PDA

View Full Version : Payin' the cost to be the boss...

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
When I arrived at work tonight, I found out that I was the only one from my shift who was going to be in due to the weather. We start at 10:00 and one guy called at 7:00. The younger generation just doesn't have the sand, baby. :rolleyes: ;)

ghrocketman
02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
If your weather is anything like we have in Mi. tonight I don't blame him....blowing foot of.... snow 30-50 mph wind...ice coated roads....

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
If your weather is anything like we have in Mi. tonight I don't blame him....blowing foot of.... snow 30-50 mph wind...ice coated roads....

Nah, they're pansies. If I can make it in, everyone should make it in. I live on the biggest hill. :D
Just for fun I've been answering the phones "Iron Man Bill speaking. How can I help you?" If they ask why I'm the Iron Man, I tell them that I've never missed a day (night) of work due to the weather in 22 years. Longer than that if you consider the jobs I had in high school and college. Once in 1982 when my car was snowed in I started walking to work. I'd gone about a mile when a Lite beer truck came past driving REAL slow. I took two steps and hopped on. He took me to within 150 yards of work. Took a while, but I actually got to work early. :cool: I've always had a soft spot for Miller Lite since then.
Well, for beer in general. :rolleyes:

barone
02-14-2007, 07:01 AM
....... I've always had a soft spot for Miller Lite since then.
Well, for beer in general. :rolleyes:Yeah , me too. Just above my belt ;)

Ltvscout
02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Miller Lite since then.
Mmmm, beer.

Nuke Rocketeer
02-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Nah, they're pansies. If I can make it in, everyone should make it in. I live on the biggest hill.
I've always had a soft spot for Miller Lite since then.

Yep Pansies they are! KIDS!!!! Remember when we walked to work naked uphill both ways hip deep in snow?? :D

My soft spot for beer is also right above my belt. On the other hand, I have an overdeveloped right arm from so many 12 oz curls.

Joe W

Rocketflyer
02-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Mmmm, beer.

Yes, the elixir of life. Cures what "ALES" you and "ALES" what cures you. Best with pizza or hoagies.

barone
02-14-2007, 09:05 AM
....... Best with pizza or hoagies.And hot wings :D

tbzep
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Beer is best....with another beer. ;)

barone
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Beer is best....with another beer. ;)Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh :)

Bob H
02-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Nah, they're pansies. If I can make it in, everyone should make it in. I live on the biggest hill. :D
Just for fun I've been answering the phones "Iron Man Bill speaking. How can I help you?" If they ask why I'm the Iron Man, I tell them that I've never missed a day (night) of work due to the weather in 22 years.
I didn't let snow, sleet, and freezing rain stop me from going to work today.

No sir! I took my laptop, walked all the way upstairs, plugged it it and started working. :rolleyes:

heada
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Homer: Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems.

Homer: Homer no function beer well without.

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?
Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.
Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.

Barney: Hello, my name is Barney Gumble, and I'm an alcoholic.
Lisa: Mr Gumble, this is a girl scouts meeting.
Barney: Is it, or is it you girls can't admit that you have a problem?

Duffman: Hey Duff lovers! Does anyone in this bar loooove Duff?
Carl: Hey, it's Duffman!
Lenny: Newsweek said you died of liver failure.
Duffman: Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him. Ooh yeah!

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!

Barney: Hey, Homer, I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and the other case, there's only one case left.

Homer: Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get.

I made it to work today and work called me yesterday to tell me it was closed...but I worked from home (the joys of being a system admin...I can work from anywhere theres internet access)

As my dad (jokingly) told me:

I used to walk 5 miles to school up hill both ways in 10 feet of snow barefoot with hot baked potatoes in my pockets to keep my hands warm and I ate cold mashed potatoes for lunch...and I liked it! (he grew up in upper MT, so it actually could be true....I don't know)

-Aaron

Bazookadale
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I used to be the Ironman too, got perfect attendance awards year after year. Totaled my car driving in freezing rain and injured my back20 years ago which bothers me to this day. Worked many 64-80 hour weeks at Armstrong World Industries only to get the boot to make room for a younger man. Now in my 50's I feel I missed the best part of my youth by putting work before all else

I worked my 12 hour shift last nite and came home to spend several hours chiping ice and snow off the driveway. Know what? I'm calling off tonight - the local PBS station is rerunning Black Adder at 4 AM and perfect attendance just doesn't mean what it used to :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Homer: Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems.

