PDA

View Full Version : 4 X 18mm Nike Hercules Build

sandman
04-11-2007, 08:08 PM
OK, I got it mostly completed. It still needs paint and some details but here goes.

The first pics are of the booster construction.

Pic one shows the spacers used for the boosters

Pic two shows the booster's motor tubes and body finished with the fins glued on.

Note how the motor tubes "stick up" past the main body tube. Those short motor tubes will fit into the transition.

sandman
04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Next comes the transition.

The first pic shows the "basic" transition before I did the final shaping.

The next three pics show the shaping tool. It's a 3/4" sanding drum glued onto a 3/4" wood dowel.

The last pic shows the "rough" final shape before finish sanding with fine grit.

sandman
04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Next comes the Sustainer.

First pic is the sustainer fin fillets The fins are 1/16" basswood.

The second pic shows the indicator mark on the nose cone so I can line it up correctly later.

Pic three show the upper fins on the nose cone.

Pic four show the fin moveable control vane details. OK mine don't really control the vanes...it's just for looks! :rolleyes:

sandman
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Final pic is the "basically" completed prototype model.

Remember, this is a prototype I just came up with the other day! :o

OK, it was my wife's idea to make a smaller one. ;)

It stands a little over 26" tall and without paint and a little more detail it weighs in at 4.3 oz.

I still have to ballance it for CG/CP location and add a lead weight to the nose.

I'll let the Elmer's glue dry a few days and try to get it painted this weekend.

I am really looking forward to flying this beast...But I hate flying naked!

rosko_racer
04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
...But I hate flying naked!

...Ah, but the wind feels good..... AHEM... never mind that last comment....

Sandman, you did it again. Awesome build of one of my favorite rockets. I may have to snitch one of those also but I have to consult with the W I F E on that one... Looking good.

tonypv
04-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Boy, the more I see of the rocket the more I can't wait!
Great work as always.

dwmzmm
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Launch pictures, please! Great looking build you got there!

sandman
04-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Remember!

I just finished the prototype!

Oh...BTW if you want a roc sim of it just open Roc Sim. :D

There's already one in there...a smaller version but the CP should be in the same place...more or less.

pantherjon
04-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Man I hate you! :D j/k

Awesome looking rocket! Going on my 'must have' list!

Here's to calm clear skies for the launch(es) this weekend! :)

Jon

Rocketflyer
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Sandman, that is a good looking prototype.. Very nice craftsmanship. :)

Jack

Doug Sams
04-12-2007, 10:17 AM
It stands a little over 26" tall and without paint and a little more detail it weighs in at 4.3 oz.

I still have to ballance it for CG/CP location and add a lead weight to the nose.

I'll let the Elmer's glue dry a few days and try to get it painted this weekend.

I am really looking forward to flying this beast...But I hate flying naked!So Gordon, what do you think? Can we stage this thing? I was wondering if two boosters could be funneled (at the top) for igniting the sustainer. The other two booster motors would have delays and be used to deploy the recovery system. What all kinds of modifications would this take? Too much trouble?

Thanks.
Doug

sandman
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
So Gordon, what do you think? Can we stage this thing? I was wondering if two boosters could be funneled (at the top) for igniting the sustainer. The other two booster motors would have delays and be used to deploy the recovery system. What all kinds of modifications would this take? Too much trouble?

Thanks.
Doug

Doug,

That is what I had in mind from the begining on the larger version.

I don't think it would be that difficult but it would be a lot of work and a lot of prep. The transition is already drilled with four holes going to one hole to channel ejection gasses.

Two of the motors are booster motors and will (hopefully) ignite the sustainer.

The other two motors with short delays deploy recovery via rear ejection. Probably streamers on the smaller version. 12" chutes on the larger version.

This eliminates the need for the transition to both channel the second stage ignition and eject for deployment.

Another problem that MUST be addressed is if the sustainer would be stable all on it's own. I think it would. The sustainer nose cone is drilled with a 3/4" hole for nose weight on my prototype.

I'm pretty sure that would work but it was just too much to try to design into a kit.

I wasn't so sure that everyone would want a 4 x 24mm booster to 24mm sustainer scale model. That may be a bit much for some people.

foose4string
04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm not hung up on making this thing go two stage, but if it can that's great... and I'd be soooo tempted to try. But really, there's enough of a risk factor just from the cluster aspect, so I'm not going to push too hard to make mine a two stage. Having a booster with four empty casings, basswood fins, and a big balsa transition, engine mounts, etc., recovering with a streamer makes me cringe a little too. I'd rather see the whole thing return safely, in one piece, under a large chute! A successful staging would have an unparalleled coolness factor, but so would getting my pricey Roachworks kit back from the sky.... without any damage! ;) :D

sandman
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not hung up on making this thing go two stage, but if it can that's great... and I'd be soooo tempted to try. But really, there's enough of a risk factor just from the cluster aspect, so I'm not going to push too hard to make mine a two stage. Having a booster with four empty casings, basswood fins, and a big balsa transition, engine mounts, etc., recovering with a streamer makes me cringe a little too. I'd rather see the whole thing return safely, in one piece, under a large chute! A successful staging would have an unparalleled coolness factor, but so would getting my pricey Roachworks kit back from the sky.... without any damage! ;) :D

Actually those were my thoughts exactly...except the very last part. :rolleyes:

foose4string
04-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Actually those were my thoughts exactly...except the very last part. :rolleyes:

I wasn't implying that it wasn't worth it. I'm on board my friend! :) .....it's just that it will probably cost a little more than I want to part with, that's all. Getting it back safely would make me pretty darn happy ! ;) Unfortunately, there's waaaaay more cool kits out there than there is budget, but I don't want to miss out on this one. :)

ghost
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Any price estimates? :rolleyes:

Also, what is the most useful tool for making your own nose cones/transitions? I was thinking of trying to make my own nose cones

sandman
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Any price estimates? :rolleyes:

Nothing yet. I'm still trying to get some better prices on parts.

Also, what is the most useful tool for making your own nose cones/transitions? I was thinking of trying to make my own nose cones

A Lathe. A good one!

But a drill press will work.

sandman
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I wasn't implying that it wasn't worth it. I'm on board my friend! :) .....it's just that it will probably cost a little more than I want to part with, that's all. Getting it back safely would make me pretty darn happy ! ;) Unfortunately, there's waaaaay more cool kits out there than there is budget, but I don't want to miss out on this one. :)

Oh, I meant that last part referring to me...I can always make myself another one. :D I never make myself a kit...I just grab parts out of a box.

foose4string
04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Well, YOU have your drawings. As long as you have those your pretty much set.

gilatrout
04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Please put me down for 1 of each size and 1 more, (I cant decide which right now) for staging.

The decision wasn't easy, and it went something like this....

Lets see hmmm.....

I'm already down for 1 kit.

I'm just gonna have to have one of the small kits too... just because. Oh and 1 to stage so that's 2 small kits. Should I get a spare? Sure! OK that's 3 small ones.

Now the large one... I'm already down for one. How about staged? OK what the heck, get 2 of the biguns. A third? In for a penny, in for a pound. So 3 of them too.

Checking walllet.....
Checks toy budget.....

Control... Control....

Do I really need 3 of each? Well no.... Do I want 3 of each? Well duh!... Yes!

<wife>What you thinking about?
<me>nuthing....
<wife>Yeah right, What are you thinking about?
<me>rockets.
<wife>You can have just 1
<me>But puhleaseeee cann I get 2. It's gonna be really cool you see it's a Nike and I can stage it too! So can I huh, can I????.....