PDA

View Full Version : Let the bidding begin!

Eagle3
05-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Man, what do you think this will go for?

Factory Built Centuri Orion (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2567&item=5975301828&rd=1)

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-13-2005, 04:02 PM
I looked at it last night at work, but the picture wouldn't show. Looks pretty nice, and the surprising thing was the low opening bid. Nice to see that someone is confident enough in the end value of a rocket not to start the bidding at $50. (Which wouldn't have been a bad starting price either.)

Ltvscout
05-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Factory Built Centuri Orion (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2567&item=5975301828&rd=1)
I dunno. A buck two-eighty? ;)

Be prepared to bid up, Bill. I'm waiting till the end. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-14-2005, 09:18 AM
It seemed like everyone was afraid to start, so I tossed a couple thou at it just to get the ball rolling. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Missed it by THIS much! :D

Ltvscout
05-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Missed it by THIS much! :D
Heh, after I saw it hit $50+, I said no way.

Eagle3
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Yea, you can get the Neubauer Orion II Kit for under $50. Of course it isn't pre-built by a rocket expert.... :rolleyes:

BTW - has anyone built the Neubaurer Orion II?

Initiator001
05-21-2005, 12:08 AM
BTW - has anyone built the Neubaurer Orion II?

I've been 'building' a Neubaurer Orion II for about a year. :rolleyes:

It has many nice parts (Laser-cut fins, vacuum-form wraps, molded nose cones and a very nice turned balsa cone for the body tube. Oh, water-slide decals).

I've added an ejection baffle and thicker-walled motor mount tube.

Give me another year and I'll get it finished! :D

Bob (Still has a 70% built Estes K-36 Saturn V from 1972).

Ez2cDave
05-26-2005, 10:09 AM

SEE ATTACHMENT . . . !

That went for $987.00 on eBay a couple of years ago . . .

Dave Fitch
NAR 26128
Florida, USA

Initiator001
05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
SEE ATTACHMENT . . . !

That went for $987.00 on eBay a couple of years ago . . .

Wow!

That one is a beauty! It's in better condition then the Aero-Dart kit I have.

Of, course, I didn't pay $1000 for it. ;)

Bob
Kit collector and sometimes builder

Initiator001
03-23-2006, 12:35 AM
I've been 'building' a Neubaurer Orion II for about a year. :rolleyes:

It has many nice parts (Laser-cut fins, vacuum-form wraps, molded nose cones and a very nice turned balsa cone for the body tube. Oh, water-slide decals).

I've added an ejection baffle and thicker-walled motor mount tube.

Give me another year and I'll get it finished! :D

Okay, time for an update.

I have become 'inspired' to get this kit built.

As can be seen in the attached picture, the fins have been attached and the side pods/tanks ("You're welcome" :D ) have been assembled with their standoffs.

The vacuum-form wraps and decal sheet are shown with the model.

My next step will be to prime and paint the pods before attaching them to the model. I'll need some warmer weather before I can do that. :(

Bob

Initiator001
04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Another Neubaurer Orion II building update!

Side pods sealed, primed and attached to model.

I guess the vacuform wraps are next. :rolleyes:

Bob

Initiator001
05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
My Neubaurer Orion II is almost finished with the building phase.

Today, I added the engine nozzle (Not included or noted in the kit), the vacuum-form wraps and launch lugs. This was the first time I've ever done vacuum-form wraps on a rocket kit. It turned out 'okay'.

I hope to spray the model with some Kilz white primer tomorrow and maybe even get some Krylon Gloss White on it. Are there any compatibility issues between the two brands of paint? How long should I wait before spraying the Krylon over the Kilz?

I look forward to the answers.

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Beauty! Any chance of putting something next to it so we can get some idea of scale? It looks like a hoss, but my mind isn't wrapping around it like it would if it was standing next to a Centuri Orion. ;) :cool:

Initiator001
05-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Beauty! Any chance of putting something next to it so we can get some idea of scale? It looks like a hoss, but my mind isn't wrapping around it like it would if it was standing next to a Centuri Orion. ;) :cool:

Ask and Ye shall receive. ;)

Sorry, I don't have a 'built' Centuri Orion to place next to Neubaurer Orion II.

