PDA

View Full Version : Estes Fin Alignment tool question

Chris_Timm
02-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I found my plastic fin alignment guide, but I'm missing the motor tube adapter piece that fits into the base. Anyone have one that they could photograph to give me an idea of what to search for in my box of stuff? Its gotta be here somewhere.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I found my plastic fin alignment guide, but I'm missing the motor tube adapter piece that fits into the base. Anyone have one that they could photograph to give me an idea of what to search for in my box of stuff? Its gotta be here somewhere.

I could swear that it was just a 13mm engine casing that slipped into the hole.

tbzep
02-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I could swear that it was just a 13mm engine casing that slipped into the hole.

IIRC, mine came with inert 13mm and 18mm cases. Seems like they had a piece ofwhite label paper that was supposed to wrap around them first. I know I've got a couple of those cases like that, but can't be 100% sure they came with the alignment guide.

BTW, mine was a total POS. The guides wobbled badly in the base slots and were a little warped to boot. I could line the fins up better after a case of cheap beer (in my college years) than with the guide. For that matter, the yellow Estes ruler/fin guide was a POS too. It was warped like everything when I got it.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-24-2007, 03:08 PM
IIRC, mine came with inert 13mm and 18mm cases. Seems like they had a piece ofwhite label paper that was supposed to wrap around them first. I know I've got a couple of those cases like that, but can't be 100% sure they came with the alignment guide.

BTW, mine was a total POS. The guides wobbled badly in the base slots and were a little warped to boot. I could line the fins up better after a case of cheap beer (in my college years) than with the guide. For that matter, the yellow Estes ruler/fin guide was a POS too. It was warped like everything when I got it.

That's how mine was. Two blank casings. Mine doesn't work all that well either, but at least my fin guide wasn't warped.

Chris_Timm
02-24-2007, 03:50 PM
No wonder I couldn't find it.
Empty engine casings are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-24-2007, 05:28 PM
No wonder I couldn't find it.
Empty engine casings are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys.

No problem.
A little tip. If you're working on your rockets on the deck, don't forget and leave your fin guide out there when it rains. Those empty engine casings will swell. :(
Who knew? :rolleyes: ;)

handeman
03-17-2007, 01:46 PM
No problem.
A little tip. If you're working on your rockets on the deck, don't forget and leave your fin guide out there when it rains. Those empty engine casings will swell. :(
Who knew? :rolleyes: ;)

Sounds like the voice of experience.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Sounds like the voice of experience.

Are you saying I sometimes screw up? :eek:
You catch on fast. :D ;)

handeman
03-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Are you saying I sometimes screw up? :eek:
You catch on fast. :D ;)

You know what they say, it takes one to know one. :rolleyes: