PDA

View Full Version : Sport Rocketry Article - Mabel

kurtschachner
03-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Those of you who are reading the March/April article about Mabel might find this interesting. On page 10 there is an aerial view of Estes Industries with some of the buildings marked. Here is the Google Earth placemark to compare against today. You can see what is still remaining and what has been torn down.

It looks to me as though the Estes' house is gone.

P.S. I had to zip up the .kmz file to get it to upload.

dwmzmm
04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I just got my March/April Sport Rocketry yesterday, and really learned a thing or two reading the article about Mabel and Vern Estes. Looks like he really dove into the creation
of this machine with a burning passion! I have to say Vern has earned my utmost respect
now that I can read, in more detail, the trials and tribulations he went through so that more
limbs/lives can be saved. And also for Gleda for really standing by Vern through all this.

This article, in my opinion, is a "must read" for all rocketeers...

PaulK
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
... I have to say Vern has earned my utmost respect
now that I can read, in more detail, the trials and tribulations he went through so that more
limbs/lives can be saved. And also for Gleda for really standing by Vern through all this...Agreed. And then to find out that someone threw Mabel out! :eek:

Beaker
04-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Agreed. And then to find out that someone threw Mabel out! :eek:

That was the saddest thing I learned from writing the article. I sort of hoped that one day there might be a national model rocket museum, and it would contain Mabel as a working display behind a plexiglass wall...and you could feed in a dollar and watch Mabel crank out and deliver your own (inert) souvenir motor.