PDA

View Full Version : Just another dull day at work...

tbzep
01-26-2007, 09:29 AM
I was minding my own business when I got paged over the intercom to call the office. I called and the secretary's frantic voice yelled out that the football field was on fire. I jogged outside to see about 1/3 of the field already blackened out and the wind was helping it along quite nicely.

I grabbed a piece of cardboard box from the dumpster and went to work snuffing it out while another coach ran off to dig the heavy 3/4" hose out that we use for watering the field. After 10 or 15 minutes by myself, bending over and snuffing out the thick bermuda with the cardboard, I had all but about 10 ft knocked out. That's when the other coach with the hose hollered to get back, he would take care of it. :mad: If he had followed my lead and done what I wanted (I am a firefighter, ya know), we would have had it out in 5 minutes tops.

I walked back inside to the Tech teacher and casually asked her if she had been using Kleenex for recovery wadding. She said yes, but she'd used it before. DOH! She said the real wadding catches fire too. I replied that it always goes out well before hitting the ground. :rolleyes:

I told her I had some if she needed it, or she could buy crepe paper locally, or she could make the long drive to the big city Hobby Lobby and grab some there. I didn't get into dog barf, lettuce, or borax solutions because she wasn't happy at that point. Neither was I because the office didn't call the fire dept. See, I would have gotten paid for putting the fire out if we had paged out the dept. But nooooooo! :mad:

I sent the Tech teacher an email today with an attached file. The file is a little video I cooked up with flashing lights and audio of a siren. Dangit, she didn't come to work today. I'll have to wait until Monday to see the look on her face and find out how good her sense of humor is. :p

BTW, I'm going to print out a copy of the NAR safety code and highlight the flameproof recovery wadding portion. I think I'll take it down to the laminator and fix it up all pretty for her. ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I was minding my own business when I got paged over the intercom to call the office. I called and the secretary's frantic voice yelled out that the football field was on fire. I jogged outside to see about 1/3 of the field already blackened out and the wind was helping it along quite nicely.

I grabbed a piece of cardboard box from the dumpster and went to work snuffing it out while another coach ran off to dig the heavy 3/4" hose out that we use for watering the field. After 10 or 15 minutes by myself, bending over and snuffing out the thick bermuda with the cardboard, I had all but about 10 ft knocked out. That's when the other coach with the hose hollered to get back, he would take care of it. :mad: If he had followed my lead and done what I wanted (I am a firefighter, ya know), we would have had it out in 5 minutes tops.

I walked back inside to the Tech teacher and casually asked her if she had been using Kleenex for recovery wadding. She said yes, but she'd used it before. DOH! She said the real wadding catches fire too. I replied that it always goes out well before hitting the ground. :rolleyes:

I told her I had some if she needed it, or she could buy crepe paper locally, or she could make the long drive to the big city Hobby Lobby and grab some there. I didn't get into dog barf, lettuce, or borax solutions because she wasn't happy at that point. Neither was I because the office didn't call the fire dept. See, I would have gotten paid for putting the fire out if we had paged out the dept. But nooooooo! :mad:

I sent the Tech teacher an email today with an attached file. The file is a little video I cooked up with flashing lights and audio of a siren. Dangit, she didn't come to work today. I'll have to wait until Monday to see the look on her face and find out how good her sense of humor is. :p

BTW, I'm going to print out a copy of the NAR safety code and highlight the flameproof recovery wadding portion. I think I'll take it down to the laminator and fix it up all pretty for her. ;)

I WAS ASLEEP ALL DAY!
Geez, set one little park fire with your Bomarc and you're marked for life.
Okay, in all seriousness, wear a cup to school on Monday. I've got a feeling that the tech chick isn't going to see much humor in your file. :eek: ;) :D

tbzep
01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
I WAS ASLEEP ALL DAY!
Geez, set one little park fire with your Bomarc and you're marked for life.
Okay, in all seriousness, wear a cup to school on Monday. I've got a feeling that the tech chick isn't going to see much humor in your file. :eek: ;) :D

Yep, I doubt she will see the humor in it that I do. :p

BTW, I almost titled the thread "Deja Vu for One of You". :D

Nuke Rocketeer
01-29-2007, 07:33 AM

What do you coach and teach at that school? And you must be in Texas or some other southern state to have a bermuda grass field. Some tech teacher she is to not carefully research what she is doing before jumping into it...... :rolleyes:

tbzep
01-29-2007, 08:41 AM
What do you coach and teach at that school? And you must be in Texas or some other southern state to have a bermuda grass field. Some tech teacher she is to not carefully research what she is doing before jumping into it...... :rolleyes:

I teach 8th grade Science. I've got a student teacher right now, so I'm loafing. :) I coach Jr. High football and I had High School Softball for about 10 years, but I've just given it up. I will be able to enjoy a work free spring break for the first time in 10 years. I wonder what it will feel like. :)

I live in Tennessee. It's plenty hot for thick healthy bermuda here. It probably starts growing a few weeks earlier in TX, though.