PDA

View Full Version : Black Knight Fin Pattern Sheet

DeanHFox
03-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Lately I've gotten onto a "build some birds from old Estes MRN/DOM plans" kick, so I was making my list of balsa to buy at NARCON from BMS, Semroc, et al.

One of the plans I've always wanted to build was the Black Knight (neat rear-ejection bird, see Estes plan over at JimZ http://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_71.htm).

The parts list indicates a part FP-1-71, and states "Fin pattern will be sent free with order if requested, or send a self-addressed stamped envelope".

Does anyone happen to have this fin pattern sheet laying around somewhere? I didn't spot it at JimZ nor here at YORP, but there's always the chance I just overlooked it.

Any assistance in locating these fin patterns would be greatly appreciated. :)

stefanj
03-08-2007, 12:06 AM
They're at Ye Olde Rocket Plans:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrn/designs/Black_Knight_Fin_Template.tif

I recently bought the parts for the Black Knight myself. I knew the fin set was out there, but forgot where, so your question spurred me to look and maybe get me working on the actual model!

We need a White Knight to go along with this. Any ideas?

stefanj
03-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh, wait!

The plan shows a "rudder fin" that looks a bit different than the one at the link I posted, and also some other balsa parts.

I think someone is going to have to dig through their archives again.

Ltvscout
03-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Oh, wait!

The plan shows a "rudder fin" that looks a bit different than the one at the link I posted, and also some other balsa parts.

I think someone is going to have to dig through their archives again.
If there's a different pattern out there, please send a scan to me to post if someone finds it. Thank you!

mojo1986
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Scott..............in going through a box of old Estes material I came upon a photocopy of the original Black Knight pattern sheet (this is from the hoard that was in the possession of a former Estes employee). So because it's not the original, I can't vouch for the fin dimensions, but I have a sneaking hunch that they are very close to being correct, if not spot on. If you still need this I can take a scan and email it to you.

Joe

Ltvscout
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Scott..............in going through a box of old Estes material I came upon a photocopy of the original Black Knight pattern sheet (this is from the hoard that was in the possession of a former Estes employee). So because it's not the original, I can't vouch for the fin dimensions, but I have a sneaking hunch that they are very close to being correct, if not spot on. If you still need this I can take a scan and email it to you.
I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Joe!

stefanj
02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Woohoo! I've been waiting for a "find" like that for nearly a year.

DeanHFox
02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Me, too. :)

mojo1986
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
OK, guys, hopefully this will be useful to you. I scanned as a JPEG (also did a TIFF) and reduced the image in Paint to 88KB. Hopefully I will be able to attach it here.

Joe

mojo1986
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, that seems to have worked. For you purists, on your printout the root edge of the fin (NOT the rudder) should be precisely 5 1/2" long. If your printer doesn't print it out correctly you may have to fiddle with your printer settings (I have found that you should not allow the 'fit to page' setting; rather use the 'print actual size' setting). Let me know if everything works out OK; you will probably have to let Scott (LTVScout) know if it doesn't............he will undoubtedly be able to offer more assistance than I can. Good luck, guys!

Joe

DeanHFox
02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Joe, THANK YOU!!!

(now I can crank out that Black Knight!) :)

stefanj
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm going to start building mine when I get back from vacation!

Anyone have any ideas for a White Knight? Something a little less angular?

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm going to start building mine when I get back from vacation!

Well don't keep us in suspense! Where are you going? ;)

stefanj
02-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Visiting my parents in Titusville. I might take a tour of the space center.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Visiting my parents in Titusville. I might take a tour of the space center.
:cool: Say hello to Johnny Apollo if you see him. :cool:

SEL
02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Well, that seems to have worked. For you purists, on your printout the root edge of the fin (NOT the rudder) should be precisely 5 1/2" long. If your printer doesn't print it out correctly you may have to fiddle with your printer settings (I have found that you should not allow the 'fit to page' setting; rather use the 'print actual size' setting). Let me know if everything works out OK; you will probably have to let Scott (LTVScout) know if it doesn't............he will undoubtedly be able to offer more assistance than I can. Good luck, guys!

Joe

Thanks Joe!!

Sean

Ltvscout
07-11-2008, 11:55 PM
OK, guys, hopefully this will be useful to you. I scanned as a JPEG (also did a TIFF) and reduced the image in Paint to 88KB. Hopefully I will be able to attach it here.

Joe
Joe,

I forgot you posted this here. I was reminded of it by Carl when Kevin asked about the templates on OldRockets. I've now updated my Black Knight plans on YORP to include this Estes template for the fins, rudder and antenna.

Thanks again!