PDA

View Full Version : New from Semroc

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-08-2005, 11:56 PM
For all of you Firefly fans......
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-8

Wonder how this one would scale up for 24mm? (That's what I was expecting when I saw TEXAS.)

Ltvscout
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Wonder how this one would scale up for 24mm? (That's what I was expecting when I saw TEXAS.)
Cool! I'll have to pick up one of these. I see they're coming out with an MMI Aerobee-Hi clone as well.

Eagle3
05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Cool! I'll have to pick up one of these. I see they're coming out with an MMI Aerobee-Hi clone as well.

You used to be able to check out all of the planned kits and DL most of their rocksim files. The Aerobee-Hi was viewable way back when. Lately I've only been able to see the kits that are released and the few in the "Coming Soon" list.

Ltvscout
05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
You used to be able to check out all of the planned kits and DL most of their rocksim files. The Aerobee-Hi was viewable way back when. Lately I've only been able to see the kits that are released and the few in the "Coming Soon" list.
Must be user error, or PEBKAC. ;) I was able to view the Aerobee-Hi link just fine today.

Eagle3
05-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Must be user error, or PEBKAC. ;) I was able to view the Aerobee-Hi link just fine today.

I didn't explain myself well. ;)

When Semroc's site was new, you could see all of the kits that they had planned to release at the time including the Aerobee-Hi, as well as the released kits. At some point the unreleased kit pages were removed or the links were just pulled "except" the ones in the "Coming Soon" list. Today you can see the Aerobee-Hi. Yesterday you couldn't. ;)

Ltvscout
05-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I didn't explain myself well. ;)

When Semroc's site was new, you could see all of the kits that they had planned to release at the time including the Aerobee-Hi, as well as the released kits. At some point the unreleased kit pages were removed or the links were just pulled "except" the ones in the "Coming Soon" list. Today you can see the Aerobee-Hi. Yesterday you couldn't. ;)
Ah, now I know what you're talking about. Yes, I remember how all of the kits were listed at one time, even the ones not yet made. Maybe Carl would consider putting that page back for us that like drooling over things to (possibly) come?

Tau Zero
05-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Ah, now I know what you're talking about. Yes, I remember how all of the kits were listed at one time, even the ones not yet made. Maybe Carl would consider putting that page back for us that like drooling over things to (possibly) come?Certainly you don't mean *this* link, do you? (maniacal Dr. Evil laugh)

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/KitSelection.asp

Cheers,

--Jay :cool:

Ltvscout
05-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Certainly you don't mean *this* link, do you? (maniacal Dr. Evil laugh)

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/KitSelection.asp

Cheers,

That's the one, but darned if I can find it perusing the website!

Carl@Semroc
05-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Ah, now I know what you're talking about. Yes, I remember how all of the kits were listed at one time, even the ones not yet made. Maybe Carl would consider putting that page back for us that like drooling over things to (possibly) come?

The Kit Selection (http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/KitSelection.asp) page is back with all the kits! There were so many comments about advertising kits that were not ready, I took the link off. It takes about 200 hours to get each kit ready so resources have to be managed and prioritized. This is our current wish list. It does not include the ThunderStorm, Orion, Egg Crate, Centaur, Taurus, Eos, and some others that are in the works.

Tau Zero
05-09-2005, 10:28 PM
That's the one, but darned if I can find it perusing the website!Yeah, the link just kind of evaporated, but I was glad I'd managed to save it in my "Favorites." :D

Cheers,

--Jay
(Keeping all *kinds* of *other* secrets, too...)

Ltvscout
05-09-2005, 10:32 PM
The Kit Selection (http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/KitSelection.asp) page is back with all the kits! There were so many comments about advertising kits that were not ready, I took the link off. It takes about 200 hours to get each kit ready so resources have to be managed and prioritized. This is our current wish list. It does not include the ThunderStorm, Orion, Egg Crate, Centaur, Taurus, Eos, and some others that are in the works.

Thanks, Carl. If people can't understand what Coming Soon or Planned means, well...

Egg Crate, bonus! Orion, double bonus! Will the Orion have the plastic wraps? I have an original built Orion with the balsa cone if you need a cone for a template.

I'm sure you just forgot to include the Payloader II in your list above. ;)

Now, if you can bring back the BP F100 motors with those FSI kits you're going to be making... :D

Carl@Semroc
05-09-2005, 10:34 PM

I just wanted a FireFly that I could fly. I ran out of A10 boosters and it is no fun flying as a single stage. With modified engine mounts, it can fly with 24mm engines. It needs more nose weight and a MUCH larger field! The prototype flew with a C6-0 to C6-7 at Whitakers a few weeks ago. All I have left of it is the booster.

NOW I see what your marketing plan is, Bill! Sell more replacement upper stages.

Carl@Semroc
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM

The Aerobee-Hi we initially planned was based on the ST-8, slightly larger than the original. We are now doing a BT-40 sized version, very similar to the earliest production runs of the MMI Aerobee-Hi in 1957. The original MMI Aerobee-Hi used a maple nose cone that was later changed to the vinyl one. Estes bought all the remaining stock from Harry and sold it as the BT-40G. Vern said that all the BT-40's they ever sold were bought from Harry. Gleda rolled the first BT-30's but never the BT-40's.

Now I can build an Arrow-C, Bug-A-Bye, ...

Ltvscout
05-09-2005, 10:59 PM
The Aerobee-Hi we initially planned was based on the ST-8, slightly larger than the original. We are now doing a BT-40 sized version, very similar to the earliest production runs of the MMI Aerobee-Hi in 1957. The original MMI Aerobee-Hi used a maple nose cone that was later changed to the vinyl one. Estes bought all the remaining stock from Harry and sold it as the BT-40G. Vern said that all the BT-40's they ever sold were bought from Harry. Gleda rolled the first BT-30's but never the BT-40's.

Now I can build an Arrow-C, Bug-A-Bye, ...
I don't have any MMI kits, but I do have original BT-40, a maple cone and a couple of the vinyl/rubber cones here. I'd like to find some of that BT-30 that Gleda rolled using that old mimeograph paper or whatever that old copying machine was called.

Eagle3
05-10-2005, 06:54 AM
My guess would have been that you got tired of answering e-mails, "when's xxxxx going to be ready?" ;)

... and thanks for the link Jay. :)

Sirius Rocketry
05-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Carl. If people can't understand what Coming Soon or Planned means, well...

Egg Crate, bonus! Orion, double bonus! Will the Orion have the plastic wraps?

Hmmm.... Talked a bit with Carl on just that at NARCON. ;-) But we are all so busy it is hard to talk more!

Tau Zero
05-10-2005, 11:13 PM
My guess would have been that you got tired of answering e-mails, "when's xxxxx going to be ready?" ;)Now *really,* who would possibly think of doing *that?* ;)

... and thanks for the link Jay. :)No problem. I'm only one of Carl's many unofficial publicity folks. :D

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
No problem. I'm only one of Carl's many unofficial publicity folks. :D

Cheers,

Kind of like that Mr. Wendy's guy, but less obtrusive. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Speaking of Semroc, I should have some pretty cool pics to share tomorrow night. It's not an official release as yet, but it's Semroc through and through.
I would have had them tonight but I had cafeteria today and didn't get as far along on it as I had hoped I would. (And the Reds were on. And they won. :eek: )