However, I did have a more 'familiar' model nearby that I could use. :D

Good thing I had not yet put the camera away.

Bob

CPMcGraw
05-02-2006, 01:05 AM
My Neubaurer Orion II is almost finished with the building phase.

Today, I added the engine nozzle (Not included or noted in the kit), the vacuum-form wraps and launch lugs. This was the first time I've ever done vacuum-form wraps on a rocket kit. It turned out 'okay'.

I hope to spray the model with some Kilz white primer tomorrow and maybe even get some Krylon Gloss White on it. Are there any compatibility issues between the two brands of paint? How long should I wait before spraying the Krylon over the Kilz?

I look forward to the answers.

Bob

I don't know yet about the Krylon, but don't use the cheap Wally World stuff. I tried some and wound up having to sand it all down back to primer (and beyond) because the cheap stuff didn't bond to the Kilz, it only dried over it. Peeled away like a thin skin off a thick snake...

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Ask and Ye shall receive. ;)

Sorry, I don't have a 'built' Centuri Orion to place next to Neubaurer Orion II.

However, I did have a more 'familiar' model nearby that I could use. :D

Good thing I had not yet put the camera away.

Bob

:rolleyes:
Uh. You're not going to believe this, but I have no idea how big an Initiator is.
Yeah, I don't get out much. :o

Green Dragon
05-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Uh. You're not going to believe this, but I have no idea how big an Initiator is.

Bill,

An Initiator is a 2.6" dia bird, about partway between a Maxi Alpha and an Estes Collosus .

~ AL

Initiator001
05-04-2006, 11:50 PM

Bill,

Sorry to keep you waiting. ;)

Here's a picture of my Initiator with another rocket kit you may have seen.

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Bill,

Sorry to keep you waiting. ;)

Here's a picture of my Initiator with another rocket kit you may have seen.

Bob

No kidding. That means that the Neubauer kit was a much milder upscale than I thought. It looks very close to mine.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/cen_orion.html

Initiator001
05-05-2006, 01:20 AM
No kidding. That means that the Neubauer kit was a much milder upscale than I thought. It looks very close to mine.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/cen_orion.html

That's a nicely built Orion you have, there.

I have an original Orion in the bag but I do not plan to build it. I hope Semroc comes out with a clone kit!

The Neubaurer Orion II works out to be 24" tall. Still fairly impressive. I remember from years ago how 'huge' the original Ranger seemed. Then I bought a Citation Patriot (It was 26" tall). :eek:

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-05-2006, 03:03 AM
The Orion is a clone, not an original. The missing wraps are the tell all. It's still a cool one to tote to the pads. It's not a Semroc kit, but it was built using Semroc parts. The nose cones came from Moldin' Oldies. I'm still looking forward to the Semroc Taurus, but I could get excited about a Semroc Orion.
Wow. Mine is 22.5". All this time I thought the Neubauer kit was at least a 3-footer. Then again, I was shocked at how small my first Taurus clone was. That always struck me as a HUGE rocket in the catalogs as a kid.
My old neighborhood also looks smaller these days. :rolleyes:
BTW, your Ranger group pic made my screen saver at work. You must be so proud. ;) Keep up the Orion pics.

Initiator001
05-05-2006, 12:05 PM
The Orion is a clone, not an original. The missing wraps are the tell all. It's still a cool one to tote to the pads. It's not a Semroc kit, but it was built using Semroc parts. The nose cones came from Moldin' Oldies. I'm still looking forward to the Semroc Taurus, but I could get excited about a Semroc Orion.
Wow. Mine is 22.5". All this time I thought the Neubauer kit was at least a 3-footer. Then again, I was shocked at how small my first Taurus clone was. That always struck me as a HUGE rocket in the catalogs as a kid.
My old neighborhood also looks smaller these days. :rolleyes:
BTW, your Ranger group pic made my screen saver at work. You must be so proud. ;) Keep up the Orion pics.