Homer: Homer no function beer well without.

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?
Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.
Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.

Barney: Hello, my name is Barney Gumble, and I'm an alcoholic.
Lisa: Mr Gumble, this is a girl scouts meeting.
Barney: Is it, or is it you girls can't admit that you have a problem?

Duffman: Hey Duff lovers! Does anyone in this bar loooove Duff?
Carl: Hey, it's Duffman!
Lenny: Newsweek said you died of liver failure.
Duffman: Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him. Ooh yeah!

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!

Barney: Hey, Homer, I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and the other case, there's only one case left.

Homer: Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get.

I made it to work today and work called me yesterday to tell me it was closed...but I worked from home (the joys of being a system admin...I can work from anywhere theres internet access)

As my dad (jokingly) told me:

I used to walk 5 miles to school up hill both ways in 10 feet of snow barefoot with hot baked potatoes in my pockets to keep my hands warm and I ate cold mashed potatoes for lunch...and I liked it! (he grew up in upper MT, so it actually could be true....I don't know)

-Aaron

You forgot the most obvious one. "Mmm, beer." :D (I know it might have sounded like Scott already got it, but that was just him, not Homer.)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I used to be the Ironman too, got perfect attendance awards year after year. Totaled my car driving in freezing rain and injured my back20 years ago which bothers me to this day. Worked many 64-80 hour weeks at Armstrong World Industries only to get the boot to make room for a younger man. Now in my 50's I feel I missed the best part of my youth by putting work before all else

I worked my 12 hour shift last nite and came home to spend several hours chiping ice and snow off the driveway. Know what? I'm calling off tonight - the local PBS station is rerunning Black Adder at 4 AM and perfect attendance just doesn't mean what it used to :)

Perfect attendance means something? :confused:
I had it five years straight back in the mid-90's and my FSOS boss gave me an "adequate" for attendance in that fifth year. When I pointed this out, he said, "I'm a tough grader." I tossed the review back in his face, literally, and only kept from going over the desk and beating the fat out of him by the slimmest of margins. He got fired about a month later.

Bazookadale
02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
I had it five years straight back in the mid-90's and my FSOS boss gave me an "adequate" for attendance in that fifth year. When I pointed this out, he said, "I'm a tough grader." I tossed the review back in his face, literally, and only kept from going over the desk and beating the fat out of him by the slimmest of margins. He got fired about a month later.

Are you on merit increases? I've never had an accident or a safety write up in my 4 years with my current company (never in my life actually) I get "average" safety ratings on my annual reviews, if they gave me "excellent" ratings across the board they'd have to give me a full raise! :mad:

JRThro
02-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Does "FSOS" mean something that starts with "Fat Sack"?

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Are you on merit increases? I've never had an accident or a safety write up in my 4 years with my current company (never in my life actually) I get "average" safety ratings on my annual reviews, if they gave me "excellent" ratings across the board they'd have to give me a full raise! :mad:

Nah, the standard 1% raise. I'm in banking! :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
02-15-2007, 10:27 PM
A 1% raise is a joke/slap in the face....one needs to get at least a 3% raise a year just to keep up with inflation; anything less than that is actually a loss in purchasing power.
I guess I'm lucky that my company still gives real raises along with still having a pension plan.
I'm sure the fat-cat upper management that sets those ridiculously low raises probably gets a big fat bonus for keeping labor costs down though ay ?

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Does "FSOS" mean something that starts with "Fat Sack"?

Yes. And the "O" stands for "of". Care to solve the puzzle? :D

JRThro
02-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Yes. And the "O" stands for "of". Care to solve the puzzle? :D
I'd like to buy a vowel!