mm mount and the other file has the 24mm EM-9115 adapter installed. It's light enough to fly off a standard 36" launch rod with either a D12 or E9 black powder engine and simmed well on many E through G reloads. It shares basswood fins with other SLS type kits and fins mount through the wall to the engine mount. TTW fin tabs can be shortened some but I was looking at the worse case scenario with weight and EM-9115 installed for stability.

The decal in RockSim did not render well {and of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow} but you get the basic idea from the 3D image. I would most likely have either Excelsior make an upscale water-slide or use Dave again with Graphix & Stuff for a self adhesive vinyl version.

My plans are to build it so it's in the queue .....

While not a true SLS-esque project, I do have an old Hornet project that I recently resurrected. In 2001, my brother in law did an upscale of Der Big Red Max based on an L.O.C. Lil Nuke. Ever since then I wanted to try something similar. That Christmas he bought me a Lil Nuke kit and I got started on what I called the Hemi Hornet. :rolleyes: Not knowing a lot about what I was doing, I used a cheap 60 second epoxy to attach the fins and they came out wobbly. I got mad, stuffed the project under the rocket shelf, and forgot about it. I dragged it out and dusted it off last weekend. The fins look like the teeth you see on people buying scratch off lottery tickets, so I ripped them off and I'm going to start again. The decal was printed a long time ago and I don't know where it got to, so I guess that's going to have to be re-done also. Pics at this point are out of the question, but once it gets off life support I'll try to take a few.

Ltvscout
03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
OK, I just have to float the idea, even though probably only a few dozen of us would bite and buy one--how 'bout an SLS Golden Scout to follow on the great 50th anniversary commemorative model? Heck, I'll bet Gleda could wrap the tubing on that one!
And it needs to use tumble recovery! :D

snaquin
03-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Sure you can...

Edit the setting for the fin count to "1", then duplicate the fin three more times, changing the radial angle by 90 degrees for each fin. Set the color for three of them to yellow and the last one to black.

Thanks Craig!

I never thought of applying the fins in the design in that manner. I'll have to use that method next time I need to render different colors in the same fin set. The texture screen {origin, position, scale} is what usually give me fits ..... it never does what I expect it to.

While not a true SLS-esque project, I do have an old Hornet project that I recently resurrected. In 2001, my brother in law did an upscale of Der Big Red Max based on an L.O.C. Lil Nuke. Ever since then I wanted to try something similar. That Christmas he bought me a Lil Nuke kit and I got started on what I called the Hemi Hornet. :rolleyes: Not knowing a lot about what I was doing, I used a cheap 60 second epoxy to attach the fins and they came out wobbly. I got mad, stuffed the project under the rocket shelf, and forgot about it. I dragged it out and dusted it off last weekend. The fins look like the teeth you see on people buying scratch off lottery tickets, so I ripped them off and I'm going to start again. The decal was printed a long time ago and I don't know where it got to, so I guess that's going to have to be re-done also. Pics at this point are out of the question, but once it gets off life support I'll try to take a few.

Bill,

Sounds like an interesting project .....

"The fins look like the teeth you see on people buying scratch off lottery tickets, so I ripped them off and I'm going to start again" -

Does that mean the fins are black or are they missing? :eek:

Lil' Nuke would seem to be a pretty good basic kit to bash up and I like the name "Hemi Hornet". That LOC BT-2.14 tubing can take some serious abuse. How did you handle the upscale decal for it?

I never had an original Hornet and it seems it only ran in production for a few short years just before Centuri had run it's course. I really like the looks of the Hornet and the decal is pretty cool too.

snaquin
03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
And it needs to use tumble recovery! :D

Spectators at the launch will be tumbling and running to get away from it ..... :)