Bill,

Well, your Orion CLONE looks pretty good. :)

I had the wrong height for the Neubaurer Orion II. I measured it and it is actually about 27 1/4" tall. ;)

I'm honored that my picture made your screen saver. :D

In looking at that picture, again, I noticed that the Citation Patriot model is not a stock one. It is an actual piece of rocketry history. Here's the story.

In 1972, the United States held it's one and only NATIONAL Airshow. It was known as Transpo '72.

As part of the opening ceremonies, there was a mass model rocket launch of Patriot models. These were painted slightly different then the catalog versions (no black fin) and incorporated a 24mm mount to fly on D12 motors. I believe the NARHAMS NAR section was involved with it. Coverage of this event is found in an old copy of Estes Model Rocket News.

Forward to 1990. I'm working at AeroTech when the Sr. Engineer, Dan Meyer, tells me that he was going through his garage and found an old Estes model and asked if I wanted it. I told him sure.

Dan brought in the Patriot. The three fins had broken off and it was dirty but sound, otherwise. I noticed the 24mm mount and remember the Transpo '72 article in MRN. I mentioned this to Dan and he remembered that it came from that launch (He was a member of NARHAMS, back then).

I took the Patriot home and glued the fins back on and didn't think about it for many years.

When NARAM 39 came around in 1997, I took the Patriot with me. I arranged it so that the Patriot would be the first model launched at NARAM. It turned in a successful flight on a D12-5.

The Patriot is now retired from flying.

Bob "History Major" Sanford

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Bill,

Well, your Orion CLONE looks pretty good. :)

I had the wrong height for the Neubaurer Orion II. I measured it and it is actually about 27 1/4" tall. ;)

I'm honored that my picture made your screen saver. :D

In looking at that picture, again, I noticed that the Citation Patriot model is not a stock one. It is an actual piece of rocketry history. Here's the story.

In 1972, the United States held it's one and only NATIONAL Airshow. It was known as Transpo '72.

As part of the opening ceremonies, there was a mass model rocket launch of Patriot models. These were painted slightly different then the catalog versions (no black fin) and incorporated a 24mm mount to fly on D12 motors. I believe the NARHAMS NAR section was involved with it. Coverage of this event is found in an old copy of Estes Model Rocket News.

Forward to 1990. I'm working at AeroTech when the Sr. Engineer, Dan Meyer, tells me that he was going through his garage and found an old Estes model and asked if I wanted it. I told him sure.

Dan brought in the Patriot. The three fins had broken off and it was dirty but sound, otherwise. I noticed the 24mm mount and remember the Transpo '72 article in MRN. I mentioned this to Dan and he remembered that it came from that launch (He was a member of NARHAMS, back then).

I took the Patriot home and glued the fins back on and didn't think about it for many years.

When NARAM 39 came around in 1997, I took the Patriot with me. I arranged it so that the Patriot would be the first model launched at NARAM. It turned in a successful flight on a D12-5.

The Patriot is now retired from flying.

Bob "History Major" Sanford

I've got a Screamin' Mimi out in my room just waiting for a chance to become a Patriot.

Bill "That makes two of us" Eichelberger

Initiator001
07-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Sorry to keep everyone waiting (Was anyone waiting? :rolleyes: )

Here's a picture of my painted Neubauer Orion II kit.

Whew!

Now, all that is left is the decals.

No problem! I still have 2 1/2 weeks until NARAM. ;)

I will post another picture after the decals are done.

Bob

tbzep
07-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Looks good!

Initiator001
07-21-2006, 11:05 PM
I finished my Neubauer Orion II kit tonight.

Thanks to Phred and an 'emergency' decal shipment, the model is ready to be flown at NARAM.

Bob

snaquin
07-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I finished my Neubauer Orion II kit tonight.

Thanks to Phred and an 'emergency' decal shipment, the model is ready to be flown at NARAM.

Bob

Bob, your Orion II looks awesome :D

Vanel
07-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Very, very nice!

Gus
07-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Wow, Bob.

That's really beautiful.

That's one build that was certainly worth the wait.

Fly well at Naram (and share some pics).

Initiator001
07-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I'm still debating whether to fly it on a D12-3 or 'go for it' with an E15-4W.

I'll share some pictures (Possibly while I'm at NARAM).

Bob